Author Topic: My new Venture with an A10  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Lukey

• Moving Up
  • BSA Builders of London
My new Venture with an A10
« on: 25.03. 2012 19:02 »
The plan started as a dream, I own a Landrover 90 and have always wanted to tour the world in it but rising fuel costs and the fact my motor fully kitted out and packed up would be doing 20mpg I soon decided that it wasn't a good idea

Then I started watching Long way down/round by Charlie Boorman and decided that this would be the way forward, a bikes much more economical and much more adventurous!

Then the planning started, routes were planned out, border crossings looked into, campsites/hotels were being researched and it soon started becoming reality

Then onto the mode of transport, id love a BMW GS but I can warrant the cost plus I like to be different.

I then remembered that 3 blokes used an A10 plunger, rode it to oslo and completed the ISDT then rode it back home again, a publicity stunt to prove  how good the bikes actually were!

So my decision was to build an A10 up to complete London to Morrocco and back  *smile*

I have acquired a 1958 swinging arm A10, fitted with a large journal crank and thick flange barrels to rebuild

The plan is -

Rebuild engine
Convert to 12v
Lift the suspension higher and fit Heavier duty on the back to cope with extra weight and beef the frame up as the roads in morrocco are pretty bad in places
Longer range tank ( like GP tank)
Panniers and top box
set of enduro tyres
Mapping systems
Few other odds and sods

The Engine is nearing completion, new shells, rings etc etc
The frame is stripped and the beefing up is about to take place
Hubs are rebuilt, just awaiting new rims to be laced onto them
Most of the brightwork is done apart from the tank
Various Grilles, oil filters etc have been made up
Spares box is being filled up, points, plugs etc etc

I will add photo's when I sort them all out :)

I will also be doing this to raise money for my Local scout campsite as its literally falling to pieces and needs rebuilding  *smile*

1960 BSA A7SS
1950 BSA A10 Police bike - rebuild
1960 BSA A10 Overland Project
1959 BSA A10 Project Caferacer
1949 BSA Bantam D1 - as it came out of the factory
1951 BSA Bantam D1 trials - a bit of fun
1964 BSA C15 Trials
1960 BSA B40 Scramber - Building to original spec

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: My new Venture with an A10
« Reply #1 on: 25.03. 2012 20:28 »
"Brightwork"?   ???? *conf*  *smile*

Luke,

That is a great dream and I admit to envy. My recollection, you're in your early twenties, a perfect time to do it, but maybe age should not be an issue, though age means gathering  so many other resposibilites.

I'm looking forward to your photos of the before, during, and after. Also, I hope you will find a way to keep in touch with us along the route. I don't think I'm being pessimistic by saying that your ability to do repairs in obsure locations is likely going to come under test. On the other hand, as your forum friend, I hope you have smooth sailing all the way. On the third hand, your stories will probabaly be so much more interesting when you tell of your version of Apollo 13's oxygen scrubber a la A10.

Richard L.

Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline Pete Gray

• A's Best Friend
    • Scuppered Folk Band
« Reply #2 on: 26.03. 2012 09:50 »
What a fantastic plan.
I can't comment on the state of the roads in Morroco but I can suggest, having done Cape Town to The Victoria Falls with Charley Boorman last year, that you might be in for a battering so make sure everything is in tip top shape with all the bolt on bits rock solid. We were mounted on GS1200's where the suspension made for smoothing out even the worst bumps enabling speeds of 70 to 80mph across the gravel but it'll be a different story on the old A10, steady as you go.
By the way I'm 61 and survived the trip in one piece (just)
Take a look at at the Adventure Rider website ride reports, there are some incredible people out there tackling huge journeys on just about every bike you can think of. http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2 There
A report of our trip can be seen here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725446

I would definitely add trials type footpegs to your spec as you'll likley spend quite some time standing and rubbers aren't any good for grip, also high wide bars, decent grips and spare cables !
Most of our guys suffered punctures, either through hitting rocks or thorns, spare tubes and patches will be essential as will a pump. We were riding on Mitas Dual Sport tyres which were perfect for the varying conditions.
Also get hold of a Camelbak hydration pack, you have to keep drinking (water not beer)
Mobile phone is obvious but recommended is a satellite connection - unfortunately very expensive but it could be a life saver!

Keep us posted !

Pete

1961 Swinging arm A7
2000 BMW R1100R

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 26.03. 2012 11:18 »
Just to say best of luck.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 26.03. 2012 12:24 »
 Oh to be young again!
Go for it Luke. Get a mob ph with internet, help will be at hand.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Lukey

• Moving Up
  • BSA Builders of London
« Reply #5 on: 26.03. 2012 16:22 »
Cheers for the good luck messages, I will be travelling with my friend in his series 2 landrover so bigger parts will be put in the back of his motor but 99% of everything I take will be carried on the bike

I have a set of craven panniers but I think these arent big enough or strong enough so looking about for some bigger and stronger ones, all my camping Kit is sorted

A question I understand I can buy sidecar springs which I believe are heavier duty? What do people think? will I need them? or should I look around for another stronger set of forks to use?

