Author Topic: Replacing wiring loom  (Read 3094 times)

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
Replacing wiring loom
« on: 03.10. 2011 13:46 »
Hi All,

My bodged up wiring loom decided to go into meltdown so I have bought a new one using the original BSA part no: from my parts book (1954/55) The wiring loom listed under the number was also listed for the B singles on the Burton Bike  Bits site and I did state it was for an A10. I now have the loom which appears to be good quality (braided) however I cannnot match up any of the colours from my Haynes diagram - should I send it back and get the A10 one or would it be ok wire it up with this one? I cannot identify some of the wires on the new loom, the old one is a poor hand made one which was already on the bike and the wire colours also do not match up with the diagram.

Many thanks
Anglo - Indian A7SS (Actually is a 650)
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Replacing wiring loom
« Reply #1 on: 03.10. 2011 14:16 »
Yes ones I've bought also don't have the right colours, mostly the Purple wires are replaced with Brown/White.
However if you have a meter (to check continuity) and your Haynes then it's not to difficult to work out providing ammeters and switches are of the correct type ( I got thrown because a new switch had a part missing?)

But if you have a braided loom then it will have cost a few bob and you might feel for that kind of money it should be right
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Good Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
« Reply #2 on: 03.10. 2011 14:23 »
Apart from incorrect colours I guess the main issue you will face is the dynamo wiring being too short. It will be for the magdyno single, not the front of engine dynamo. Grafting on the 2 wires will be a bit ugly, or you have to open the main harness up along the top tube run. Bit of a pain.
I would go for a refund or exchange I think.
Mike Hutchings
A10, T800
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 03.10. 2011 14:54 »
Thanks guys,

It offers up ok, but as Mike mentioned the dynamo wires are too short, they are a separate loom, I could join them up under the tank.I think I will contact them and ask for a swap.
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
« Reply #4 on: 10.10. 2011 20:34 »
Hi,
My 'new' A7 plunger wiring harness was virtually all brown and black wires plus a purple or two with no diagram - very helpful! However, with an ammeter it didn't take too long to work out what did what. I've now found a diagram that sort of describes where the wires go (will scan and supply if needed). But if all you need is the yellow and green wire from dynamo then Autosparks will make a braided length up while you wait for a couple of quid - black and white fleck braided.

They make harnesses for many classic bikes and sell to the trade who we know and use - I think mine originated from Auotsparks according to them!

http://www.autosparks.co.uk/

They're located just outside Nottingham, literally 10 minutes form J25 M1 - and when I've called in they've also been most helpful and very cost effective; cheaper than Vehilce Wiring Products by quite a bit.

In 15 minutes they'd made up two new sections for me with an extra earth wire added in - bargin price!  *smiley4*
And they're nice  people! Oh they supply the new thin high amperage wire if wishing to slip a new wire in here and there.

Cheers
RoadRunner

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 10.10. 2011 21:41 »
Hi RoadRunner,

I sent it back for exchange - if you have the diagram it would be much appreciated. Thanks for the link to autosparks I will take a look.

Best regards

Duncan
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
« Reply #6 on: 10.10. 2011 22:15 »
Hi Duncan,
Diagram attached - assume you have the original BSA diagram out the manual?

The only thing I found with my harness was one wire too many near the mid-section which of course was brown - like all the rest! I added 2 extra earths, one from the headlight and one from the rear light to frame.
Have fun!

RoadRunner

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 11.10. 2011 11:20 »
Many thanks RoadRunner - I have a Haynes book as well, just waiting for the harness to turn up now.

Best Regards

Duncan
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS