Author Topic: A vinatge auction of another breed  (Read 438 times)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
A vinatge auction of another breed
« on: 18.09. 2011 05:25 »
So, on Thursday, I'm tuning around the cable TV channels and stumble on a nationally televised muscle-car auction that was pretty interesting. Then, I hear them announce that it is LIVE and from St. Charles, Illinois, USA. Bingo, that is about 15 miles from me. So why am I bringing this up on the the A7/A10 forum? Well, it was a perfect place to which to ride on what may be one of few remaining great weather days of the year here in Illinois. And a very nice ride it was. Not a cough from the girl.  When I pulled up there (today, Saturday), I bypassed general parking and I think I got a bit of special parking treatment, riding my own bit of history.

Anyway, for me, this place was mind blowing, and if you are into American muscle cars or hot rods, or just about any kind of car, you probably would have felt the same. The auction floor was fast moving and exciting. I sat and watched a few cars get auctioned off then decided to walk around the parking area. That's when I realized how huge this thing was. I took out my phone and started shooting pictures while walking about as fast as I could. There really wasn't time to stop and study the cars, there were too many of them if I was going to see all, or even most, of them. I had only planned to be there about an hour, which turned into three. As it was, with all the pictures I took, I probably only got about 1/4 of them.

Before leaving the auction, I decided to stop into the auction room one more time. It just happened that I got there right before the most important car of the auction came up, a 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback. How much did it sell for? I'll give you a moment to ponder-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------$290,000 *ex* *ex* *ex* *yeah*

If you would like to see the photos, they are here http://mecummusclecarsstcharles.shutterfly.com/ . Sorry they are not very good. After all, they were from my cell phone, and I'm not much of a photographer anyway. I hope someone will enjoy them.

Richard L.

Below is a picture of the 429 Mustang. Actually, you could forego my poor photos if you want to go to the Mecum website for real photography. http://www.mecum.com/auctions/consignment_list.cfm?AUCTION_ID=CH0911&consignDay=All&lottype=car

Finaly, I'll submit to discipline if this whole topic too distant from our prime directive.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
Re: A vinatge auction of another breed
« Reply #1 on: 18.09. 2011 09:34 »
Those prices really make you wonder....

Did you see the results of the Monterey auction musky posted a while back?
The 1957 DBD34 (which actually is a 1961 according to the numbers) went for $ 27.000.
Otoh, the 1962 RGS only fetched $ 18.000. So I guess there was something wrong with it (they state "twin carb engine"!).
The 1956 Matchless G45 was sold for $ 40.000, which actually is cheap money (cheap  *lol*) for a G45. But then the engine number of this very bike would denote one of eleven G45 engines fitted to G9/G80 road frames and delivered to Cooper Motors of California for racing. So if you are very anoraky, it is not a genuine bike.

Steve McQueen's 1970 Porsche 911 also sold for 1.375 million dollars during the Monterey weekend  *ex*
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: A vinatge auction of another breed
« Reply #2 on: 18.09. 2011 15:59 »
It's not for nothing that they would place a vintage vehicle auction within about 10 miles of one of the wealthiest places in the U.S., Pebble Beach/Carmel. Any golfers here?
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.