Author Topic: scitsu rev clock  (Read 5154 times)

Offline roadrocket.chris

• A's Good Friend
  • my pride and joy
    • roadrocket
scitsu rev clock
« on: 13.11. 2012 18:21 »
hi can anyone help i have a scitsu rev clock on my rocket it has been back to the factory at my cost twice, and still does not work properly .it has a signal wire which runs down to the ht leads. can anyone suggest a way to shield the signal wire to see if that helps or any other solutions .thanks in advance chris.
roadrocket
condor a350
motoguzzi v50
armstrong 500 mt
bantam d3
Ireland

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
Re: scitsu rev clock
« Reply #1 on: 13.11. 2012 23:53 »
Screened or shielded type wire is available for use in things like plc's or frequency inverters where radio interference can cause problems to the operation of the machinery they are connected to. Are you using the original wire that came with the rev clock ?     

Offline roadrocket.chris

• A's Good Friend
  • my pride and joy
    • roadrocket
« Reply #2 on: 14.11. 2012 17:15 »
yes i am using the wire it came with it  just wont read passed 2 thousand revs and a very jumpy needle at that. anywhere you think i might get the wire you suggest in ireland.thanks chris.
roadrocket
condor a350
motoguzzi v50
armstrong 500 mt
bantam d3
Ireland

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 14.11. 2012 17:49 »
If you have the 'Auto' or the 'B1' model it won't work apparently.  *dunno*
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline roadrocket.chris

• A's Good Friend
  • my pride and joy
    • roadrocket
« Reply #4 on: 14.11. 2012 18:27 »
why do you say that they know what bike it was for when i bought it and twice it has been back to the factory  where work was not done which was promised.

here's a video i made of the problem

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nEZyAGrVyJE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
roadrocket
condor a350
motoguzzi v50
armstrong 500 mt
bantam d3
Ireland

Offline roadrocket.chris

• A's Good Friend
  • my pride and joy
    • roadrocket
« Reply #5 on: 14.11. 2012 18:28 »
repost of the video

http://youtu.be/nEZyAGrVyJE
roadrocket
condor a350
motoguzzi v50
armstrong 500 mt
bantam d3
Ireland

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 14.11. 2012 20:48 »
Just a thought, but does it make a difference which HT lead the pickup is attached to? Spark polarity on a twin magneto is different between left and right plug, maybe the rev counter electronics need the "correct" one to work properly?

On their site, Scitsu also mention an adjustable resistor in the pickup lead for use with magnetos, to tune the tach, see the link below. I couldn't see that in your video???

http://www.scitsu.co.uk/docs/magneto%20notes.htm

Good luck with it!
Markus
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 14.11. 2012 22:45 »
I am repeating what they say on the website. They may have known what it was for but still sent you the wrong one, brains seem to be in short supply these days!  *smile*........... MG could have a point so try swapping leads. Also any of this type of thing I have seen before have had the sensor wire coiled  around the lead like a spring rather than running along side. Good luck!
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline warmshed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 17.11. 2012 09:57 »

You say in the video that " the wire goes in a "Z" round the other side"?  do I understand by this you have connected the wire or allowed it to run near BOTH HT leads? this would certainly cause you a problem as the pulses would try to cancel each other out once the revs rise.  Dave.

Offline roadrocket.chris

• A's Good Friend
  • my pride and joy
    • roadrocket
« Reply #9 on: 17.11. 2012 17:28 »
This is the way scitzu told me to do it. I tried coiling it round the HT leads and that didn't work either
roadrocket
condor a350
motoguzzi v50
armstrong 500 mt
bantam d3
Ireland

Offline warmshed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 18.11. 2012 10:17 »
Have you tried just one lead?, must work because it does on singles though may register just half of the speed. You could also try reversing the direction of the sensing lead on the second HT.

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 18.11. 2012 10:29 »
According to Scitsu's fitment list connecting the pickup wire to both HT leads is correct for the "black" version of their rev counters. So unless they don't know how a twin magneto works (unlikely), changing the way the sensing lead is attached prolly won't be to any avail. Still, worth a try.

FWIW, I have recently tried one of these as a temporary way of monitoring revs on the A10 (just out of interest):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tach-Hour-Meter-For-Motorcycle-ATV-Snowmobile-Boat-Gas-Engine-Tachometer-Bike-/280929962699?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4168bb0acb
The most useless piece of c**p I have bought in a long time. It takes about 4 seconds to react to any change in revs at all, and won't go above 4800 rpm, flat out, despite all my best efforts in trying different ways of attaching the pickup wire(s), numbers and direction of coiling, changing leads, connecting and disconnecting the ground wire etc. etc. Not worth the money, however little it is.
The hour meter option works okay though, so maybe useful for an old tractor... (non-Diesel  ;) )
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline warmshed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 18.11. 2012 12:15 »
I agree their instructions should indicate the way they should be wired. The z method of connection is listed to connect both leads hoiwever there is a note:-

"The 'Sensor Wire' between each spark plug lead should describe. a letter 'Z'. The current is then induced into the 'Sensor Wire' in the same direction from each of the HT leads."  

If the current direction is reversed on the second lead on the magneto then I would think you should reverse the direction the sense lead is taped to the second HT lead??

Offline roadrocket.chris

• A's Good Friend
  • my pride and joy
    • roadrocket
« Reply #13 on: 18.11. 2012 15:59 »
i will try what warmshed suggests . i tried it on the ht lead on my golf car .lead from coil to distributor and it read double the revs i am getting to think its a pile of crap and the company has not been very helpful still i will keep trying.
roadrocket
condor a350
motoguzzi v50
armstrong 500 mt
bantam d3
Ireland

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 18.11. 2012 16:12 »
Wish I could help more but it's got me beat. *dunno*
England N.W