Author Topic: passed my theory yesterday (thank god)  (Read 1023 times)

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
passed my theory yesterday (thank god)
« on: 13.06. 2012 13:26 »
hi fella's as the title suggest's i passed my motorcycle theory test yesterday, the first thing on my mind was at least i dont have to keep studying the highway code....how wrong was i. according to the info for the cbt (next part of my test)
"What element D covers...highway code" for gods sake, why do i have to be grilled/tested on the highway code again if the first part of the theory test is based on the highway code ???.
also it says that if you take the
Sub-category A2 test (standard motorcycle)

"Example of a standard motorcycle
A sub-category A2 motorcycle a solo motorcycle between 121 and 125 cc.
They must be capable of more than 62.5 mph (100 km/h)
If you pass your test on this sub-category of motorcycle you can ride motorcycles with a power output of no more than 25 kilowatts. That's the same as 33 brake horse power. This restriction will last for two years."

if i take this test will i be able to ride my bsa as the power output is i think 26bhp and well under the 33bhp stated ???
all the best, chicago

****UPDATE**** i phone the guy who does the cbt test and he said i would be able to ride my bike straight away if i took the sub category a2 test (i.e on a 125cc) as my bike is under 33bhp, nice one  *smile*. and it get's better because he said i wont be tested on the highway code again. good times
Preferred location: somewhere warm and dry.
Bike: 1953 plunger Longstroke engine.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: passed my theory yesterday (thank god)
« Reply #1 on: 13.06. 2012 14:32 »
Hi Chicago, not up on these new m/cycle rules being lucky enough to have kept my bike entitlement since '66, but if you're close to urmston theres a branch of the BSAOC where I'm sure theres someone knowledgeable enough to put your mind at ease also they have an web address on www.manchesterbeezers.piczo.com ( ray Greenhalgh ) As an aside I'm from the " darkside " ,as they call manchester  in LIverpool , myself ,raised just outside Denton ,in Haugton dale  best wishes BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 13.06. 2012 16:00 »
special section Chicago for Mancunians, it's so you can't spin the rear with all that rain you get *whistle*
Congrats on the theory bit though *clap*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 13.06. 2012 19:59 »
I passed my motorcycle test in the 1960s and it was a complete joke. The examiner stood outside the test centre and told me to start my bike and ride clockwise around the block. Of course, as soon as I turned right he could not see me. I then had to ride around the block anticlockwise and again of course he lost sight of me as soon as I took the first turn. The centre was at a tee junction, so I then had to ride away from the examiner, turn round and ride back. One more time around the block for him to jump out at an undisclosed position for an emergency stop, questions from the highway code, and that was that. How they decided if you where competent. I don't know.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline 0116harley

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #4 on: 13.06. 2012 21:03 »
Goldy the test didnt change much when i took mine in the 70s. The thing that was a joke was the examiner asking you to ride along side him as he was walking at a fast pace. The idea was to see if you had control of your bike, if you put your feet on the ground it was a fail. The thing was my mate passed this part of the test on a A10 with a sidecar, no way was his feet gonna touch the ground. Still really glad im not trying to pass now days.
cheers Neil

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
« Reply #5 on: 14.06. 2012 00:36 »
Hi Chicago, not up on these new m/cycle rules being lucky enough to have kept my bike entitlement since '66, but if you're close to urmston theres a branch of the BSAOC where I'm sure theres someone knowledgeable enough to put your mind at ease also they have an web address on www.manchesterbeezers.piczo.com ( ray Greenhalgh ) As an aside I'm from the " darkside " ,as they call manchester  in LIverpool , myself ,raised just outside Denton ,in Haugton dale  best wishes BobH
hi there BobH, just down the road from me urmston, i'll definatly be popping down to see them soon, just had a look on their website, look like a sound bunch of fella's. looks like they have a lot of fun as well. do you live anywhere near tunnel road liverpool (where my dad was born and raised). all the best BobH, chicago

