Author Topic: Modern oil filter for an A10.....Need advice!!!!  (Read 7680 times)

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: Modern oil filter for an A10.....Need advice!!!!
« Reply #15 on: 05.04. 2017 15:10 »
If you are on the continent the CV2 filters are fine, but we did not get the CV2 down here so it is not a popular, thus cheap filter.

The mower filters are $10 a pot from me + postage at cost.
If you are coming to the All British I can bring you a carton full if you like ( 12).
I think a full carton goes around  $ 20 postage but a single filter is $ 9 postage but it has been a while since I posted any so I will have to check.
Not trying to advertise just help a fellow bike rider.
They are Champion filters made in the USA not junk from China like a lot on evilbay because I have to warrant the filters and the mower services.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #16 on: 05.04. 2017 22:03 »
Just make extra sure that the oil lines are securely attached to the filter housing. I thought mine were, but several thousand miles later I found out that in fact they were not.
The filter housing I used came from either RGM or Norvil, can't remember which, and the pipe attachments were short lengths of smooth tubing. Not really adequate for hot oil and vibration.
None of my bikes now sport external oil filters. I have new respect for the original factory setup and regular oil changes.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 05.04. 2017 22:15 »
Probably the best and most cost effective mod I've made t't bike. Fitted new about 26 yrs ago and bought from Unity equipe, manx and triton bolt on goodie shop. Ive just had a look at their catalogue and they still do it.  Its been running with citroen 2CV filters and never had a problem.
Ive tried to show the rudimentary bkt I made to take the two tapped holes of the filter housing.

Interesting paint scheme  *smile* I've not seen many if any army style ones, how about a full size pic and history in the intro/pic section? Nice ignition conversion also?

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 06.04. 2017 10:10 »

Thanks for everyones input, (especially Richard for taking so much time to find those links- Only one was really relevant  though) but my query was really only regarding availability options of replacement filters, as filter location is decided as per pics, and is on my Plunger model....so swing arm tips just don't work- thanks but sorry *dunno2*

GB- I did originally have mine in a similar place as yours (see pic #2), but that doesn't work for me this time. I started to make a custom toolbox based on the shape of what I believe to be a rigid toolbox that I bought at a swap, but its bottom front corner is where the filter was before, attached to the mudguard, . I needed the toolbox to house the battery, but only made it as far as functionality stage- works for me....and there's a bit of real estate behind the battery that's just a perfect size for the filter (who needs tools *dunno* *shh* *bash*).

Trevor, I did some research but the results showed  B&S filters with 3/4"x 16 threads and mine is 16mm x1.5 (M16)  I'll keep that in mind for later, but today the aforesaid happened
....where I'm being vocationally challenged tomorrow,......
, challenged me enough to no longer be there >one day was a challenge, two broke the camel<, so had the day to chase around and ended up at the Bike shops, where I spoke to Jill who works there but was next door tending to Tom at the Gutzzi shop, and she said they sometimes have the Champion ones but wasn't sure this time, but I ended up with a $19 filter, but wasn't until I opened the box I realized it to be an 'Emgo' product....has anyone had experience with these??
 It's 10mm shorter @ ~67mm, see pic #3? which is ideal- will save me removing the whole deal for oil change, but no big deal either...reckon I'll give it a go, hopefully can't be worse than no filter *eek*.

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #19 on: 06.04. 2017 13:29 »
The local Brit bike shop supplied an Emgo filter for the Commando a few years ago. While installing it I noticed some shiney loose bits down inside the element. It turned out to be metal swarf from the thread cutting operation!!
That may have been a one in a million problem, like the bottle of Coke with a rock inside, but I don't use Emgo filters anymore.

Glen

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 06.04. 2017 14:07 »
I've been using Emgo filters, (same size as yours duTch) supplied by Feked.com.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #21 on: 06.04. 2017 15:42 »
Interesting.
I have 3 Norton / Triumph filter housing all threaded 3/4  x 16 NP ( same as BSPP )
Should have occurred to me that a CV-2 filter would have a metric thread.
Cant do any thing in metric other than 20 x 1.5 ( Honda & Kawakasi ).
The Emgo filters were made by Champion ( same as the ones I get ) but I think they now come from China.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 06.04. 2017 18:25 »
Hi Dutch and All,

I posted recently on a similar thread on how I have gotten round the problem of 16mm threads on the filter head limiting the available
filter options
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=11530.msg87757#msg87757

Link
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Galvanised-Reducers-20mm-16mm-suitable-for-Conduit-BA4712016G-/172597195086
Such an adaptor should bee available readily from your decent local electrical factors

Then fit any readily available 20mm thread filter,  I am using a Peugeot / Renault, "Coopers Z1277"

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 06.04. 2017 18:35 »

Thanks for everyones input, (especially Richard for taking so much time to find those links- Only one was really relevant  though) but my query was really only regarding availability options of replacement filters,   

Dutch,

Once again we've crossed beams mate (think Ghost Busters, I know you haven't seen it, so "crossed rifles" will work).  I thought I was responding to BSARoadRocket ("BSARR" in my post) but I'm glad you got something from one of the links. Having gone back and read your posts in this topic, I can see how it got confusing.

