Author Topic: Help needed with new wiring loom  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Oscarmark

• A's Good Friend
  • Epsom, Surrey, South East England
Help needed with new wiring loom
« on: 05.05. 2013 18:37 »
Hi Guys,

When I stripped my 54 A10 swinging arm... the wiring was a mess, so now ready to start the rebuild I bought a new wiring loom on Ebay. The problem is that the colours to not represent any wiring diagram I have seen.
I have taken a photo of each end of the loom and describe the wires as shown below. The only ones not shown are the yellow and green that come out half way down the harness to the dynamo.

The first photo shows
Left to right
RED TO FEMALE BULLET
BROWN / BLACK TO FEMALE BULLET
BLUE TO FEMALE BULLET
BROWN / BLACK
BROWN
BROWN / GREEN
BROWN / GREEN X2 TO EYELET
BROWN / WHITE
BLUE
RED
BROWN / WHITE X2 TO EYELET
BROWN X2 TO EYELET

Second photo
BROWN / WHITE X2 TO DOUBLE FEMALE BULLET
BROWN / GREEN TO FEMALE BULLET
BLACK
BROWN
BROWN / WHITE
YELLOW
GREEN
BLACK
BLACK X2 TO EYELET ( ONE SLIGHTLY HEAVIER GAUGE )

My bike is 6V positive earth

Many thanks in anticipation........

Mark

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Re: Help needed with new wiring loom
« Reply #1 on: 05.05. 2013 20:29 »
Hi Mark,

Electrics generally is my weak point but I might be able to point you in the right direction.

It is traditionally accepted that a yellow and a dark green goes from the dynamo to the regulator.  On your bottom picture you have 4 wires the same length.  2 of which are yellow and dark green.  I would presume that these 4 wires go to the regulator which is normally situated in the tool box.

I would also guess that the brown and white goes from the regulator to one side of the ammeter.  On the top picture you show 2 pairs of wires going into eyelets.  One of these is brown and white.  Again I'm guessing that these 2 pairs of wires go to each side of your ammeter.

I would use this information as a starting point and position your harness accordingly.  If I am correct, once the harness has been positioned the location of the other wires will give you a good idea as to where they go.

Good luck.

Beezageezauk.

Offline cotterpinkid

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 05.05. 2013 21:16 »
Mark,

This isn't going to help one bit, but.....

Green to Yellow; Brown to White; Red to Green..........Blue to Bits!

I must apologise for wasting valuable forum space and your time with this response, but I just couldn't resist *doh*

Brian
A10 GF Plunger
Velocette Venom

Offline Oscarmark

• A's Good Friend
  • Epsom, Surrey, South East England
« Reply #3 on: 06.05. 2013 04:42 »
Thanks guys... ( even to Brian!! )
That all seems to make sense........ that being the case:
The BROWN / WHITE x2 TO DOUBLE BULLET in photo 2 could be to the tail light?
The BLACK X2 TO EYELET in photo 2 could be negative to battery

that just leaves
Photo 2
The long GREEN
The long BLACK
The GREEN / BROWN TO FEMALE BULLET

Photo 1
?

Well I am a lot further forward than yesterday!! I did e-mail the person that supplied the loom and asked for clues.... he said follow the diagram for the Super Rocket??

Cheers

Mark

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 06.05. 2013 17:28 »
Hi Oscarmark.
Here,s a link to wiring diagrams which I found helpful during my rewire last year. I also had problems with wire colours, but found once you made a start its not that difficult. You should consider adding some fuses.
http://cid-25607c70b0cf572e.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/Wiring%20Diagrams
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline Sparky

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 28.05. 2013 15:08 »
I second Billybream's suggestion to add fuses, just to protect your investment in the new wiring harness.  I added two 15 amp fuses, shown in my crudely drawn wiring diagram below, though some people add a third fuse in the generator circuit.  The fuse block tucked nicely below the voltage regulator.

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #6 on: 30.05. 2013 01:11 »
I too reciently purchased a new loom from eBay & I'm glad I got mine from this seller,
The main loom & sub looms are supplied & taged to where they go, they even supply a wiring diagram, you only have to specify + or - to Earth ....  *wink2*
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251272269076?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3138wt_968  
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 30.05. 2013 12:02 »
Hi Mark, You lucky bugger, when I got my loom all the wires are brown!!! Emailed the supplier and asked if there was a wiring code of any description based on wire lengths to at least give me some idea and he couldn't help. I just laid the wiring harness on the top tube and sussed it out with my multimeter on Ohms, taped some masking tape on each wire at ether end and numbered them Took a while and all turned out ok in the end. I fitted a 30A fuse between the battery neg post and the neg wire, might be too big?? Wired the NEW RECON SPEEDO to the tail light connector in the headlight.  Twisted a mates arm to sell me his recon' speedo how lucky am I!!! I believe Beezageeza is correct with the wiring colours reg to dynamo as my dynamo had yellow and dark green bits of wire hanging off it when I took it apart. Think I'm going to invest in a solid state reg/cutout. Cheers and good luck. Gerry :

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 30.05. 2013 12:13 »
Many thanks Wozza, this guy's never come up on my search but I never found the "other motorcycle parts" category before.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco