Author Topic: Lock for a 51 Plunger  (Read 486 times)

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
Lock for a 51 Plunger
« on: 21.08. 2011 14:51 »
I think I'd like some comments on the following:

I have devised a steering lock for my 51 plunger. I hope the enclosed photos will do the explaining. I used a lockable bar from a Reece hitch, 2 10inch shifters and a coil spring (hardware shop) for a bit of tension. Also a spare "cotton reel" that fitted the side car lobe, and away we went cutting the shifters to fit over the back of the steering head stop points.

To unlock, I use the key, taking the RHS end off, then slip the RHS bar down, now I can move the handlebars and the LHS lock can fall down. Replace the locking mechanism and the springs will keep them in place pointing to the deck. I am free to ride. The plan is that I'll be free to park it, lock it and not have to keep it in eye shot while I am out n about.

I am sure I will appreciate the comments the forum seems to thrive on putting up.

Good Advice
No reactions

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Lock for a 51 Plunger
« Reply #1 on: 21.08. 2011 14:57 »
Gavin,
I like that; you are more than just a pretty face!

BTW, isn't it unecessary?  I thought that they were all honest God fearing church-going folk in Mandurah (or it the children that are the problem?)

Rickity Dick
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 21.08. 2011 20:33 »
Very clever Gavin, but I thought out there they could ride a few hours before they would need to turn the bars anyway. ;)
Carbon fiber blinkers !!! *eek*
Cheers
Good Advice
No reactions
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 21.08. 2011 22:21 »
Who'd pinch an old plunger Flash, anyway?   *smile* *smile*

Trev.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 22.08. 2011 10:19 »
True enough Muskrat, mostly out here you could just lean n get round the traffic.

The Indicators are led, 12v running Independent of the 6v system. A compromise to be sure, but when ya start riding at 58 you're just glad no one notices the trainer wheels on the back !!!

Trev, the only thieves out this way discriminating enough to nab a 51 plunger are probably getting round on gophers and using seeing eye dogs, so I may have wasted my time.  They'd need an ambo before they could kick it over. (or pretty soon after !!)

Good Advice
No reactions