Author Topic: FAQ for buying tips?  (Read 873 times)

Offline Felters

• A's Best Friend
FAQ for buying tips?
« on: 24.08. 2011 06:55 »
Hi there - newbie here. Please be gentle!

I'm looking to buy an A7. I'm sure that the question has been asked many times about what to look for when buying a bike - is there a FAQ section covering it? I've looked and can't seem to find one.

Cheers
Mike
'59 BSA A7 and '02 BMW 1150RT

Offline t20racerman

• A's Best Friend
  • Keep it nailed!
    • The T20 'Super Six' Suzuki website
Re: FAQ for buying tips?
« Reply #1 on: 24.08. 2011 09:23 »
Hi there

Welcome to the forum! No FAQ guide that I know off (other more experienced members may advise differently) but this is SUCH a broad question that it is hard to give comprehensive advise... but I'm sure you'll get loads on here shortly!  *smile*

Here's some of my thoughts:

You do have to be sure of what you want before you start looking at bikes - in particular are you after originality? For some people (and I have no problem with that at all) their bike has to be exactly as it left the factory. If that is you, then you will need to do plenty of research to find out what models were fitted with what, and when. If you don't care about that - do no research on this!

Legal stuff - check paperwork carefully. Are the engine and frame numbers as stated on the registration documents? Also, NEVER buy a bike from a guy who will only give you a mobile number and doesn't invite you in the house. Not so much with Classic Bikes maybe, but it is not unknown for crooks to meet up outside a house they don't own, to sell a car that is stolen, with only a mobile number as a contact!

Costs - do the tyres, chain and sprockets etc look worn out? You can be looking at a couple of hundred quid to sort those out, so negotiate well. Old cracked tyres aren't much fun to ride on!

Don't buy from a dealer - they general charge about 30% too much!

Good luck with the purchase
Adrian
 *smile*

1961 A10 - somewhat modified :-)
1980 TZ350 - lunatic Classic Race machine
1967 T20 Suzuki - heavily modified Classic Racer
1967 T20 Suzuki - pretty standard road bike
2007 KTM 660 SMC - fast and furious supermoto
Triumph 675 Speed triple
Ossa 250 and yet another T20 racer in bits both being built up

"If I had all the money back that I've spent on motorcycles... I'd spend it all on motorcycles!"

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 24.08. 2011 11:06 »
Buy the best one you can afford. It's amazing how much it costs to replace all the tatty / incorrect bits......
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #3 on: 24.08. 2011 14:29 »
Good afternoon Mike ,and welcome aboard , if you go ahead with your purchase you'll find this forum an absolute gem, full of good people witha sense of humour  ( you have to have one if you love old BSA's ) and loads of tech skills and knowledge.
RE your post I'd suggest joining the BSAOC they have a branch inHampshire and meet at  "The bold forrester" in Sobertonheath,contact name Mike Hutchings 01489 880552 . I don't have a clue whereabouts that is in relation to you . Membership only £20 yr and they can help with all sorts They have all the factory delivery books so can date your bike etc. More importantly they may know of someone selling a bike and have local knowledge about which helps or if not they may even be able to come along and look at one with you ,they tend to be very friendly, Hope thats of help ,best wishes ,BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 24.08. 2011 20:55 »
Unquestioningly buy the first one you look at and spend the next 20 years of your life throwing money at it....Worked for me!  *smile*
Welcome Mike.

They are good bikes. Try and find one that has been loved and with the same owner for a long time.

Cheers,
iain

Offline Felters

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #5 on: 25.08. 2011 06:09 »
Thx all for your help. I live near Alton so Soberton Heath isn't far away...

This is the bike that caught my eye. Paint isn't original but I have seen the bike and it is in good condition and mechanically very sound. Haven't ridden it yet but that's down to my being available and some decent weather. Was hoping to do that tomorrow but the forecast is grim. Again...

http://www.classicsuperbikes.co.uk/product.asp?ProductID=437&ProductName=BSA-A7

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Best Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
« Reply #6 on: 25.08. 2011 09:59 »

Good afternoon Mike ,and welcome aboard , if you go ahead with your purchase you'll find this forum an absolute gem, full of good people witha sense of humour  ( you have to have one if you love old BSA's ) and loads of tech skills and knowledge.
RE your post I'd suggest joining the BSAOC they have a branch inHampshire and meet at  "The bold forrester" in Sobertonheath,contact name Mike Hutchings 01489 880552 . I don't have a clue whereabouts that is in relation to you . Membership only £20 yr and they can help with all sorts They have all the factory delivery books so can date your bike etc. More importantly they may know of someone selling a bike and have local knowledge about which helps or if not they may even be able to come along and look at one with you ,they tend to be very friendly, Hope thats of help ,best wishes ,BobH.
Hello Mike
As secretary of that very branch I can assure you a friendly welcome at the Bold Forester. Come along and chat to owners long term and newer. We meet 1st & 3rd Thursdays each month, from around 7:30.
More on website www.hampshirebsa.org.uk
Look forward to meeting you
Cheers
Mike Hutchings
A10, B50, T800; 1,2,3 (& DVR2)
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 26.08. 2011 20:13 »
That has to be a great intro for you. The best bikes tend to be sold through word of mouth amongst friends and "kent faces" rather than being advertised.

Offline Felters

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #8 on: 29.08. 2011 06:57 »
By all accounts you like a picture so here goes...

Naturally I took the advice offered and bought the first one I rode. It does go very well though... the dealer I bought it from is fettling a few things (leaky fuel taps, new front tyre etc.) and it should be with me by next weekend. Brace yourselves for the tirade of halfwitted newbie questions.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #9 on: 29.08. 2011 10:50 »
Very nice indeed Fetlers.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7