Author Topic: UK Frame collection at resonable price, who to use?  (Read 2485 times)

Offline spanersc

• A's Good Friend
  • Cambridgeshire. UK
Hi All. I'm looking to have a bare A10 frame collected from Scotland and delivered down to Cambs/ North herts border. The quotes I'm getting seem far more expensive than sellers charge for frames on ebay! or infact what I have paid myself when buying a frame. Does anyone know who or what carrier to use to get a reasonable price. Please help. Regards, Peter
Peter C    Cambridgeshire. UK   1935 Blue Star. 1936 M23 Empire-Star, 1938 B24 Empire-Star. 1939 M23 Silver-Star. 1950 A7 Rigid.  1952 A7ST.   1953 A10 Super Flash.  1954 A7ST.  1955 A7SS. 1956 A10RR.  1962 RGS.  1962 DBD34

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Re: UK Frame collection at resonable price, who to use?
« Reply #1 on: 05.02. 2013 21:14 »
Hi Peter,

I've just checked out ParcelForce online and priced up an 18kg parcel from Inverness to Norfolk (£22.75+vat) and a 24kg parcel same route (£31.58+vat) but I don't know if there is a limit on actual physical dimensions.

Maybe that will give you an idea.

Beezageezauk.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 05.02. 2013 21:26 »
How were they delivered when BSA sent them around the country, my guess would be British Rail - packaging probably entailed tying a label to it.
I think I would enquire at your local post office, they'd probably advise you.

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 05.02. 2013 22:10 »
In a B.S.A. parts van I would have thought?
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 05.02. 2013 22:40 »
In a B.S.A. parts van I would have thought?
Well I've seen Dinky models of such vans but certainly never saw such a thing up this end of the country, not sure firms had that sort of network then for spares.
I had a new frame in early sixties, memory lets me down at times but I'm pretty sure it came to Berwick by rail. ( I once had a hive of bees delivered to Berwick Rail Station )
Also lots of spares for all sort of vehicles came from Pride and Clark at Newcastle and if you phoned them up they'd put the stuff on United Bus, it would then be delivered to a depot or if you lived in the country a village shop on a bus route near you from whence you would collect it, can't remember just how payment was arranged but these were in the days when most folk did not have bank accounts, would be postal order or very often COD (cash on delivery) .
 Not many people had cars back then either so Bus service was much better then
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 05.02. 2013 22:58 »
Was Newcastle the nearest B.S.A. dealer Bill?.......... With all the British bikes on the road in those days the parts demand must have been huge, and therefore parts deliveries must have been pretty regular.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #6 on: 06.02. 2013 08:00 »
Another alternative is to try listing the 'load' on Shiply.com, a service used by couriers etc. to fill empty space in their vehicles and improve profitability.  Take a look at shiply.com.  You will be able to see comparative prices for similar journeys, with any luck.  Couriers 'bid' for your work, a bit like ebay in reverse with the price going down as more bids are received.
Terry
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 06.02. 2013 10:29 »
Was Newcastle the nearest B.S.A. dealer Bill?

No there were two near at hand, one in Berwick that mainly sold bicycles ( Chapell Brothers if anyone remembers) and Darling and Swinney at Scremerston ( about a mile south of Berwick).
Jim Darling used to race - late fifties I guess, stopped racing after an accident allegedly due to an extreme waisting of a valve stem for lightness, Tom Swinney was a bit too plumb to race I think but of the two was the best one to get a deal from, as in the sports fairing I bought for my Golden Arrow £18 pounds if I helped fit it from Tom who was not there when I went to get it so it was £19  from Jim because I didn't fit it just helped :!
However D&S was the place not to ride past as there was always a few lads in there with there bikes, it was through them I got the new frame and as sure as I can be going back half a century it came from BSA via British Rail to Berwick station where they picked it up in their garage truck, a neighbour with a van gave me a lift in to fetch it back with a new set of forks, new tank and rebuilt front wheel, £165 in total due to a coming together with an AJS on the A697 at Powburn, if I'm honest it was six of one half a dozen of the other both with just third party insurance so a case of mend your own, learn the lessons and get on with it.
but the complete strip down to install the new frame and bits taught me a lot about an A10 and even more about defensive riding.
All the best - Bill

Offline Rachel Swinney

• Active
« Reply #8 on: 30.05. 2014 00:12 »
Hi - I'm Tom Swinney's grandaughter, thanks for sharing this info.  I've been trying to find out more about his business and him as he died when he was in his 40's and I never got to meet him but I appear to take after him.  He did race in the TT got the photo's etc :-) 

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #9 on: 30.05. 2014 08:53 »
G'day Rachel,  *welcome*
Goes to show we must be careful what we say about someone. Like a small town, everyone is related to someone.
Go on over to Bikes, Pictures & Members section and tell us how a fair maiden got mixed up with A7/10's.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 30.05. 2014 09:47 »

Yo Rachel, welcome along and what Musky says..and lucky for Bill he had some good help to speak of.... *smile*

I never knew either of my Granpas either, but my sisters have been digging up some fairly 'interesting' stuff of late, so I hope you gather some good stuff...

nice to have some female interest, do you play with bikes(spelt A10/7) yourself..?

Good luck with your quest

from duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #11 on: 30.05. 2014 10:10 »
The other trick that works well if you are not in a hurry are your local furniture movers and suggest it as an addition to a return load or a back load.
If you have a line haul depot ( type of service not company name ) try them as well
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 30.05. 2014 10:18 »
Hi Rachel - a nice surprise to hear from someone who's linked to the Scremerston shop, it was a gathering place for young lads with bikes in the sixties ( well tolerated by Jim and Tom as 99 % that came in just dropped in for a chat).
None meant by the D&D tag just our way then, although Jim was a bit more hard hatted than Tom , I recall him tut tutting due to your granddad knocking £2 off a Ariel Arrow fairing I bought because I gave them a hand to fit it.

I'll see if I can dig up something from The Berwick Advertiser

adm: edited previous post above.
All the best - Bill

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #13 on: 30.05. 2014 13:21 »
Nice to have a young lady looking into our wonderful world of BSA's , re how they used to deliver from the factory it was BR has bill suspected for small orders but the new season models could warrant a lorry to bring mulitiples models and I believe we'd even send a van down for urgent deliveries . Horsman used a combo to collect single bikes form BR ,Cundles had a van ,very posh ! regards BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Rachel Swinney

• Active
« Reply #14 on: 01.01. 2015 23:35 »
Ahh just saw this response, so sorry for the late reply
Tom Swinney my grandad road in the TT in 55, and yes he did and has got a good name for the best to do business
With.  He unfortunately died when he was only 43 in 1969 I think.  Good to see he's still talked about:-)