Author Topic: Charging indicator LED?  (Read 3931 times)

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
Re: Charging indicator LED?
« Reply #30 on: 29.10. 2012 18:39 »
It's a pleasure Neil, I hope they work........ I am about to order one now!
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #31 on: 29.10. 2012 18:54 »
Another scheme that would work is a charge warning light, as used by cars with dynamos. It's just a small bulb wired between dynamo D and battery live. It would need a battery isolating switch for when you're parked, but that might be a good idea anyway.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #32 on: 30.10. 2012 18:18 »
 Yep, that's what I use on the cafe TT. Flick the switch it glows red, start and idle a dim glow and goes out with a few revs.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 30.10. 2012 20:39 »
Yep, that's what I use on the cafe TT. Flick the switch it glows red, start and idle a dim glow and goes out with a few revs.
Cheers

I had a lazy dynamo that used to forget its polarity. Fitting a charge warning lamp actually cured it.

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #34 on: 30.10. 2012 22:50 »
Any idea how that woks Triton or Musk? I understand why it lights up, but why does it flicker and then go out?
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: 31.10. 2012 02:10 »
Easy, Metalflake.
When the generator is not turning, the current has a path from the battery through the lamp then through the armature to earth.
When the generator starts working, the voltage rises and when it equalises with the voltage from the lamp the lamp will be extinguished as the voltage on either side of the lamp will be the same, therefore no possibility of current flowing to earth.

Trev.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #36 on: 31.10. 2012 13:15 »

Trev that's the most useful 'useless piece of info' I've read in a while!
 I'd've used that bulb as a test light and then spent years trying to figure out why it works sometimes, but not otherwise....

Beaudy, it's on my list of things to keep in mind, cheers

S'pose I use LED (in 6v combo) and hooked up the right way, wouldn't glow unless something amiss negating the need for isolator (still working on that theory, made it up as I went along-as I do)?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #37 on: 31.10. 2012 15:00 »
Thanks for that Trevinoz. Well explained!
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #38 on: 31.10. 2012 22:00 »
Dutch,
                 I'm not sure what you want to do.
If you connect an LED it will glow the same as an incandescent lamp and go out when the voltage equalises.
Much less current draw so could glow for a long time before discharging the battery when the bike is not running.

Trev.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #39 on: 03.11. 2012 00:49 »
Thanks to everyone who got involved with my request.

Neil Ives UK
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #40 on: 03.11. 2012 02:56 »
Neil, fitted the one off e-bay today. Just about as easy as it gets really to wire up and the best bit is, it works a treat. However what may interest you more, is the fact that you can get it without the bezel fitted which means you can fit it into your ammeter with ease. It would require a hole of about 3/16" pop it in, seal with a splash of silicone and it will illuminate your ameter as a bonus. To do this though you will have to order the smallest one and ask him not to fit the bezel before he sends it.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #41 on: 03.11. 2012 10:54 »
Neil, fitted the one off e-bay today. Just about as easy as it gets really to wire up and the best bit is, it works a treat. However what may interest you more, is the fact that you can get it without the bezel fitted which means you can fit it into your ammeter with ease. It would require a hole of about 3/16" pop it in, seal with a splash of silicone and it will illuminate your ameter as a bonus. To do this though you will have to order the smallest one and ask him not to fit the bezel before he sends it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Neil
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #42 on: 11.11. 2012 15:24 »

I have just ordered one of these gizmos. I'm thinking that I will need to be able to disconnect it when not required but of course I don't have an ignition switch so I may make a 6v relay operated by the lighting circuit:  I only need it in the dark.

Neil Ives UK
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #43 on: 11.11. 2012 15:49 »
Hello Neil, Two ways to do it, an on/off swiich on the earth side of the unit, letting you run it night and day. Or connect the live to the back light which would have the unit only working when the lights are on. If your pilot light works on dip and main beam that would work too. It does only have a tiny drain on the battery though, and I have left mine on all the time (12v 3ah battery). The reason behind this is that the smaller unit looks very much like an alarm warning light, which is a bonus! Personally I would go for the first option in your case simply because it is better to find out the bike is not charging in daylight, than at night. At least that way it gives you the chance to get parked up before darkness sets in.
       Cheers Rob
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #44 on: 12.11. 2012 09:50 »

Hey Trev, I forget all of what I had in mind back there, a combination of ideas, but will have a play, and if it works will get back to you
 I find LED potential quite fascinating, thanks guys
 cheers

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia