Author Topic: Is the headlight switch earthed  (Read 742 times)

Offline Howard

• A's Good Friend
Is the headlight switch earthed
« on: 14.11. 2011 20:44 »
Hi All, should the headlight switch itself be earthed ?

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Is the headlight switch earthed
« Reply #1 on: 14.11. 2011 21:04 »
NO.

Trev.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 17.11. 2011 08:46 »
Yup- What Trev said, but to extrapolate a bit, I'm not a 'lectrician, but reckon I'm smart enough to suggest that a switch controls whether power flows from point 'A' to point 'B',(and continues to point 'A' with loss in between-kind of like a circuit),or not. Please correct me if I'm wrong? cheers duTch *beer*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 17.11. 2011 10:30 »
Hi Howard - no need to earth the switch but always a good idea to run an earth from the headlamp (shell or sometimes the bulb holder will have provision for an earth) to a point on the frame, if possible right back to where the battery is earthed to the frame.
The original wiring lets the current fight it's way back to earth through the grease and balls of the head bearings, it works but is hardly ideal.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Howard

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 20.11. 2011 19:17 »
Thanks BSA-Bill, I fitted a new loom, all hooked up correctly however due the the thickness of the powder coat I could not get it to earth. So I did as you suggested and run an earth wire back to the battery, now every thing works as it should.