Author Topic: High power light bulbs  (Read 2196 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
High power light bulbs
« on: 20.04. 2013 14:23 »
Hya,

I'm aware of folks saying they've fitted high power 6v bulbs to their bikes, possibly ln the pilot bulb socket?. Where are these bulbs available please?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: High power light bulbs
« Reply #1 on: 20.04. 2013 16:48 »
10w halogen as pilot, and a 6v halogen as main, try http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 20.04. 2013 19:32 »
Thanks for that link.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Pecon

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 20.04. 2013 22:46 »
Is Paul Goff still in business?. I wanted to buy a set of indicators and switches from him for my GF having fitted a set of his to my Norton but after sending about five emails since Christmas to both of his addresses without receiving a reply I gave up and ordered them elsewhere. I did not ring him as he states on his site that evening calls "make him grumpy" and this is the only time I would have time to do so. I did fit one of his 10W halogen 6 Volt side light bulb and it was a huge improvement, almost as bright as a dipped headlight.   

Peter 

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 21.04. 2013 01:20 »
The halogen globes certainly deliver better (greater) light.

The other improvement worth doing, is install a relay (in the headlight is easy) in the lighting circuit. This reduces voltage drop (therefore brighter headlight) because power to the globe no longer travels through the Hi / Low beam dipper switch. The dipper switch becomes the signalling device to the relay.

Cheap and easy to do.

Peter,
Just received parts ordered from Paul Goff; prompt delivery as usual.

Richard

Online raindodger

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 21.04. 2013 10:57 »
Agree totally with the lighting relay.  I fitted them to both my A10 (12v) and B31 (6v), made a huge difference especially to the B31.  Relay should be wired to release when on dipped beam.
Raindodger.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 21.04. 2013 11:22 »
Hi Richard and Raindroper

I have 6volt halogen from Norbsa on my flash - yes much better light and has been in there four about a decade now.
The relay thing tho - I never thought about there being much voltage drop across the dip switch, you learn something new so often on here.
Any chance of a wiring sketch, I'm familiar with how relays work not quite sure how you'd get one to direct current to two different uses (main/dip) , think I've just seen the on/off ones, what type do I look for.
Bike needs a rewire, it was rigged up with a standard harness for 6 volt (bikes 12) so lots of redundant stuff and lots of stuff stuck on. so while this gets done it's a good time to look at using a relay
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #7 on: 21.04. 2013 11:33 »
I have measured headlamp voltages down as low as 3.2 V.
The dip switch is very prone to corrosion.
Then you get battery corrosion
then you get no power to the headlamp.

My standard set up is to put a plug on the battery then paint the terminals with Liquid Electrical tape.
Thus my old bangger ( and all that I have rewired ) end up with a full glorious 6 V at the headlamp.
relays on the headlamp make it  even better
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 21.04. 2013 11:43 »
Beesa Bill,
I will do a sketch of the circuit and scan; it is really easy - only 4 terminals on the relay, and they are numbered.

The relay I use is a hella unit.

Give me a day; tonight have to focus on sorting out leak on RR primary case, then watch F1 (go Webber!), then MotoGP, then go to work because it will be morning by then.

Richard

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 21.04. 2013 12:29 »
Cheers Richard  no hurry though.

Much the same day planed here except go Crutchlow and Bradley

Watched Carl since he was in that R1 series they had many years ago, where all the bikes were same spec so just down to the rider, he did well no little thanks to the wingspan he achieved with his elbows, Have heard his Podium antics can be dodgy but nice to see some Brits doing well.

Yes now if I was Webber I'd be hatching a plan ( go talk to Shooee)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 21.04. 2013 12:37 »
Bill,
Yes, there is a lot of Schumaker about Vettal; both in talent (results), and ruthless personality.

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 21.04. 2013 12:47 »

Any chance of a wiring sketch, I'm familiar with how relays work not quite sure how you'd get one to direct current to two different uses (main/dip) , think I've just seen the on/off ones, what type do I look for.

You need a changeover relay with two output terminals like this:  http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/relays/relays.php#micro (MR15 on the diagram). I've just changed a fuseboard on my Land Rover Discovery and there are several relays, including a couple like that, on it - it's a cheap way to get relays and fuses.

So if you wire that so the normally on terminal goes to the dipped filament (which is generally the one you use most), and when activated it changes over to the main beam.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 21.04. 2013 13:06 »
Here is the way I do it.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 21.04. 2013 13:34 »
Great idea this, thanks Richard. That's a nice small relay. Perfect for the job. I was going to mention that someone could benefit from a schematic showing the coil and contacts, but that's shown in the third photo down. Responding to Bill's question, the relay needs what they call a C-FORM contact set, with one contact normally open and the other normally closed. If you need to find one other than the part Richard mentions, ask for "SPDT" (single pole, double throw) 6 VDC (or 12 VDC,  if that's what your running) and 30A contacts.

Raindodger's point about being dipped when released (normally closed) is good advice because relay coil or switch failure results in staying dipped rather than bright until repaired.

Richard L.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 21.04. 2013 13:42 »
Oops, amended what I said for contact current. Based on Richard's Bosch part, should be 30A contacts.

Oh, and I don't like the schematic on the side of the relay, because it implies that when the coil is energized 87a is closed, which is not true. 87a is the normally closed contact and should go to low beam.

Richard L.