Author Topic: Oil for gearbox  (Read 3466 times)

Online madsens

• A's Good Friend
  • 1962 A10 GF - Fyn, Denmark
Re: Oil for gearbox
« Reply #15 on: 08.03. 2013 15:47 »
Hi

I didn't know you could get in bad standing for owning an Astin Maxi ?

I had one, and was actually enjoying it a lot - until some drunken bastard backed out in front of the wife - after that the Maxi was a total loss (still got the wife!) You could stuff oceans of beer boxes in the back of a Maxi... perhaps even an A-10, never tried though..

Kind regards

A once happy Maxi owner   *smile*(now I am probably in really bad standing)

Joergen
BSA A10GF 1962
Denmark

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #16 on: 30.04. 2013 22:17 »

For the record, I switched to Penrite's Mild EP gear oil in the gear box
No more foaming, and it also quietened a gear wine in 3th, which was very noticeable when I ran it on engine oil.
One little problem left. After about 400 miles it started to leak oil at the chain sprocket oil seal. The sprocket was replaced, and to be sure, I polished the sprocket's contact surface, so I think it must be due to a bad quality oil seal.
Anyway, this means the clutch has to come off again *angry*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline GeoffsA10

• Active
« Reply #17 on: 05.05. 2013 08:35 »
I too am just about to fill up with EP80/90 but, not having had my beloved A10 plunger for long , where is the  gearbox filler point ? Daft question I know ! Is it the projecting nut at the back of the gearbox ? I will try that to start with anyway.
Thanks
Dug up an old thread treating gearbox oils, but couldn't find a straight answer to my problem in it, so I'm bringing the topic up again.

I am using Penrite's Classic light 20/60 in my engine, and also in my gearbox (mainly because it's easy to have the same oil in both).
Problem now is that it foams in the gearbox after I rebuilt it (didn't notice it before the rebuild).
Now, I like a bit of foam on my beer but not in the gearbox so I want to try Penrite's Gear box 30 or 40 (like to stick with the Penrite because there's a dealer just aroud the corner)
Anybody got any experience/suggestions? (particularly regarding the foaming)

Thanks.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 05.05. 2013 10:15 »
I will try that to start with anyway.

I'm talking S/A but think plunger box may be the same

The level plug protrudes at the rear of the outer cover behind the kickstart directly above the footrest boss, you can touch the level plug and the kickstart at the same times with finger and thumb.
I fill mine through the clutch push rod cover (oval thing on cover with two bolt holes) until it comes out of the level plug
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #19 on: 05.05. 2013 22:17 »
One little problem left. After about 400 miles it started to leak oil at the chain sprocket oil seal. The sprocket was replaced, and to be sure, I polished the sprocket's contact surface, so I think it must be due to a bad quality oil seal.

Found reason of oil leak. Didn't tighten the sprocket nut well enough last time *red*. It worked itself loose and jumped out of the seal.....

Today, I heard someone claim he was using EP00 grease in his BSA gearbox!!?? Has anybody of you lot ever tried that?
EP00 is very liquid, but still must be a PITA to drain and refill.....
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #20 on: 06.05. 2013 00:57 »
We have covered this before but just to recap for anyone who may have missed it, do not under any circumstances use grease in your gearbox.

Anyone who has had a gearbox apart will have noticed the little holes in the gear shafts and the holes drilled radially in the gears going down to the bushes. These holes are to provide lubrication to the bushes and the lubricant must be liquid to reach these places.

Now you might think if you use a very low melting point grease when it gets hot it will flow to these places but by then the damage is done.

If the seal on the sprocket side is ok and the clearance around the gear and kickstart shafts are reasonable your gearbox will not leak, you may get a slight amount of weepage around the gear and kickstart shafts but not enough to be of concern.

I use 80/90 gear oil in all my gearboxes.