Author Topic: First time it's seen the road since 1976 and clutch makes catching noise  (Read 1011 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
From JSF:

"I've got the front forks working a little better now (too much oil!) but the (newly fitted) clutch is making a 'catching' noise (which goes away when you pull in the lever)."

John,

Do you know if the bolts holding the sliding plate behind the clutch are of the short head type? Is your primary chain at the correct tension? Are the spring tension nuts double nutted or nylon restrained? (I don't really know if a nut that was loose or fallen off would make a noise or just massively jam or destroy everything).

Richard L.

Offline JSF

• Moving Up
So - we've got the Lyford clutch back off the bike again - there seems to be around an eigth of an inch play (perhaps a bit less) in the clutch basket! There's no play in the centre. Does this sound reasonable - feels a log if play to me but I've no idea how big a problem this us.
Any ideas much welcomed
John
58 Golden Flash

Offline JSF

• Moving Up
After much googling it seems a little play is normal so it's back together - can't get it to go though as has got quite damp in the shed with condensation but it will be home in my warm garage soon - then the questions will really start! Thanks again all
John
58 Golden Flash

Offline mayes

• Moving Up
The clutch will have slight play both my bikes have and do not cause noise or catching and have fine running of plates etc John
bike running in rider running out
Tri 500 5Ta
B.S.A A10 1955 Under restoration

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
Hi there fella, I had a bit of play in the clutch basket and none on the centre like you. When I took the clutch basket off I found that the basket had been catching on the case a bit and some of the roller bearings in the back of the basket where of different size and length to the rest. After I got new roller bearings and re fitted the clutch there was a lot less play, still had a bit of play but nothing to write home about. All the best chicago
Preferred location: somewhere warm and dry.
Bike: 1953 plunger Longstroke engine.