Author Topic: Spitfire multispark  (Read 1633 times)

beezermacc

Spitfire multispark
« on: 27.12. 2011 22:06 »
Can anybody explain how those Spitfire Multispark things work? They're all over Ebay. All the explanations I've heard don't seem to follow conventional laws of physics.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Spitfire multispark
« Reply #1 on: 27.12. 2011 22:19 »
Can anybody explain how those Spitfire Multispark things work?

first question would be - Do they work ?
Perhaps they mimic the old trick of introducing an air gap into the HT path so the charge has to build up a bit before jumping the gap (ignoring the fact that energy will be used to do just that)

maybe we need to buy Prof Brian Cox an A10 then he can explain the Quantum Physics involved *conf*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 28.12. 2011 05:56 »
Ah- "Splitfire."

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPLITFIRE-spark-plugs-x2-APRILIA-RS250-RS-250-FREE-P-P-/110707892359?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item19c6b46087

I'd doubt they do anything other than replace a dirty plug with a clean one.

beezermacc

« Reply #3 on: 28.12. 2011 08:07 »
Hello Triton Thrasher, Glad you're interested in this thread. The things I mean are at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPITFIRE-MULTISPARK-IMPROVED-IGNITION-SUNBEAM-/350246284992?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item518c4e2ec0 and they claim to boost the spark by introducing this gadget into the HT lead. They are available for just about anything with an internal combustion engine.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 28.12. 2011 09:08 »
sorry beezermacc  I presumed you meant the  thing Triton thrasher refers to

this is from Wikipedea
=========================================
. (February 2009)

The SplitFire spark plug is a spark plug featuring a split ground electrode. SplitFire claims that this "V" electrode design allows more complete combustion by allowing the ignited flame to pass through the gap in the electrode, instead of around the electrode.

SplitFire spark plugs were popular and heavily advertised in the early 1990s despite controversy over their effectiveness. The manufacturer also sponsored the SplitFire Spark Plug 500 NASCAR stock car race. In 1997, the United States Federal Trade Commission charged SplitFire with deceptive advertising. The manufacturer settled the charges with the FTC; as part of the settlement, SplitFire was prohibited from making deceptive claims about fuel economy or emissions[1]. After the settlement, the popularity of SplitFire's spark plug range declined, but many happy drivers continue to use the product. The company still exists today, and its range of products has been expanded to include plug leads, dials and gauges, DIS coil packs and several other products in this area of the performance market.
=================================================

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 28.12. 2011 12:05 »
Ah- "Spitfire!"

Well- with endorsements like this, I'm buying one today.  Similar recommendations are available all over Google.

Spitfire MultiSpark HT Ignition Lead - RUBBISH

RUBBISH --- RUBBISH --- RUBBISH --- RUBBISH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qgo-PhNu3E

There's no doubt a gap can make a fouled plug fire, but £30 is a dear gap.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #6 on: 28.12. 2011 12:24 »
If you read any of the problem pages from period publication you will see the same idea using 2 brass buttons and a tube
Bike Beesa
Trevor

beezermacc

« Reply #7 on: 28.12. 2011 14:03 »
So, if this thing actually works, we would wonder why manufacturers didn't fit them, or something similar, as standard equipment. Mass produced they cost next to nothing to make. I was amused by the YouTube video but not entirely sure what it was supposed to prove!