Author Topic: 276 Starting Technique / Flooding  (Read 4480 times)

Offline cotterpinkid

• A's Good Friend
276 Starting Technique / Flooding
« on: 01.08. 2011 21:30 »
This has the potential to be my daftest question yet.......

When you tickle a 276, on initial start, do you flood it until it comes out of the holes at the top of the float chamber or do you just give it a couple of depressions of the plunger?

Being used to a monobloc I tickle it until I get a damp finger on the plunger. If I do this on my 276 I'm sure that it would eventually empty the tank as petrol just seems to pour from the jet block.

Have I got something wrong with the carb. or am I just a bit over enthusiatic on the tickling i.e. if the float chamber is full to the top I should expect the carb to flood as much as it does?

Brian

PS

It's just occurred to me that I may be doing this all wrong and only need to tickle it until it comes out of the hole in the jet block rather than the holes in the float chamber *conf*
A10 GF Plunger
Velocette Venom

Offline t20racerman

• A's Good Friend
  • Keep it nailed!
    • The T20 'Super Six' Suzuki website
Re: 276 Starting Technique / Flooding
« Reply #1 on: 01.08. 2011 22:00 »

When you tickle a 276, on initial start, do you flood it until it comes out of the holes at the top of the float chamber or do you just give it a couple of depressions of the plunger?

As a quick answer, and not meaning to be dismissive in any way, which one makes it easiest to start? If a couple of plunger depressions is enough to get it started, stick to that. If not, hold it down longer. Most brit bikes have a preferred way of getting them started - it is just a means of experimenting until you get it right.

My concentric needs flooding copiously, AND the choke lever on, AND the manual ignition backed off a bit AND a very positive and hard kick which begins with me jumping in the air a bit..... works every time. Miss any one of these and it either won't start or kicks back with a vengeance.
1944 WN/G based trials Ariel
1961 A10 - somewhat modified :-)
1967 T20 Suzuki - heavily modified Classic Racer
1967 T20 Suzuki - pretty standard road bike
2007 KTM 660 SMC - fast and furious supermoto
Triumph Tiger (modern one)

"If I had all the money back that I've spent on motorcycles... I'd spend it all on motorcycles!"

Offline cotterpinkid

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 02.08. 2011 08:24 »
t20racerman,

Congratulations on the completion of the A10, a fine looking machine and thanks for the response.

My question is more of a technical one relating to the 276 carb, aimed at those which use this type of carb, although I appreciate that you do have to get use to the starting technique of individual machines (I also own a Venom and most riders have different approaches when starting these up).

To rephrase my question.....should I be concerned over the copious amounts of petrol that pour from the mixing chamber i.e. something isn't sealing correctly or is this just  because I've over filled the float chamber when tickling it and petrol escapes from the small hole (just above the mixing chamber nut) until the float is at its normal operating level?

Thanks

Brian
A10 GF Plunger
Velocette Venom

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 02.08. 2011 08:40 »
G'day Brian,
                been a long while since I took the 276 off the '51 but I remember using the tickler till fuel came out the top of the float chamber. I don't recall fuel ever coming out of the carb body.
 When cold tickle, full choke, 1 slow prime kick then boot into life. Hot just kick.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline cotterpinkid

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 02.08. 2011 09:09 »
Cheers Muskrat,

That's a tentative vote for 'I might have a problem'.

Let's see if I get any more responses, this is purely because I have no experience with 276 carbs and what's normal or not.

Thanks

Brian
A10 GF Plunger
Velocette Venom

Offline orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 02.08. 2011 09:31 »
Hi Brian,
I have a bike the same as yours.
I can win bets on it starting first kick, in any weather, if I follow the following routine:
- Close choke full (lever pushed towards front wheel)
- Hold down tickler button until fuel pisses out of the little holes in the top of the screw on float bowl lid
- bring pistons to TDC
- with throttle shut, on big kick (with follow through)

You beauty; she runs!

And to prove this works (turn the volume up to enjoy):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6--KI2_k344

Richard

Offline terryk

• Valued Contributor
  • Townsville Queensland Australia
« Reply #6 on: 02.08. 2011 14:09 »
I'm in Nth QLD so I dont need choke. I tickle it till fuel squirts out of top of the bowl then it will start first kick with a bit of throttle. If I dont tickle it till fuel squirts out the top it wont start.
1950-53 A10 rigid/plungers, 1958-61 A10 super rockets, 1947-50 A7 longstrokes, 1949 Star twin,
1951-54 A7 plungers, 1940s M21, WDM20s,
1948-50s B33s rigid/plunger/swingarm, 1948-50s b31s rigid/plunger/swingarm

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 02.08. 2011 16:16 »
As others have said these old bikes are quite individual, and you have to experiment until you find the best result. Mine will not start from cold unless I hold down the tickler until a full flow of fuel comes through.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline cotterpinkid

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 02.08. 2011 16:40 »
Thanks for he tips lads. The carb went back on, but I think I'm a bit over advanced on the ignition timing as it's kicking back so I'm in the process of re-check the timing (auto advance and retard).

Brian
A10 GF Plunger
Velocette Venom

Offline ian davies

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 05.11. 2011 21:48 »
Hi there, I have'nt been on here for quite some time, reading through the forum i came across your problem,i had the same on my A7, fuel pouring from the jet block. I have no idea what the little hole is for, so i put some araldite in it about a year ago, no problem since. I,m not saying this is the answer for everyone but it worked for me. All the best Ian
ian davies

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #10 on: 06.11. 2011 10:10 »
Ian... The little hole in the jet block is there to drain excess petrol in the mixing chamber due to an overfilled reservoir, this prevents ignited petrol being blasted out all over the riders leg if a backfire should happen, the hole was only put there on the later 276's.

Tickling should stop when petrol is seen around that lower nut where the drain hole is, there is no need to hold the tickler button in till petrol gushes out at the top. The top hole in the reservoir is to allow air to escape out of the top when petrol fills the reservoir chamber, its not there for petrol gush out because as can be understood this would be highly uneconomical and another fire risk depending which way the petrol spurts out.

Experimentation and close observation is needed and it is okay to remove the top float chamber to adjust float hight while chamber is full of petrol, notice that there is a small notch on the float needle in which to slide the float up and down it a small amount. Check float spring is holding onto needle tightly and check hole is clean where top of needle fits into the top cap.

With this type of carb you need to have bike on centre stand as side stand will allow float to hit side of chamber allowing more petrol through the simple valve at bottom of valve needle, its only brass on brass and the smallest hole will allow more petrol through, and in turn petrol will then pour out of the jet block drain and down onto the magneto. In your case with a blocked off jet block drain, the petrol will either eventually run out of the bell mouth or down the cylinder bore. It's also the kind of carb where you need good working petrol taps under the petrol tank which always need switching off when bike is left unattended especially on bikes side stand.  *smile*

In all... although it is a crude type of carburettor and often accused of being poor in its design. When a full understanding of its correct operation is achieved, it can be a good and economical carb.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline ian davies

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 06.11. 2011 21:17 »
Hi, Thanks for the info with regards to the 276, i did'nt have a clue what that hole was for as this is the first bike i have had with this type of carb, all previous bikes have had monoblocs. I now have a 376 to fit, i think it will look better on a swinging arm A7 even though the 276 works very well. Once again thanks for your advice. All the best Ian
ian davies