Author Topic: Spending Money  (Read 1326 times)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Spending Money
« on: 18.07. 2008 15:08 »
I was going to post this with another tech topic, but thought it better to just let it stand alone.

One BSA shop told me this and it stuck as an ultimate truth: "When you're restoring a classic motorcycle, you're going to end up throwing some money away."  (This, to soothe me after I destroyed my QD rear hub when trying to lace my own wheels.) So, if you can buy a part that you actually need, and is not a waste, you are that much to the better. Suffice to say, the same applies to time.

Richard
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Re: Spending Money
« Reply #1 on: 19.07. 2008 01:33 »
If you intend to play around with motorbikes just accept that you are going to be broke for the rest of your life, its a lot easier than worrying about it. Oh, and another tip, do not under any circumstances ever and I repeat, ever, keep a record of how much you spend on a restoration. I did once, about thirty years ago and it scared me so much I never did it again !

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 19.07. 2008 11:31 »
you're going to end up throwing some money away
just accept that you are going to be broke for the rest of your life
*cry* yes, but it's big fun  *smile*

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 19.07. 2008 14:13 »
And even more fun as you grow into memory testing more mature years and the project stretches over a long time because of work and other commitments - then you purchase bits and pieces, they arrive and you pack them away until you need them and discover that you already bought them two years ago, or you put them away and can't find them again.
Oh please tell me it's not just me *sad2*

All the best - Bill 
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 20.07. 2008 01:09 »
I think this post fits here. Can anyone tell me where I put or dropped my pushrod comb? (No, I already looked there and it wasn't there.) I was all set to put my rocker box on two hours ago and could not find the d**n comb. The follow-on question to this is: How long should one spend cleaning one's shop? Answer: As long as it takes to find the thing that's lost. Man, am I going to have a clean shop. Look out, Lars.

Richard
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline octane

• Moving Up
  • Copenhagen , DENMARK
« Reply #5 on: 20.07. 2008 17:42 »
do not under any circumstances ever and I repeat, ever, keep a record of how much you spend on a restoration.  !..
Ha ha..I would never dream of doing such a thing.
It would freak me irreparably.......
.........I have 10 (or ten'ish) bikes

Can anyone tell me where I put or dropped my pushrod comb?..
No, but maybe it's the one I bought on Ebay
 that I'm eagerly awaiting,
so I don't have to use four thin strings of wire
 as I've always done before.