Author Topic: Re: Front wheel assembly 1953 A10 plunger  (Read 1306 times)

Offline bikemadinspain

• A's Good Friend
  • HOW IT ARRIVED ON DAY ONE
Re: Front wheel assembly 1953 A10 plunger
« on: 31.07. 2013 16:24 »
Hi, I am standing scratching my head at the mo, cannot figure this one out!!

I have rebuilt the front wheel rims spokes bearings etc. Then I put on the front wheel minus the front brake fulcrum. No problem at all it all lined up spun freely and looked lovely and then off it came again the fulcrum fitted and then back on ish!!! resistance was felt immedietly and then the wheel when its home is locked solid at the top of the mudguard::

Off it came again, checked the spindle ran through the bearings etc then back on again still the same problem. I have compared the Draganfly sight pics to my wheel and all seems to be correct.

I do not however understand the logic of the spindel sleeve just running free through the bearing? each time I take out the  

front hub spindle I have to go fishing for it in the wheel centre with my pinkie, dont make sense to me!!    

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have little hair left and me standing scratching it all day is not helping!!

Many thanks, NIgel K

Offline Russ

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #1 on: 03.08. 2013 05:57 »
Nigel
I am also in the process of assembling the front wheel on my 51 A10 for the first time and was also confused at first.
The spindle is stepped down to a smaller diameter at the threaded end, which screws into the right side fork.The shoulder of the step in the spindle butts up against the spindle sleeve and pushes it through the bearing and brake plate. The sleeve should protrude about 20mm into the fork leg and is locked into place when the spindle is tightened.
The alloy brake plate is held firm against the fork leg.
Russ

1951 A10 Plunger.
Australia

Offline mayes

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 03.08. 2013 12:24 »
Hi a quick phone call to Dragonfly I found them very helpful it may be an alinement issue thanks John 
bike running in rider running out
Tri 500 5Ta
B.S.A A10 1955 Under restoration

Offline bikemadinspain

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 03.08. 2013 15:41 »
Hi thanks to u both for your replies. I have just e mailed the Coy who rebuilt the wheel. I had a friend around yesterday who thinks the (toe in) is the wrong way round!!! but I have looked through all my docs and can find no specifications for this..

Must admit im not convinced myself I still think its something to do with the inner wheel contents!!

I will keep u informed

All the best

Went back to the drawing board with this 2day and stripped back off the mudguard to identify the problem the forks are totally untrue. To be honest I had not spotted it until I put the bike on the floor for the first time straddled it and straigtened the handle bars. I have attached some pics to hopefully show u my view of the problem. I ran out of time 2day but 2morrow I will look again at the fork fittings and that I have all the distance pieces etc in the correct places.

Any ideas or suggestions are aƱways welcome-----

Offline bikemadinspain

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 03.08. 2013 20:42 »
Cheers

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 03.08. 2013 21:34 »
G'day Nigel.
When you say toe in I think you mean rim offset. The forks must be straight, parallel and true first then the correct offset can be determined.
Cheers   
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bikemadinspain

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 04.08. 2013 14:17 »
Thanks for the info Muskrat but the plot thickens.

I have top yoke off again and checked it was assembled correctly which it was. I then clamped the front wheel and moved the handlebars from side to side and to my suprise found loads of movement. I can move the handlebars epprox an inch and a half each way. The whole bottom part of the fork has movement in it. The oil is correct and the only thing I changed when I rebuilt it was new oil seals as everything appeared ok, has anybody got and suggestions??   

Fingers crossed!!

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 04.08. 2013 20:58 »
Either the fork bushes or the steering head bearings are cactus.
Withe the bike on the center stand and jack under the motor to lift the front wheel off the ground and tighten the steering damper. Push and pull the wheel forward and back. You shouldn't have any more than 1 to 2mm movement max.
Loosen the steering damper and grip the front wheel between your knees and try twisting the bars L & R. You will get a tad of twist, but if it's easy the top pinch bolt, adjusting sleeve and cap nut need attention. Fore and aft movement is bearing adjustment.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bikemadinspain

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 05.08. 2013 20:42 »
Muskrat u r a star,

This morning I checked over the bike again and I had missed the most obvious thing. I had failed to tighten the pinch bolt and the adjusting sleeve correctly, (Doh) once tightened the bike took on a different format.

I will however still replace the fork bushes. I am in the process of adjusting the wheel rim offset with help from Mike at Black cat wheels and once done I am sure will be perfect.

Yep I feel a bit stupid but I think if I am not honest we will learn nothing!!!

reminded me of a quote we had in the Army

Fail to prepare
Prepare to fail!!

Many thanks to all for your help.

All the best