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
« Reply #6 on: 14.06. 2012 00:43 »
special section Chicago for Mancunians, it's so you can't spin the rear with all that rain you get *whistle*
Congrats on the theory bit though *clap*
  *lol* *lol* *lol*, hi there bsa bill, cheer's fella, with all the wet weather weve been having here in manchester recently they'd be better off teaching you the man over board rescue sequence in case i fell of my bike. or the art of navagation at sea. *smiley4*. all the best bsa bill, chicago

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
« Reply #7 on: 14.06. 2012 00:58 »
I passed my motorcycle test in the 1960s and it was a complete joke. The examiner stood outside the test centre and told me to start my bike and ride clockwise around the block. Of course, as soon as I turned right he could not see me. I then had to ride around the block anticlockwise and again of course he lost sight of me as soon as I took the first turn. The centre was at a tee junction, so I then had to ride away from the examiner, turn round and ride back. One more time around the block for him to jump out at an undisclosed position for an emergency stop, questions from the highway code, and that was that. How they decided if you where competent. I don't know.
Goldy the test didnt change much when i took mine in the 70s. The thing that was a joke was the examiner asking you to ride along side him as he was walking at a fast pace. The idea was to see if you had control of your bike, if you put your feet on the ground it was a fail. The thing was my mate passed this part of the test on a A10 with a sidecar, no way was his feet gonna touch the ground. Still really glad im not trying to pass now days.
cheers Neil

hi there goldy, hi there 0116harley, so all i have to do is build a working time machine and go back to the sixties *lol* *lol*
thinking about it, it might actually be easier to build a time machine than passing the test now. bad thing is as well is that from april 2013 (i think) the dsa are "introducing new measure with regard to motorcycle test" i didnt bother to look in any detail about it but it can only mean one thing, well two things, cost more and be more difficult. so the heat is on for me to pass before 2013. all the best fella's, chicago

Offline tsubahog

• Moving Up
  • New Jersey, USA
« Reply #8 on: 07.07. 2012 14:53 »

Same thing for me in 1965 except I took the test in the rain. When I came around the corner, the examiner was "hiding" behind a lamppost with his umbrella up - my emergency stop happened at about 2mph and I passed! Current tests here in New Jersey can be taken on an automatic 99cc scooter - pass your test and leave the test center on your 200mph Hyabusa.....

tsuba
1953 A10 plunger with Watsonian sidecar

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #9 on: 10.07. 2012 11:17 »
Hi Tsuba, your test identical to mine, raining ,examiner not only hiding from rain but in deep conversation with my Brother when he did "emergency stop at about 10 mph . Also same has New Jersey pass your test and get on anything you could afford ,scary but thats the way it was. When we sold a 250cc to a learner sometimes you were amazed that they actually got out of the showrooms in one peace let alone survive long enough to pass a test! strangely most did and arrived back in 6 mths time to get something bigger and faster and continue scaring the living daylights out of there parents .
In our group of 5 all of us passed our tests within 6mths  and had 650's and collectively hit amongst other things a bus (me ) , a cow ?? ( eddie) a kerb (Yes a kerb , forgot to turn??!! (Jimmy) always at the back after that . a lime pit (jimmy again ) and a small bush (Barry ) and a cortina mk2 (bruce ) with just his kickstart took a coil of metal out as neat as anyone could do with a tool!! All survived to raise our our own kids .
Hi Chicago, missed your question ,no sorry other side of Liverpool but my wife hales from smithdown rd /lane area which is very close to Tunnel Rd 'fraid to say your Dad wouldn't know that area now virtually all demolished and cleared for new houses definately for the best, cheers BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
« Reply #10 on: 18.07. 2012 11:01 »
hi BobH,
 "Hi Chicago, missed your question ,no sorry other side of Liverpool but my wife hales from smithdown rd /lane area which is very close to Tunnel Rd 'fraid to say your Dad wouldn't know that area now virtually all demolished and cleared for new houses definately for the best, cheers BobH"
yeah me and my dad were looking on google earth the other week and all the familiar building's he knew were gone. after the stories he's told me about housing condition's on tunnel road back in the day i think i'd agree that it's for the better they've all gone. all the best fella, chicago