Author Topic: points cover??  (Read 3071 times)

Offline Baggy

• Moving Up
points cover??
« on: 11.07. 2008 22:03 »
Evenin guys, hope everyone's well and enjoying the countless hours spent on open roads and long,long sunny days!! sorry went off into dreamworld for a tad!  ;), I have a techy/where can I get one question and what the bloody 'ell  do I do when I got  ????, my bike is so close to being finished now, so I'm putting a spangly new wiring loom in, I have a cap for the points, bakalight jobby that I assume earths out to kill the bike,but if its a pos (+) earth, does that go to the Neg (-) of the battery? and what holds this cap on? I got a box of bits and nothing resembling what's even close to doing the job. I would imagine its something like the shape of an old thermostat gasket ( for propper cars) but in metal? any help would as ever be greatly appreciated,
cheers
Baggy

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
Re: points cover??
« Reply #1 on: 11.07. 2008 22:21 »
Do you mean a magneto end cover? The sort originally fitted to the A7/10 K2F magneto has a knurled nut part that screws onto the end of the magneto, an inner bakelite domed piece and a screw in the centre leading to the kill button brush inside. The wire from this centre screw goes to a button mounted on the handlebars. When you press the button it connects the wire to the bars, shorting the points to earth i.e. the frame. The magneto is not connected to the battery / wiring harness in any way apart from sharing a common earth/ground and you don't need any wiring apart from a couple of spark plug leads to run the engine.

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 12.07. 2008 20:20 »
My A10 has a flick switch out of sight at the back of the toolbox.  It's easy to reach and simple to use.  When it's in the off position the cut-out is permanantly earthed and nobody will be able to start it.

To stop the engine simply flick the switch to the off position and leave the bike like that whilst it is parked up.

I believe that Triumphs used a bakerlite end cap on their K2F magnetos.  This was held in place by a swinging spring clip similar to those that hold the pick-ups in position.  Baggy's bike might have one of these fitted.

Beezageezauk. 

Offline Baggy

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 12.07. 2008 22:06 »
my cap is bakelight with a brush in the end and an angled screw fitting for the wiring, it fits nice over the points and as is with no battery or in fact any wiring in place, if I touch the wire to the the frame killls the bike, but I can't see how its held in place, unless as  Beezageezauk, says its held there by a swinging spring clip similar to those that hold the pick-ups in position, all I have is 2 threaded holes and a cap  *conf*, I can knock somethin up but times against me a tad, so I really don't want to be re inventing the wheel,
cheers guys
Baggy

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 13.07. 2008 20:35 »
Hi Baggy,

Yes, it appears that you have the Triumph type fitting of magneto.  That is not a problem as long as you are not a purist and expect everything to be as it was when the bike left the factory.

I don't know where you live but the terminology you use suggests that you are in the UK.  If that is so, contact Dave Lindsley on 01706 365838.  Explain to him what you have and he will be able to supply you with the magneto parts that you need. 

If you are outside the UK call him on 00 44 1706 365838 but I don't know what facilities he has for currency exchange.

Beezageezauk.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 13.07. 2008 23:24 »
That is the correct cover for A7/A10 magneto from probably 1950 - 59. Earlier had alloy cover with cut-out button in centre. Late types are screw -on with nut in centre for kill wire. You should have a handle bar mounted kill button.
As stated above, your cover is retained by a swinging spring clip.
   Trev.

Offline octane

• A's Good Friend
  • Copenhagen , DENMARK
« Reply #6 on: 14.07. 2008 15:21 »
A pic might help:

If you can't find that thinghy,
these guys have it: CLICK
(..then click: "JOSEPH LUCAS"
..and then go down the page and click the "K1F, K2F, KVF" field
...then scroll down and it's there for £10.55 +vat.

For info and parts diagrams for Lucas mags: CLICK
and then go down the list and click: 'L5 part A'. A pdf will appear.

Hope this helps.

Yep: new guy here. I'll post an intro a little later.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #7 on: 15.07. 2008 16:56 »
Hello octane, feel very welcome here (+ praise for the very nice content, layout & look of your posts ! )

Regards
Erling

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline octane

• A's Good Friend
  • Copenhagen , DENMARK
« Reply #8 on: 15.07. 2008 17:12 »
Thanks for the welcome Erling !!!

Offline Baggy

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 15.07. 2008 22:18 »
Nope, I'm not a purist, and the info that's been posted has sorted my problem, many thanks just want to be back on the road now, so bloody close and WE HAVE SOME OF THAT STRANGE WARM THING IN THE SKY  *eek*
cheers
Baggy

Offline Baggy

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 15.07. 2008 22:23 »
I have some more pics as its moved on, a fair bit, gone with drag bars, white grips and white sprung seat, I love it to bits and sounds perfect on open slash cuts *smil*,
cheers
Baggy

Offline stav

• Active
  • Oban, W.Scotland
« Reply #11 on: 18.08. 2008 20:58 »
A pic might help:

Can some body help me here, i new on this forum so hello all, i have this type of magneto but am unsure where the cut-out wire goes? please help
Oban, W.Scotland

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 19.08. 2008 00:12 »
Cut-out wire is secured by large knurled nut on cover. Should have a  brass washer which the wire wraps around.
        Trev.