Author Topic: THANK YOU ALL !!  (Read 11366 times)

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
Thanks to all here.
« Reply #45 on: 02.06. 2020 21:50 »
With loads of help from the very generous members of this great community, my bike lives and breathes again.
I've still got a few jobs to do, like sorting out there oil leak from around my new blinged up SRM sump plate, and the one from the bottom of the inner timing cover, and putting the silencers back on, but after circulating the oil with the kick start and plugs out, she of ired right up on second kick. Sounded great with no silencers. Nervous wait for the oil to return to the tank but it's all good.
I set the ignition timing before putting the head back on then checked it after.
Thanks again to all of you for your patience with my questions.
Cheers
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Online Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: THANK YOU ALL !!
« Reply #46 on: 03.06. 2020 08:09 »
Minto.
    Good to know it's a runner once more. Timing cover leaks should be an easy fix.
   With clean faces, no gasket remains, look for rock between the castings. Displaced, incorrect, damaged or too long dowels and blocked dowel locating holes are the things that are overlooked, holding the castings apart. If the mating surfaces are badly damaged, this is one area where I would use a minimum of silicone to effect a seal as the mating surfaces are narrow. Check the retaining bolts for correct length, not bottoming, and that all muck, oil and old gasket cement is cleared from the blind holes.

Sump plate. I prefer studs and nuts here to avoid wear on the crankcase threads. If the SRM plate comes with setscrews be very careful in case these are bottoming before tightening down the gaskets. Easy to cause damage by just tightening them down before checking the lengths are correct for your particular motor.

Well done, happy days.

Swarfy.

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #47 on: 03.06. 2020 20:10 »
All great advice as usual thanks Swarfy, I was pretty sure I got all the crap out of all the screw holes, until I started reassembling it, then it became apparent I'd missed one or two.
I think the inner timing cover is leaking because I knocked the gasket out of position and displaced the smear of goo I'd used to keep it in place.
Cheers
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Offline TomL

• Moving Up
« Reply #48 on: 04.06. 2020 06:18 »
Agree with all the above, fantastic forum. Found answers to most of my questions without asking! Minto, I used rocker cover studs for my SRM sump plate, saves the threads in the cases.
Thanks again, everyone
       Tom
'61 A7 essex