Author Topic: SRM Oil pump  (Read 6874 times)

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: SRM Oil pump
« Reply #15 on: 02.05. 2013 22:15 »
Richard,
            It is rare for the pump body to crack but it does happen.
I think it is caused by the crap metal reaching its use by date.
I saw one with the drive completely broken away.

Trev.

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #16 on: 03.05. 2013 17:01 »
New SRM pump arrived today, looks nice. Came with a new worm drive, hope the old left hand thread nut comes off ok. The instructions talk about 11 lbs Torque on the allen screws that hold the pump on. My old torque wrench is knackered and certainly will not take an allen key. So I am after suggestions re fitting the posh new blue thing. Would jointing compound be used on gasket, I use the blue stuff. ???? *eek*
Have a nice weekend gents.

Colin

Spitfiremk9

« Reply #17 on: 03.05. 2013 17:43 »
Hi Colin and Richard, just come off the phone from talking to Geoff at SRM re my pump and there new pump plus wetsumping etc . In regards my worry ,my memory was only a qtr right they do take the pump but just to check it  but don't do any machine work to it however they do modify the spring and ball in crankcase .They modify the cases so that the ball and spring are now behind the pump no need to split cases to check it ,very clever . So that shouldn't cause my A's incontenince. He mentioned resetting the ball against the pump in the usual manner which I will do otherwise think I'll just continue to drain it. As to oil drain paths .He mentioned 2 of the things above by Richard, across the drive or from feed to return which if scavenge pipe ball doesn't seat properly will fill the sump . Colin ,you should be happy with your new all singing sand dancing pump he told me that with the mods they have incorporated that will reduce wetsumping considerably if not completely will be interesting to hear how you get on with it . Finally just got to add that yet again ,in my estimation ,SRM are the bees knees for there skills AND also there customer service which is superb!! 10 years plus since they did my conversion and they still treat you as if it was only yesterday and no rushing to get you of the phone even at 5pm Friday night, Best wishes BobH. ps Richard will post pictures of dead pump over weekend , when I can find the USB cable !! 

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #18 on: 04.05. 2013 14:53 »
I took the old pump off today. the chamber it sits in was full of fresh oil and the pump spun round too easy; knackered indeed. However I did have a very good return. I did ask if anyone if anyone used jointing compound on the new SRM or is it too risky. Won't fit the new one till I get an answer. The worm drive came off quite well but I will need a new locking tab after the bank holiday. Has anyone got a spare tab in their tool box ?
Regards Colin

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 04.05. 2013 21:11 »
Hi Colin,
No goo required on the gasket, a little grease smeared on it will be fine
Make sure there are no burrs or high spots on the crankcase particularly around the stud holes
cut the SRM gasket as its for an A65 and use the cut off piece instead of a fibre washer under the pump front mount
If the engine is converted to ball behind the pump ala A65 make sure there are no gasket fibres which can prevent the ball from seating
HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Spitfiremk9

« Reply #20 on: 05.05. 2013 13:55 »
morning all , here's a picture (hopefully !!) of a well busted oil pump , Richard I think you can see the cracks!! As you mentioned this stuff must have a finite life span and once reached returns to mush ,I was lucky this happened as I started her , felt, heard a crack and although still running checked the oil return ,unsurprisingly nil . wiped the cover of to see bits

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #21 on: 07.05. 2013 17:35 »
Fitted the pump today, an easy fit. 1/4 pound of low melting point on the chain and a new posh gasket. Got the oil circulating with no plugs in, took two mins to purge the oil. Left it four hours and only got a table spoon of oil out of the sump drain instead of 1/4 pint. Even with the engine off I could hear some circulation. Thanks SRM, time will tell.
Did check the old pump over without a dismantle, still has good pressure after 59 years.

Regards to all for your help.

Colin