Author Topic: Mag original or boyer???  (Read 4811 times)

Offline jfligg

• Valued Contributor
Mag original or boyer???
« on: 02.09. 2008 22:59 »
Hi Guys it seems that the mag on my 1959 Super Rocket needs a rebuild.  I had it done once before, but it was obviously not done correctly.  It cuts out when hot.  I have been looking over these electronic conversions and they seem pretty good; even spark advance from side to side, electronically controlled advnce.  seems pretty sweet.  I dont like the fact you have to depend on the charging system and battery.  Converting to a Alton generator seems very expensive.  Has any one done this out there?  I would like to hear of your experiences.  Thanks Jeff

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Mag original or boyer???
« Reply #1 on: 03.09. 2008 06:28 »
My opinion, the picture here sums it up pretty well  ;)
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=610.0

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 03.09. 2008 08:56 »
A10GF: Seriously get your magneto rebuilt by one of the good guys.
I have an Alton on my bike, and its great. We require daytime running lights here and I never had any luck with dynamo systems (probably due to my ignorance).
But I would still stick with a magneto for your sparking.
Cheers,
Iain

Offline jfligg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 03.09. 2008 12:05 »
Hi Guys Who do you guys reccommendto do a full rebuild.  Thanks Jeff

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 03.09. 2008 13:24 »
I've used Dave Lindsley before.
Seems to have done a good job.

Iain

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 03.09. 2008 15:28 »
Jeff,

It's not that I know this fellow or have experienced his work, but I am on this forum enough to remember the same question under this topic link:

http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=565.0

From what I read there, the man did a great job. One thing, though, I just looked at your email address and, apparently, you are in Canada. Sorry if this is confusion.

Tony Cooper
TC Motorcycles, 110 Olive Lane, Halesowen, B62 8LT.
Tel: (+44) 0121 559 2405

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #6 on: 03.09. 2008 18:04 »
Tony Cooper comes much recommended here and in other forums. Good value, quick turnround . . . but from Canada, don't know! However, the post takes a few days each way, is all, although could be pricey as you'd want to insure the thing I'm sure.
Bill

Offline frankenstein

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 03.09. 2008 19:08 »
hi....my gold flash was purchased with a boyer electronic ignition system already fitted...i am the poor sod loading the flash in to the sos van...i have solved my problem....it did not lie with the electronic ignition it was an old lucas regulator that was boiling the battery...when inspected it look like it had been apart a million times before...so new regulator purchased and battery...things are now great....so you must have a good regulator and battery and a healthy electrical system.... if your battery dies your bike stops....but on the plus side...i have no point to adjust or any other mag problems...the bike runs great...so its a fit and forget system......but just to be on the safe side i now have an extra sealed 6 volt battery (maplins 15 quid ) installed behind the varta main battery...so in an emergency i can hook it up....hope this helps!

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #8 on: 03.09. 2008 22:08 »
Good you got it all fixed and running well again. Ref my post above, altough I like old Lucas stuff and any 'vintageness' that can be kept in working order, there is no doubt about electronic having several advantages, like the L-R accuracy, advance, no wear etc.

But there is 'something' about having a magneto-powered engine. (And if I got it right, small airplanes still uses them because of reliability and simplicity (although they have 2, one as backup). But yes, quite some amount of time has been spent on my worn magneto (still needs a total rebuild), and the 1 and only time I had to get a van to get me home was a magneto failure! (armature to slipring wire broken).

Btw, I remember now, once making emergency ignition (coil) power for a friends 'stuck in a cornfield' NSU 1938, using 5 x 1,5v torch lamp batteries + bits of wires, cardboard and tape. He could ride home.

e

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #9 on: 04.09. 2008 09:38 »
I like old Lucas stuff and any 'vintageness' that can be kept in working order

Me too! It must be a pyscological thing. Its all part of owning a Classic Motorcycle. Once modern parts are fitted something feels lost. I have learnt such alot from my motorcycles, mainly because of there simplicity.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline frankenstein

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 04.09. 2008 14:46 »
i think sometimes modern technology can be a real help to classic bikes...like solid state regulators and electronic ignition as long as they are not to obtrusive...and can only add to the enjoyment of our machines...but at the end of the day its down to the owner as to which way they go...cheers!

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Good Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
« Reply #11 on: 04.09. 2008 15:17 »
I agree. Mixing the good old BSA technology with modern can enhance enjoyment, not to mention reliability. Halogen lights and LED are other good examples. Just catching up after the IoM BSA Rally. It was clear in those wet and windy Manx conditions that the Achilles heel of a number of machines was the magneto. They are far less dependable in service than that other Lucas bete noir, the dynamo, in my experience. But then you need also a good regulator to give correct charging. Overcharge is very damaging to lead-acid batteries (incidentally gel batteries are more susceptible to such damage). Shorter life and more maintenance (topping up to replenish loss through gassing) if good regulation is not maintained.

My A10 since has performed better than ever since Boyer fitted (the weak magneto was put aside for a rainy day). Easy starting, reliable idle, free revving, less pinking under load. Since designing my own regulator (to replace the one with the low speed 2 Amp discharge into the field) the battery has not been topped up, acid or charge wise in 5k plus miles. And the battery was a cheap bog standard Chinese made wet one as seen at many 'jumbles.

It is a personal choice of course but I was swayed by the number of times you hear of rebuilt mags needed further attention in just a couple of years. BTW if I were converting today I would probably go for a Pazon unit. I noticed today that Classic Solutions from whom I bought my conversion kit has apparently ceased trading.

Cheers, Mike
Mike Hutchings
A10, T800
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com

wdco42

« Reply #12 on: 05.09. 2008 02:27 »
Hello everybody, I'm new on the forum. I have my A10 (1960)for 25 years, and I was so bored with mag troubles ( especially the auto advance pinion that was sleeping regulary, and to finish, a failure during a trip in Spain) that I have fitted a Delco pick-up from a Triumph. The idea was that even the battery is going to be feeble, you can ride a few km before being stopped, and have greater chances to find one in a shop on your road than a K2F!
The trouble with a mag is that it can fail at any moment, and if you don't have an other one.... The same with electronic ignition, but it is far easier to change it in emergency, and much lighter as a spare part...

The dynamo is itself strong, no high tension like the mag, no special bearings and stupid isolating shims, no heat, no centrifuged condenser, just maintain them clean inside.The great problems are the bearings (modern sealed SKF help a lot), and the old regulator, that doesn't appreciate vibes. i have fitted an electronic one, and no troubles at all since years.

An alternative to the K2F is the Hunt mag, that has the great advantage to have a rotating magnet (much simpler, easy to maintain and repair), like the Lucas SR2, and the bigger advantage to be bought new !
 http://www.huntmagnetos.com/motorcycle-pricelist.php
It is a bit expensive, but it is new, and you have all the parts you need.

Cheers

Claude

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 05.09. 2008 09:23 »
Claude and Mike,
Good points and well stated.
I well remember hanging around a campsite where it had rained the entire weekend, as a mate attempted to dry out his mag with a hairdrier. He ended up being AA'd from Norfolk to Edinburgh.
My last magneto rebuilt came about, I'm sure, because the bike sat unused in a very damp shed for over a year.
Cheers,
Iain