Author Topic: scitsu rev clock  (Read 5153 times)

Offline roadrocket.chris

• A's Good Friend
  • my pride and joy
    • roadrocket
Re: scitsu rev clock
« Reply #15 on: 18.11. 2012 17:01 »
mg this one was not cheap its cost me 140 pounds sterling you would expect something better for that kind of money.
roadrocket
condor a350
motoguzzi v50
armstrong 500 mt
bantam d3
Ireland

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 18.11. 2012 17:18 »
Hi Chris
I'm watching this thread with interest, thought about this kind of set up some time ago but have got nowhere with it as yet (time and tide and so forth)

i tried it on the ht lead on my golf car .lead from coil to distributor and it read double the revs

How many cylinders does your golf buggy have, if it reads a pulse between coil and distributor will it not give 1 x no of cylinders - revs if a two stroke or 1 X no cylinders/2 for a four stroke.
I've looked at one or two of these and they sometimes have a facility to set them for the type of engine and number of cylinders.

One more bit of info just to add to the plot, I have a strobe light that works in a similar fashion, at least as long as you have the sender on the HT lead the right way around, if it's on back to front it doesn't read at all.

Not a great help I know, my suggestion (based knowledge gained by once examining a Perdio six transistor radio in 1962) is to try one turn at a time of the wire around the HT lead in one direction then the same in the other direction ( by direction I mean clockwise around the lead then anti clockwise)

Electronic experts can you please now get up of the floor and dust your selves down
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #17 on: 18.11. 2012 18:00 »
MG made a point earlier about an adjustable resistor on the pick up lead. In the link he posted, it does say that it needs to be tuned in as he says. Have you got one? If not, he could be on the nail with his post.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline roadrocket.chris

• A's Good Friend
  • my pride and joy
    • roadrocket
« Reply #18 on: 18.11. 2012 18:43 »
sorry i did not make it clearer i meant my volkswagen golf motor car 1800cc    4 cylinder petrol engine as regards the resistor i tried with it no joy scitsu said try it without still no joy .what next.
roadrocket
condor a350
motoguzzi v50
armstrong 500 mt
bantam d3
Ireland

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #19 on: 18.11. 2012 19:57 »
Hooking it up between coil and distributor on your Golf car(t) (*lol*) the unit sees 2 sparks per every full crank revolution. Hooked up to both HT leads on the magneto it should count 1 spark every revolution, so the number of pulses per minute the unit counts equals crank rpm on a parallel twin. So it MUST display twice the engine rpm when mounted to your Golf the way you did.
So far so good, the unit seems to work okay and be the one you want, the problem must be elsewhere.

Try mounting the pickup wire to ONE HT lead only and see if you can get correct measurement of HALF the engine rpm. If not, try adjusting the aforementioned potentiometer. If still no joy, reverse the direction of the pickup wire relative to the HT lead and try again. If successful, try the other HT lead alone and see if you need the same orientation of the pickup wire or not. This should give you an indication of how to mount the pickup wire to both HT leads correctly, unless you have tried all that already, then it's got me beat as well...

It's a shame the unit doesn't work properly for that sort of money, and the lack of support from the manufacturer is even more so!

Err, you are using non-resistor copper cables, plug caps and plugs, are you?
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 18.11. 2012 20:51 »
Hooking it up between coil and distributor on your Golf car(t) (*lol*) the unit sees 2 sparks per every full crank revolution. Hooked up to both HT leads on the magneto it should count 1 spark every revolution, so the number of pulses per minute the unit counts equals crank rpm on a parallel twin. So it MUST display twice the engine rpm when mounted to your Golf the way you did.
So far so good, the unit seems to work okay and be the one you want, the problem must be elsewhere.

Try mounting the pickup wire to ONE HT lead only and see if you can get correct measurement of HALF the engine rpm. If not, try adjusting the aforementioned potentiometer. If still no joy, reverse the direction of the pickup wire relative to the HT lead and try again. If successful, try the other HT lead alone and see if you need the same orientation of the pickup wire or not. This should give you an indication of how to mount the pickup wire to both HT leads correctly, unless you have tried all that already, then it's got me beat as well...

