Author Topic: Kill switch 2nd Edition  (Read 1481 times)

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
Kill switch 2nd Edition
« on: 14.11. 2012 16:00 »
Hi me again.
First of all what a great forum, thanks.
Fitted my brand new kill switch and wired it up to the end of the magneto. Test all joints with AVO, spot on. Started the engine then hit the kill switch again and again, it still runs ?? Am I using the wrong wire ? or is there a time delay. I have been turning the fuel off to stop it. This is my first magneto bike, so please be patient with me.
Ta Colin

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
Re: Kill switch 2nd Edition
« Reply #1 on: 14.11. 2012 16:43 »
1. If you disconnect the lead that runs from the dynamo to the switch and earth it does that stop the engine?

If so, the switch or wiring between where you disconnected and the switch is faulty

If not, the problem is probably in the brush on the magneto end which should be contacting the hex head on top of the points assembly.

You do know the wire needs to be earthed to stop it don't you?
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 14.11. 2012 17:16 »
Hi Colin, does your mag have pin in the centre of the end cover or is it a bakelite cover with screwin plastic connection for the lead ? Either way is the kill switch well earthed through the bars all conections up to it you say are good but if it can't earth it won't stop it . If ok then check to see if the bars are allowing a path to earth as it earths via the head bearings unless you've fitted a strap . You probably have checked all this but just incase ,best wishes BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 14.11. 2012 17:34 »
Hi Bob
If you look at my entry for 9th October, someone has posted two pictures of Magnetos. Mine is the bottom one of the two. The new switch is on the handle bars. I do have a faint buzz on the AVO between the two ends when I engage the kill switch. How do I get the end of the mag off without mucking up the timing. I will double check the earth between handlebars and engine. thanks again.

Colin

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 14.11. 2012 17:58 »
Just unscrew the end cap, that is all it is, a cap! inside there should be a carbon brush that looks like a fat pencil lead. that should be on a spring and move in and out easily. If that is all there screw it back on, start the bike then get a short wire. Hold it on the nut in the middle and then touch the other end to the engine. (ie earth the mag out). If that stops the bike all is well at that end and if the switch still does not work then check the wire and make sure the switch is making a good earth........Good luck!
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 14.11. 2012 18:28 »
 What about the earth brush at the other end of the magy under the screw?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 17.11. 2012 14:43 »
I have taken the end cover off and there is no link between the cover and the magneto. Is there a brush missing. My Haynes Manual does not show it. If something is missing, who does spares for these please. My mag is the KF2, not the one with two srews.
Thanks Colin

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 17.11. 2012 15:56 »
Yes, the brush and spring are missing by the sound of it. Dave Lindsley will have lots of them. Google Dave Lindsley Magnetos. Loads of others will have them too, SRM, Lightning spares, Draganfly etc etc.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 17.11. 2012 16:04 »
Many thanks will order one Monday. Try my gearbox problems posted today.
Thanks again, problem solved.
Colin

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 21.11. 2012 15:53 »
I rang Dave Lindsley Magnetos, he sent me the parts overnight on trust. I sent him the cost of course. What a nice man, job done.

Regards Colin

PS Can some of you clutch experts look at my problem.

Ta very much