Luke

1960 BSA A7SS
1964 BSA C15 Trials

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #6 on: 26.03. 2012 17:29 »
A question I understand I can buy sidecar springs which I believe are heavier duty? What do people think? will I need them? or should I look around for another stronger set of forks to use?

I certainly would not use sidecar springs... every hole you hit the front end will bounce up and hit top end. Most of your weight will be on the back end.

Where about's are you heading in Morocco? I had to look at google maps and planned my imaginary tour, would love to do something like that. The main roads don't look too bad, I'm guessing your heading to Casablanca?

I would definitely add trials type footpegs to your spec as you'll likley spend quite some time standing and rubbers aren't any good for grip,

This is a good idea of Peters as the A10 footrest splines are sooo fine, doe's not bear thinking about if one should strip while standing.  *eek*

Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline Lukey

• Moving Up
  • BSA Builders of London
« Reply #7 on: 26.03. 2012 21:19 »
The plan is to hit Casablanca, ride down to Marrakesh and meet up with my friends family in Kasbah and stay with them for a few nights, see the town etc, and the rest is really exploring so Im not to sure yet, would like to hit the edge of the sahara just to say Ive been there, but again if the roads are bad then I don't really want to risk it

I will be designing a website and a blog to track progress etc

I am also looking into ways to increase the happy cruising speed to around 65 - 70 but don't want to modify the engine so I may end up leaving that idea lol
1960 BSA A7SS
1964 BSA C15 Trials

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #8 on: 26.03. 2012 22:47 »
Ahh, wish I was less old! You must be Lucky Lukey, this trip sounds great. Be sure to take lots of pictures\film (sort them out in detail after the trip) and post some news on the forum during the voyage.

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Lukey

• Moving Up
  • BSA Builders of London
« Reply #9 on: 17.04. 2012 11:29 »
Thanks for all the good luck messages its means alot, the Engine and gearbox are know complete, thick flange barrels and large journal crank, I am ummin and arring about 12v conversion, I could really do with it as if I run 12v lighting then bulbs are easier to source, I can run GPS and satnav etc

What's the best way to convert?

I will be fitting a modern ( but retro looking) front headlight so I can actually see and I if I find some decent spotlights I may add those too as I will be travelling during the night ( less traffic lol)

A question I would like to ask is about Rims, I am going with 21" and 18" rims so am trying to source some decent rims, either stainless or modern motocross/Kawasaki W650/ Triumph Bonneville alloy rims but I am struggling to find 40spoke rims in these sizes

Can anyone help?

1960 BSA A7SS
1964 BSA C15 Trials

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 17.04. 2012 12:14 »
Lukey,

Have you read the book,  "Triumph Around the World"?  If not,  it might make a good read before you go,  if you have time.  You won't face the same trials as our hero from the '70's,  but you will certainly face some that are unique to now.  If you're interested in the book,  you probably know it has been circulating amongst the forum members on its own world tour adventure.  Check out the "Triumph Around the World" topic. (e, is Lukey a viable candidate for the book right now?)

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 17.04. 2012 21:18 »
hi guys, i have the book and it is ready to be sent so just say who wants it with details,cheers,Bob
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 18.04. 2012 14:14 »
Heya Lukey, So you're off to 'Rock the Kasbah"- half ya luck, rock it a bit for me too!! (not the gravel type rocks, yea might end up with free bed and an early morning stoning!!)
   I bought my rims from CWC in Birmingham http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/rims/rims.html(from this page select first icon 'classic stainless') do a 21" WM1 and 18" WM 2,WM3 and
 Devon Wheelshttp://www.devonrimcompany.com/classicrims.htm# also do same ,they're a bit more exy, but maybe worth it for you local(ish). I had to opt for CWC as + shipping to Oz.added up.
              Good luck duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Lukey

• Moving Up
  • BSA Builders of London
« Reply #13 on: 23.07. 2013 16:49 »
Hii all, still going strong on the project, bike is coming along but due to other commitments it has slowed me down from finishing it!

We have however bought another project which will be unveiled soon  *smile*
1960 BSA A7SS
1964 BSA C15 Trials

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #14 on: 23.07. 2013 20:53 »
G'day Lukey, as long as the project stays prominent in the shed to remind you of your plans. Throw in some pics so we can all enjoy it.
The other project would have to be a Beeza, we wouldn't want anything else upsetting your stable.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7