Richard L.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 06.04. 2017 21:30 »

Yo Richard- no probs, I forgot I stole someone else's gig.  *smile*   'BSARR' hasn't been back anyway  *dunno*

John - I did note your idea on page 1 so didn't double up, it does sound like an easy one- until I get to the "  I am using a Peugeot / Renault, "Coopers Z1277" " bit....I did spot any Z1277's  in my local 'Snoopercrap' store yesterday, but they do have the HF 153 of Muskies suggest, but made in Thailand *conf2*.... then my eyes went spazz-modic... *eek*

GB- Yep had a look at that but couldn't see the brand in the one I looked at; thing is, the exchange rate+ postage makes it unviable, but thanks; note that Halfordshave a " Champion Motorcycle Oil Filter H301   £7 ", but doesn't show thread size (that I can see)
        http://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-parts-manuals/champion-motorcycle-oil-filter-h301

Trev; my thread gauge wasn't comfortable with 16tpi, but close(ish) and 14 was way off- 15tpi might be closer- but I doubt that even exists....if I can hunt down an old one I'll try it for fit.
    This is the result i was looking at for "Oil Filter for Briggs & Stratton 492932 / 83-013" ;
     https://www.oregonpartsstore.com/83-013.html

So anyway after a hunt or two on the 'nets', it seems the Champion number to use is H101, so reckon I'll chase up some of those, and that comes from discussion I found on a Norton forum(s).

Seems there's plenty of options in the US and EU/Brexit zones but not here... *pull hair out*

I'll see what I come up with and let yezknow       *beer* *beer*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #25 on: 07.04. 2017 04:15 »
Andover Norton sells filters for the
Norton housing @ 4.95 GBP.

Glen

Offline lillygunny

• Moving Up
« Reply #26 on: 13.05. 2017 02:19 »
I had Frank Diehl of Classic Cycle Works install mine. When changing the filter, puncture with a screw driver while holding a drain funnel underneath and there will not be a mess in the tool box.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 13.05. 2017 03:47 »
Where's your voltage regulator?

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #28 on: 13.05. 2017 10:52 »

Yo Richard- no probs, I forgot I stole someone else's gig.  *smile*   'BSARR' hasn't been back anyway  *dunno*

John - I did note your idea on page 1 so didn't double up, it does sound like an easy one- until I get to the "  I am using a Peugeot / Renault, "Coopers Z1277" " bit....I did spot any Z1277's  in my local 'Snoopercrap' store yesterday, but they do have the HF 153 of Muskies suggest, but made in Thailand *conf2*.... then my eyes went spazz-modic... *eek*

GB- Yep had a look at that but couldn't see the brand in the one I looked at; thing is, the exchange rate+ postage makes it unviable, but thanks; note that Halfordshave a " Champion Motorcycle Oil Filter H301   £7 ", but doesn't show thread size (that I can see)
        http://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-parts-manuals/champion-motorcycle-oil-filter-h301

Trev; my thread gauge wasn't comfortable with 16tpi, but close(ish) and 14 was way off- 15tpi might be closer- but I doubt that even exists....if I can hunt down an old one I'll try it for fit.
    This is the result i was looking at for "Oil Filter for Briggs & Stratton 492932 / 83-013" ;
     https://www.oregonpartsstore.com/83-013.html

So anyway after a hunt or two on the 'nets', it seems the Champion number to use is H101, so reckon I'll chase up some of those, and that comes from discussion I found on a Norton forum(s).

Seems there's plenty of options in the US and EU/Brexit zones but not here... *pull hair out*

I'll see what I come up with and let yezknow       *beer* *beer*

Been a while but I have got to the bottom ( I think ) of the oil filter thread paradox.
The Emgo unit sold in the USA, of which I have 3 is threaded BSP  ( actually it is unified pipe but they are just about identical )
The Norton unit Shane has is threaded Metric.
So it looks like there are two identical looking filter housings with different threads.

For a while I thought I was going mad as I had shifted a lot of Briggs filters down here and no one has complained that they did not fit.
I have a filter head labled Triumph & another identical one labled EMGO , both imperial.
Sorry if I have been the cause of confusion.

OTOH when I get the next batch in to flog I will be able to warn customers .
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 13.05. 2017 11:17 »

No probs Trev., I'd say I'm in as deep as you *smile*, and i did have more of a look and found that the M16 x 1.5 is very close to something like UNF? @16TPI? OR NPPT or something I'll have a look at when i stager back to the Chaparral later. ..or is it the Ponderosa   *conf*
Australia