Author Topic: All dyno chains in the timing chest ( US version )  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
I did a lot of research for you guys in the U S, for semi liquid Grease to pack the timing chest , to lubricate all of the Dyno Chains, for the guys that still run them. (I was not sure if this should go in engine section or electrical, being as this runs the Dyno, I will let admin decide that )  The product recommended in the forum here made by Castol is not readily available in the U S.  I contacted Lubriplate Co. and they recommend their Semi-Liquid Lithium Grease , comes in a  2 pound can.  Part #  MAG-00  LO 186-01, and is available at most Applied Industrial Technologies  stores, they will order if not in stock. They are at  www.applied.com  ...  They are also a major bearing supplier, and should be in any major town or city. This will allow you to pack the timing cover,  (about 1/4 pound plus or minus a bit), and do it 8 different times before running out of product. At that price quoted me of USD $20.00 , that is cheap Insurance for the chains good health. Not sure if Lubriplate products are available in the UK.

Bill
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: All dyno chains in the timing chest ( US version )
« Reply #1 on: 21.04. 2013 04:56 »
Bill,

So, I tried to locate the product you mention on the Applied site. It appears to come in a bottle as a semi-liquid and, therefore, I'm guessing it pours, which, I think, means it can't be packed in the dynamo chain case. Anyway, I don't believe it's necessary to pack the case. I give the chain a thorough slathering with sticky bearing grease and it seams to be enough. If you do pack the case, I think the chain will just clear a path through it and not necessarily get regreased. All of this is open to other welcome opinions, of course.

Richard L.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 21.04. 2013 09:44 »
Heat is your friend with grease for the dynamo. The heat melts (softens) the grease and it lubs the chain. When you stop and it cools and it don't leak. One less spot to worry about. *smile*
Says he who has belts on both his A's. *whistle*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 21.04. 2013 11:00 »
Hi Bill
They have a distributor in UK London but I can't find any outlets selling, could be they are orientated towards food producers as they make lubricants for that area (safe to eat ??, think I've been in that shop)

As another belt man I hesitate to advice anyone about lubing the dyno chain, Musky is right I'm sure grease will get there when it's warm provided it's not some heat proof full wax product made in year 19dot.

My own view with chains is based on experience in the early sixties when I'm pretty sure the chains were of better quality than my engineering/maintenance skills and for sure I'm of the opinion I probably overtightened them when pulling down the dyno strap.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 21.04. 2013 22:02 »
I used Castrol Spheerol grease for my dynamo chain. It's nice and thin but thick enough to stay put while the cover is fitted.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 22.04. 2013 23:09 »
After a couple of friendly PM's mentioning that my use of bearing grease might not be a great idea (or might be a bad idea), I plan to delve further. Might even pull my timing cover to be sure my dynamo chain is slippery enough. You'd think that after about 2500 miles, if it was going to give out from using the wrong lube it would be gone by now.

Richard L.