Author Topic: dvr2 12v  (Read 2443 times)

Offline rockthedog

• A's Good Friend
dvr2 12v
« on: 11.03. 2012 23:13 »
hi ,is there any way of testing a DVR2 regulator , think i may have a fault, dynamo is good showing charge on meter direct,but no charge to battery,cheers mal.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: dvr2 12v
« Reply #1 on: 12.03. 2012 05:04 »
G'day Mal,
              is the dynamo flashed the right way. Not 100% sure but I think the dvr2 is supplied in either + or - earth, so maybe the dynamo is in the wrong polarity.
 Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline rockthedog

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 12.03. 2012 07:46 »
G'day Mal,
              is the dynamo flashed the right way. Not 100% sure but I think the dvr2 is supplied in either + or - earth, so maybe the dynamo is in the wrong polarity.
 Cheers
  hi muskrat, yes tried flashing the dynamo, but still no charge,been through all wire conections everything is wired as per the book, green from dvr2 to field ,yellow to dynamo, red to earth, brown to ammeter via fuse link, new 12v battery, i have 12.5 volts at battery ,when i start the bike i get 13.6v but think it should be more than that ammeter not showing charge, put lights on and ammeter goes to discharge, and stays there,rev bike up and still shows discharge, am thinking fault with dvr2 *conf*

beezermacc

« Reply #3 on: 12.03. 2012 08:05 »
Some simple checks first:- Make sure your dynamo is properly earthed onto the crankcases. Make sure your battery is properly earthed onto the frame and the frame is earthed to the engine and dynamo body. Check your dynamo output where it connects to the DVR2 (not where the leads exit from the dynamo) by disconnecting the yellow and green lead, joining them together with a bridge and measuring the current between bridge and earth with a voltmeter, give the engine a bit of a rev and you should achieve 15 - 20 volts easily. Make sure your dynamo polarity is correct with regard to the DVR2 and battery. If all is well, reconnect the dynamo to the DVR2, disconnect the battery live lead to the ammeter and connect the DVR2 so that it is delivering directly to the battery (not via the ammeter). At this stage you have the dynamo, DVR2, and battery all connected up exactly as they should be except that the DVR2 'A' lead is connected to the battery, and nothing else is connected to the battery. Make sure the DVR2 earth connection is good. Before starting the bike again check your battery state which needs to be reasonably satisfactory, low charge is OK, but not completely dead. Start the bike and you should see about 13v or slighly more at the battery. You should also see the lights brighten when revving. If you have no luck it might be worth fitting a 6v battery and wiring the DVR2 for 6v (use both output leads connected together - if I remember correctly) and seeing if it will provide 7v to a 6v battery. I don't know what the static resistance readings are between the various DVR2 leads but I could find out as there's one in the workshop. Let me know how you get on.

beezermacc

« Reply #4 on: 12.03. 2012 08:11 »
Just noticed Muskrat has posted. 13.6v sounds about right to me. Ammeter will not show much charge if battery is good but should show charge with lights on when revving. Check voltage at battery with lights on and engine running.

Offline rockthedog

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 12.03. 2012 08:17 »
Some simple checks first:- Make sure your dynamo is properly earthed onto the crankcases. Make sure your battery is properly earthed onto the frame and the frame is earthed to the engine and dynamo body. Check your dynamo output where it connects to the DVR2 (not where the leads exit from the dynamo) by disconnecting the yellow and green lead, joining them together with a bridge and measuring the current between bridge and earth with a voltmeter, give the engine a bit of a rev and you should achieve 15 - 20 volts easily. Make sure your dynamo polarity is correct with regard to the DVR2 and battery. If all is well, reconnect the dynamo to the DVR2, disconnect the battery live lead to the ammeter and connect the DVR2 so that it is delivering directly to the battery (not via the ammeter). At this stage you have the dynamo, DVR2, and battery all connected up exactly as they should be except that the DVR2 'A' lead is connected to the battery, and nothing else is connected to the battery. Make sure the DVR2 earth connection is good. Before starting the bike again check your battery state which needs to be reasonably satisfactory, low charge is OK, but not completely dead. Start the bike and you should see about 13v or slighly more at the battery. You should also see the lights brighten when revving. If you have no luck it might be worth fitting a 6v battery and wiring the DVR2 for 6v (use both output leads connected together - if I remember correctly) and seeing if it will provide 7v to a 6v battery. I don't know what the static resistance readings are between the various DVR2 leads but I could find out as there's one in the workshop. Let me know how you get on.
  hi beezermacc  thank you for that will go and give it a try will report back later cheers mal. *smile*

beezermacc

« Reply #6 on: 12.03. 2012 08:22 »
To see the lights brighten you will need to connect a headlight bulb directly to your battery or reconnect the ammeter (obviously!)

Offline rockthedog

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 12.03. 2012 13:29 »
To see the lights brighten you will need to connect a headlight bulb directly to your battery or reconnect the ammeter (obviously!)
  well i have been through the test and when i bridge the dynamo d and f , and put a volt meter on i have only 0.04v --- 0.11 whith revs looks like the dynamo is duff. *sad2*

Offline rockthedog

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 12.03. 2012 13:42 »
  well i have been through the test and when i bridge the dynamo d and f , and put a volt meter on i have only 0.04v --- 0.11 whith revs looks like the dynamo is duff. *sad2*
well dont understand this am getting 14.2v with engine running at battery, stop engine and got 12.56v yet only 0.04 at dynamo when i did the test, think there is a spook about its weird.

beezermacc

« Reply #9 on: 12.03. 2012 17:42 »
To test the dynamo bridge F and D then check voltage between bridge and earth (not between F and D) when engine is running. Is that what you're doing?  I've just loaded this up to my site, I think it should helphttps://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxwcmlvcnltYWduZXRvc3xneDoxOTM3YTc1ZTUzNTdlMjll&pli=1

Offline rockthedog

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 12.03. 2012 18:03 »
To test the dynamo bridge F and D then check voltage between bridge and earth (not between F and D) when engine is running. Is that what you're doing?  I've just loaded this up to my site, I think it should helphttps://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxwcmlvcnltYWduZXRvc3xneDoxOTM3YTc1ZTUzNTdlMjll&pli=1
hi beezermacc thanks for that, that is how i tested it and only got very low voltage the first time, i have just been out again and removed the brushes to clean the commutator and put the bridge back in and now have 7.5v, i also think when i have been going through the wires i must of had a bad conection somewhere , am going to replace all terminals in the morning,just to make sure thank you for all your help i have printed it off in case of future problems thanks again mal.