It's a shame the unit doesn't work properly for that sort of money, and the lack of support from the manufacturer is even more so!

Err, you are using non-resistor copper cables, plug caps and plugs, are you?

.......Very good point! *yeah*
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline roadrocket.chris

• A's Good Friend
  • my pride and joy
    • roadrocket
« Reply #21 on: 19.11. 2012 17:24 »
hi lads tried with one lead no reading at all tried down one lead and up the other signal wire in u shape some improvement cant try on the road yet we have monsoon weather at the moment .just for good measure it had wet sumped  and blew oil out the breather over the shed floor  such is life.
roadrocket
condor a350
motoguzzi v50
armstrong 500 mt
bantam d3
Ireland

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #22 on: 19.11. 2012 17:33 »
Hello Chris, what about the adjustable resistor?  HT leads, caps and plugs all non resistor?
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline roadrocket.chris

• A's Good Friend
  • my pride and joy
    • roadrocket
« Reply #23 on: 19.11. 2012 18:53 »
resistor   is set at minimum resistance or it wont work at all.copper leads and non resistor caps and plugs need some dry weather now.
roadrocket
condor a350
motoguzzi v50
armstrong 500 mt
bantam d3
Ireland

Offline warmshed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #24 on: 19.11. 2012 22:32 »
Have you tried reversing the direction of the second HT yet as mentioned in my previous post, looks a winner to me.

Offline roadrocket.chris

• A's Good Friend
  • my pride and joy
    • roadrocket
« Reply #25 on: 20.11. 2012 16:51 »
hi warmshed i tried what you said it now reads up to 3 thousand revs some improvement i will get their some time i hope.
roadrocket
condor a350
motoguzzi v50
armstrong 500 mt
bantam d3
Ireland

Offline warmshed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #26 on: 21.11. 2012 00:34 »
Does it get upto 3k rpm when only one lead is connected?

Offline roadrocket.chris

• A's Good Friend
  • my pride and joy
    • roadrocket
« Reply #27 on: 21.11. 2012 17:11 »
with one lead connected it does not work at all  its a little better  now goin down the left lead and up the right lead in the shape  of a u but not very smooth.
roadrocket
condor a350
motoguzzi v50
armstrong 500 mt
bantam d3
Ireland

Offline warmshed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #28 on: 23.11. 2012 00:15 »
Did you check using one feed with both HT leads? 3000rpm max is about half of what you need looks like its only reading one lead, and its not right to get zero reading with one lead connected.  Could try reversing the wire on the first ht, if you get a reading you maythem  need to try both orientations on the second ht lead.

Offline roadrocket.chris

• A's Good Friend
  • my pride and joy
    • roadrocket
« Reply #29 on: 09.01. 2013 16:38 »
UPDATE

I got a comment out of the blue on my video from dylan stuchbury on 01/03/13

''send it in for repair, if it's still under warranty
we'll sort it for free, if its old repairs are very economical.
 That's the quickest and best way to get it sorted.''

I don't know who this person is or his connection with scitzu.

I replied

''Hi Dylan,
It was returned to Tony Dawson twice at 12 pound sterling a pop.
 The last time, it was sent, he told me on the phone he would alter it
 so it could be hardwired to the bike's own battery. It came back the same way it went,
 with a note saying try coiling the signal wire 6 times round each ht lead. All to no avail.
 You can see why I'm not very happy with it. I posted this on the A7 and A10 forum, and tried every suggestion made,
 without any success. Here's the link to the forum topic
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,6367.0.html

I hope you can help, I don't want to waste any more money.
Kind Regards
Chris Whitehead.
Sent to: dylan stuchbury''

haven't heard back, so I don't really know what is going on.

I tried all your recommendations with no success, so thanks lads, I'll keep you informed. *conf* *conf* *conf* *conf*
roadrocket
condor a350
motoguzzi v50
armstrong 500 mt
bantam d3
Ireland