Author Topic: The National Motorcycle Museum  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Pete Gray

• A's Best Friend
    • Scuppered Folk Band
The National Motorcycle Museum
« on: 19.04. 2012 21:13 »
I've been here a couple of times before but there are so many fantastic bikes in there that on every visit there is something new to be seen/drooled over !
Good Advice
No reactions

Pete

1961 Swinging arm A7
2000 BMW R1100R

Offline Pete Gray

• A's Best Friend
    • Scuppered Folk Band
Re: The National Motorcycle Museum
« Reply #1 on: 19.04. 2012 21:15 »
A few more
Good Advice
No reactions

Pete

1961 Swinging arm A7
2000 BMW R1100R

Offline Pete Gray

• A's Best Friend
    • Scuppered Folk Band
« Reply #2 on: 19.04. 2012 21:16 »
And again
Good Advice
No reactions

Pete

1961 Swinging arm A7
2000 BMW R1100R

Offline renos-a10

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #3 on: 20.04. 2012 06:32 »
This is heaven   *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile*
Good Advice
No reactions
1954 BSA A10 Plunger
Cyprus

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 20.04. 2012 09:33 »
I am sorry Pete but I don,t share your enthusiasm with the place, row upon row of over restored bikes, many were destroyed in the fire yet by some miracle they re appeared. To me it,s a motorcycle graveyard, most bikes have never even been fired up, the insides of the silencer ends are as clean as the outside. The deathly silence does not help. why don,t they fire bikes up at certain times of the day and perhaps have some relelevent background music or bike sounds or commentaries.       just my opinion.
Good Advice
No reactions
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 20.04. 2012 09:42 »
uuummm, don't know Goldie, it's a museum so displaying motorcycle as customer would have bought them is ok  I think, they did have bikes on display when I visited (pre fire) that had been used (streamliner and so forth).
I agree with your last point re commentary and music but then it would put some off as we don't all have the same tastes in either, (love Murray but not all day)
perhaps earphones that could be hired ?

thanks for the photos Pete
Good Advice
No reactions
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Pete Gray

• A's Best Friend
    • Scuppered Folk Band
« Reply #6 on: 20.04. 2012 13:04 »
In many ways, despite my apparent enthusiam, I can only agree. On my first visit I dubbed the place as being like a mausoleum.
However, this time I actually started enjoying it for the sheer superb quality of the bikes. I think I'm right in saying that they are all runners, certainly each one had a small oil catch container under it.

Isn't it better than the combined hundreds of concourse machines hidden away in peoples garages that virtually never get seen ?

Anyway, neither for nor against, here it is !

This last photo from the hallowed walls shows the BSA Factory workforce during WWII at what is labelled the largest motorcycle factory in the world.
Good Advice
No reactions

Pete

1961 Swinging arm A7
2000 BMW R1100R

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 20.04. 2012 14:02 »
Yes I certainly agree about items being hidden away and Birmingham is a good example. They had a fantastic science museum in Newall street which reflected the "town of a thousand trades" as it was know, but where is it now. Some items were transferred to the new Millenium Point but there were thousands of exhibits, where are they now??? Gathering dust somewhere??
Good Advice
No reactions

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #8 on: 21.04. 2012 01:01 »
Thanks for the pictures & your post Pete...   *smile*
Thats another place on my list to visit IF I ever get over there in retirement.
Good Advice
No reactions
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline SixFingerJack

• N. E. England
  • A's Best Friend
  • °§ïX?ïÑg?®JÅ©K?°
« Reply #9 on: 23.04. 2012 11:58 »
I'm with Goldy on this one, while very impressive in number and condition, the displays were sterile and didn't seem to be arranged in any particular order.
I've been twice, the second time with the kids, who are both interested in bikes, but who quite soon became bored.
We were all very conscious of the silence, which was a bit uncomfortable for them asking questions, and me trying to answer them.
It would have been nice if there were one or two museum staff available just to answer questions and give more information if asked.
I also think it would benefit from more diversity, more non-standard, but period-accurate bikes, and some chronological order to the displays.
Maybe some displays of riding gear and popular culture of the times alongside the bikes.
Just my opinion, not slagging the place, it was ok, just could have been so much better.
They need to look at places like Beamish, Black Country Living Museum, Jorvik Centre and get a few ideas about being more accessible.
Good Advice
No reactions
°§ïX?ïÑg?®JÅ©K?°

1948 A7 Rigid

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #10 on: 23.04. 2012 13:31 »
I live fairly close to the museum. I [cheekily] went along to the press opening after the fire, which was about a month before the main public opening. All the old time racers were there and I had some great conversations with the restorers and the racers. It's fantastic what they did with some of the wrecks. I am full of praise for them.

Having said that, there's no denying its a place for old gits to marvel at lovely old bikes, there is nothing to keep the wives and kids interested. Some mock-ups of factories, workshops, old racing pits etc would be a start. My 2p
Good Advice
No reactions
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
1974 Kawasaki Z1a
Yam XJR 1300

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 23.04. 2012 15:42 »
A few miles down the road is the Coventry Transport Museum and they know how to do it. In the motorcycle section they have a screen showing film of bikes of the 60's riding on the North Circular and the Ace cafe with appropriate music. The Coventry blitz section has radio wartime commentary as well. a really interesting museum and free entry, yes that right it,s free.
Good Advice
No reactions

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 23.04. 2012 16:43 »
a really interesting museum and free entry, yes that right it,s free.
SSSSHHH Goldie Dave and George want to  read our emails, might not  be free after the next budget *conf*
Good Advice
No reactions
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 25.04. 2012 11:24 »
Yes I certainly agree about items being hidden away and Birmingham is a good example. They had a fantastic science museum in Newall street which reflected the "town of a thousand trades" as it was know, but where is it now. Some items were transferred to the new Millenium Point but there were thousands of exhibits, where are they now??? Gathering dust somewhere??

Completely agree - it's been a financial disaster as well.

The stored exhibits are available to see about twice a year in the Museum Stores - the Heritage Open Days in September usually include a visit. But it's nothing like the old Science Museum.

Agree with your comment re Coventry as well - the Ted Simon Triumph is one of my favourite items.
Good Advice
No reactions
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)