Author Topic: A7 Plunger Gearbox Selector not turning camplate  (Read 890 times)

Offline namloop

• Moving Up
Hi to all ? after the reassembly of my A7 plunger gearbox, the selector would not turn the cam plate with the gear selector claw, skidding over the surface rather than turning it.
I read a number of posts which led me to think the inner cover gasket may be too thick and was increasing  the distance between the two surfaces.
I removed the gasket completely and both the shafts and associated cogs leaving only the claw assembled in position in the cover and the camplate on its pivot in the case.
In that state the claw is not turning the camplate - this has removed the gasket from the equation.
What has me stumped is that it was selecting prior to strip down and the only replacement parts have been the bearings.
There are no red dots to line up so I have marked the neutral detent on the cam plate with white paint that I can see though the camplate plunger hole and insert the claw as close to horizontal as possible.
Any thoughts or comments appreciated.
Regards,

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: A7 Plunger Gearbox Selector not turning camplate
« Reply #1 on: 22.10. 2012 10:53 »
Are you sure that the cam plate , the selector & the gear change are timed correctly.
We have all put a box back together with the box in top & the gear change in 1st
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline namloop

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 22.10. 2012 11:18 »
Hi Trevor - what would indicate this conflict? The wrong detent? Any tips on confirming the correct procedure appreciated.
Stephen

Offline namloop

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 23.10. 2012 10:44 »
Again hi to all - the last comment was for anyone who had an opinion on the reassembly configuration to ensure the box is set up correctly.
Cheers!
Stephen