Author Topic: A7 1952 Plunger wanted  (Read 1116 times)

Pasha

A7 1952 Plunger wanted
« on: 08.10. 2008 17:42 »
I love to restore things... 1976 Triumph Stag, 1973 Yamaha RD350B etc... Anyway my deceased father's last bike was a 1952 BSA A7 and I've been fighting it, but now I just know that I have to obtain and restore one of these ... anyone have one for sale ? Thanks in advance...... Paul (Leicestershire, UK)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: A7 1952 Plunger wanted
« Reply #1 on: 09.10. 2008 04:05 »
Pau,

Welcome to the forum. I will look forward, as I'm sure others will, to stories and, hopefully, photos of your progress. I don't know that eBay should be the first place you look, but my ventures onto the UK eBay site has typically shown that there is a greater selection of "A"s there versus here, on the US site. I think there is some sense that so many BSAs were sent to the US that the selection here would be much better, but I haven't seen evidence of it.

Richard

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
Re: A7 1952 Plunger wanted
« Reply #2 on: 09.10. 2008 08:52 »

Hi Paul,
Welcome to the site.
Plunger A7 lovely machine!

With regards to finding an A7 check out the comics.
Classic Bike Guide seems to have more realistic prices than Classic Bike.
Don't be put off by one that looks perfect...there will probably still be plenty to get your teeth into. *smile*
Joining the BSA owners club will give you access to the classified in their magazine, autojumbles and their carparks are obviously a good bet too. It may also be worth asking dealers such as Lightning Spares or Cake St Classics if their customers have mentioned selling anything. Word of mouth is always best.
It might be worth checking out Andy Tiernan too.

http://www.andybuysbikes.com/

I've never bought from him myself, but I have heard good reports of him.

Classic Bike recently did an article giving tips on finding bikes from the past. If you know the reg. no. it might be worth a shot. The actual bike could have survived. A trip to the DVLA site will at least allow you to check if the no. still exists and what it's on.

Happy hunting!
Iain