Author Topic: E's Brainstorm  (Read 1099 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
E's Brainstorm
« on: 09.06. 2012 02:15 »
Take note, Forum membership is now officially 500! Over time, Admin has removed inactive or naughty members, but this landmark "500" are the currently legitimate, or so it seems. Quite the growth and another tribute to Erling's brainstorm.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
Re: E's Brainstorm
« Reply #1 on: 09.06. 2012 09:28 »
Thanks for that Richard I often wondered how many members there are. As has been said before the good thing with this forum is the technical expertise and the friendly nature of the members and many thanks to the founder. All the best Goldy
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 09.06. 2012 10:20 »
 Good one. The more the merrier. Can be hard to remember who said what to who sometimes.
Hope it never turns into a headache for e, he's doing a great job.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 09.06. 2012 10:25 »
And I'll echo all the above
Well done e and well done the 500 who keep it all friendly and civil (and forgiving of my lapses of concentration at times)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
  • N & F
    • BSA A10
« Reply #4 on: 09.06. 2012 21:26 »
Richard, thanks for the support provided, and thanks to the members for providing all the good content (which is what makes a good forum, I'm only providing a frame and a canvas).

And this:
who keep it all friendly and civil
has been one of the most important factors to make it worth any and all work needed to keep it all up and running.

As for the stats, initially I expected like 25 members and 500 posts, with a few 1000's page views\visits.... total page views is now close to 7.000.000 (visits from members, guests, searchbots like google\yahoo\bing and some of the usual spam attempts, which are now well taken care of after some flooding periods). Am always amazed at how well the forum program behaves, and the current hoster seems to have improved regarding uptime and speed.

Thanks to all who contribute, & thanks to LJ. for keeping an eye on things + providing important guidance and moderation. And when posting, let's always remember there are many, many more guest readers than members looking for info and help, so keep up the quality, especially regarding the tech topics.
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 10.06. 2012 02:30 »
I have to chip in and say thanks too, and I know that at times I get a bit loose, all in fun~sorry!!
A couple of when I embarked on resurrecting  mine, and doing 'free-google' searches for info,I came across a few forums(also when I was doing my 4x), and some are a worry, but this one kept coming up in the 'search format'-(text only?), and after looking with suspicion from all angles figured it made some sense, and here I am glued on- I guess someone'll come along with a decent solvent sooner or later?
  Also, if there are 500 members, that means there are at least 500 of these machines either trekking around, or keeping us entertained in strange kind of way!!

Cheers ta 'e' an' all *beer* duTch

PS move over Zuckerberg, here comes 'Facebike'......???
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline fido

• Zala County, Hungary
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 10.06. 2012 07:51 »
That number of members probably represents less than 1% of the A7/A10s on the road but it is the level of activity which makes it such a useful site. I am a moderator on the forum for Velocette flat twins and we currently have 1052 members. These bikes are far less common than our BSA machines but the site is part of the owners club and nearly all owners are also club members.
I would like to add my thanks to Erling for creating and running the site.  wink2

Offline madsens

• A's Best Friend
  • 1962 A10 GF - Fyn, Denmark
« Reply #7 on: 10.06. 2012 10:24 »
Thanks from me too.  *respect* Not being too able with a spanner this forum has given me more guts to dig into the facinating world of british iron and do some diy work on my A-10, knowing help is just a mouseclick away!

thank you from
Joergen
BSA A10GF 1962
Denmark

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
  • N & F
    • BSA A10
« Reply #8 on: 10.06. 2012 12:42 »
knowing help is just a mouseclick away!
This sums up the whole idea about the forum. Very nice to see it's doing it's job.

That number of members
Probably very uncommon in the forum community, am trying to restrict the nr of members as much as possible, still getting all these registrations and all this activity :O) goal is to accept only active members and persons seeking relevant help for any problem, nonposters are deleted after a grace period (100's have gone trough the job of successfully registering and then, for unknown reasons, do not log in and do not post anything).

it is the level of activity which makes it such a useful site
Yes, compared to many other forums out there, it's very successful regarding nr of members > nr of posts > quality of posts. And looking at visitors statistics, the quite vast amount of visitors reading posts \ looking for solutions is what really makes the forum a success. Whatever happens to the forum in the future, all the knowledge will still be accessible as something like a "big A7\A10 book" :O)

"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 10.06. 2012 14:14 »
That number (500) of members probably represents less than 1% of the A7/A10s on the road...

50,000 A7's or A10's on the road? I doubt it. I live in a pretty densely populated suburb of Chicago and work in Chicago proper. In 20 years here, I have seen fourin this area, mine, one in the vintage bike shop 60 miles away and two at a british vehicle show.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #10 on: 10.06. 2012 14:38 »
At least 6 on the road in a 40 mile radius of me. Only my 2 on the forum.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 10.06. 2012 17:31 »
6 within f0ur miles of me, perhaps a bit exceptional as it includes myself and two friends both into bikes old and new, however always a good turnout of As at the various rallies in Northumberland and the Borders
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline fido

• Zala County, Hungary
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 10.06. 2012 17:50 »
It would be interesting to know how many there are just between forum members as a lot of you have got more than one. The vast majority will be in UK as Exported machines are more likely to have been scrapped or left in bits due to limited local availability of spares. My guesstimate would be around 10 bikes for each city in UK plus others in towns, villages etc. Even in the relatively sparsely populated county of Aberdeenshire there were about 15 I used to see on runs or at shows but no doubt there were others I never saw. I don't think any of the A7/A10 riders I knew in my bit of Scotland are forum members.

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
  • N & F
    • BSA A10
« Reply #13 on: 10.06. 2012 19:00 »
Would be fine to see more good members here, but as it is now the forum is doing fine imo, and again, looking at stats \ which topics are being read, it's clear many visitors are a7a10 owners but non-members, using the forum as a reference and probably finding most of whatever they looked for without needing to register or post questions. Over time (and as stated in their posts) many of these guest readers have turned up as members, both for questions and as contributors.

btw, being a somewhat meek & humble person (now and then, at least), had to edit the title so as not to see my name repeated all over the place ;O)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 10.06. 2012 21:45 »
LOL