Author Topic: Introduction hello, and some help please  (Read 2585 times)

Offline Baggy

• Moving Up
Introduction hello, and some help please
« on: 19.06. 2008 23:04 »
hello,my names Baggy and I'M A FIRST TIME BRIT BIKE OWNER THAT WILL NEED TONS OF HELP *conf*, first of all can I say what a cool site you have, and even browsing as a guest the site is a pleasure to browse, I have been into customising for many years firstly cars then bikes, I fell in love with the bike I have just brought as soon as I seen it, its a '56 goldenflash chop, built in the 70's by Notts county customs, folklore has it that it sat in someones front room for some 16 odd years as an ornament, complete with chrome drip tray, I got it off a chap who managed to locate the guy who compltely rebuilt the engine and took it to him for help, and I have since spoken to, and the bike has simply not been used apart from the original shakedown way back when. he looked at the bike, and swapped out the carb for a mikuni model jetted as close as possible to the original spec and also told me the stating procedure ( got it last saturday, couldn't walk sunday due to fruitless and stupidly trying to kick her over in trainers, see by now you now how much help I'm going to be asking for  *conf*) anyway, she fired up as sweet as a nut and sounds lovely, but he recommends going for a 12 volt conversion, so heres the first of many questions,
can someone give me a breakdown of what I need to get changed over to 12 V and somone in the uk I can trust? there is presently no auxillary wiring on the bike so I have in effect a blank canvas wiring wise, I will be running stop and tail light, horn, and side/main and full beam headlight very minimal,
the pic I have loaded is how she was sunday but already the forks have gone off for sorting, and I am sorting paint scheeme bars etc, all in keeping with the time she was built, this may well be my last season on a bike so really want it to be this one, any help really appreciated, many thaks and again great site,
cheers
Baggy

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Introduction hello, and some help please
« Reply #1 on: 20.06. 2008 00:48 »
Welcome to the forum, thanks for the story. I hope you will find all the help you may need. Regarding electrical, if all the 6v stuff that's on the bike works ok, you may take the swift path: buy a a 6v 35w halogen headlamp bulb. And maybe swap the regulator for an electronic. Here'e a link for bulbs (and much more) http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/

e.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 20.06. 2008 08:08 »
Welcome to the forum, Baggy. Unless you intend to regularly ride at night I would suggest you stick with 6 volts. If you do go the 12 volt route it may be worth considering a belt drive conversion for the dynamo that will gear it up slightly. There has been some discussion here on this subject so read that first to avoid the pitfalls!

Offline groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #3 on: 20.06. 2008 08:15 »
Hi and welcome, nice looking machine. Going 12 volt is painless and easy if you want to, or you get the halogen 35W 6 volter as suggested. Electronic regulators are in my view a lot better, whether you stay at 6 or go up to 12, although there are very reputable opinions here as to the virtues of properly set up mechanical CVC systems! I get my electronic boxes from www.manortec.co.uk and they work a treat, involve no wiring changes etc. Assume you're + Earth, but no matter - they sell either and the same box works for 6 or 12 volt. I have 2 of their boxes, one at 6v and t'other at 12 - both impeccable. There are several others to choose from, about which I know less.
Bill

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #4 on: 20.06. 2008 11:59 »
As per the other replies, 12V is only really necessary if you intend doing a lot of high speed night riding.
I currently ride a 6 V WM 20 & find the 6V system when properly sorted out works really well.
I usually use an old VW Kombi ( transporter to some) reflector with the Bosch 6V 35W/45W halogen globe.
It is the one about the size of a golf ball. I have found over the years that they give off the best light of all the 6V alternatives.
You can couple that with one of the LED stop tail lamp assemblies ( from iether Paul Geoff or "bulbsthatlastforever" ) which work a treat.
Avoid the replacement globe type led as they are just not bright enough.
Paul also carries a line of coiled cell batteries which also work a treat as most modern batteries just can not take the vibrations.
The solid state 6V regulator is a must.
You can wire it + or - earth, it matters not to the bike, just which ever way you do it run an extra earth wire up to the headlamp and another down to the tail lamp.
It is a good idea to add a couple of fuses.
One on each of the battery wires and another on the "A" wire from the generator ( well regulator to be correct).
Being a bit anal I also pop one on the stop lamp as well.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Baggy

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 20.06. 2008 12:44 »
Hey chaps, many thanks for all the info, going to stick wth 6v, as all I really wanted to do was go electronic ignition, this as brilliantly been sorted by Mike Hutchings , who has pointed me in the right direction with that, and a 6 v reg was ordered from him at the same time, so while I'm waiting for me bits and bobs to arrive I'll crack on with some paintwork,  *smile*
once again many thanks for the help
cheers
Baggy

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 20.06. 2008 12:57 »
I will be interested to hear how you get on with electronic ignition. The popular view on this is that whilst you are no longer relying on an obsolete magneto you are now relying on an obsolete dynamo! There are some electronic magnetos which generate their own power. A chap in our club runs a Velo Venom with such a device. It seems to work well enough but it was expensive.

Offline Baggy

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 20.06. 2008 20:45 »
Hello, I wasn't going to go electronic ig this season, was just planning ahead *smile*, I know there's lots of pro's and cons, it may well be my last season on a hardtail, but with a gel loaded seat, and some magic with a mountain bike damper, there may well be a season or 2 to come  *whistle*, so over the weekend and next week will be changing the paint scheme, making some new bars and when the bits arrive sorting the wiring, want to be on the road mid july tops, many thanks for the bulb choices etc, I knew this was the place to ask, many thanks and will keep you posted on how it goes,
cheers
Baggy

Offline groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #8 on: 20.06. 2008 23:17 »
Don't know how many times I have thanked the powers that be for the invention of the magneto. Often at night, usually raining. Amazing things. Yes, you can get marginally better and more even timing with a more modern system, but none bar the new-BTH self-generator, expensive as mentioned, gets you home without a battery (and a dynamo that works if you've got far to go). Which a mag alway does, even if you have to hang around till the sky lightens. I'd never change a magneto for anything for normal road use. They are reliable, work for a long time, and are easy to maintain. They are also repairable, to better than new, with modern condenser etc. There was a rare category of motorcylce at the end of the 50s, early 60s, which had the best of both wolds - a mag and an alternator. Triumph T110 springs to mind. Now that's a combination . . . But the only thing Lucas ever made which I trust implicitly is the Magneto, especially the K2F. Getting sentimental now, misty-eyed, must stop . . .
Bill

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #9 on: 20.06. 2008 23:22 »
Just to add a bit more useless information, BSA made a A10 with alternator as well as a generator. I have a friend with one. They were probable made for a specific customer like the police or similar. Welcome to the forum Baggy, enjoy your bike.   Brian.

Offline Baggy

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 06.07. 2008 20:57 »
Hey guys, how you all doin? nearly finished the old girl now, just a seat to make, pans are done and some wiring and a plate, rear light holder , I am chuffed to bits hope you like it  ????,
cheers
baggy