Author Topic: Starting the A10  (Read 3805 times)

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
Starting the A10
« on: 06.09. 2013 21:56 »
Hello!
 I am a new owner of a A10. It starts easily when cold but almost impossible to start when hot . How do you do ? Are yours hard started ?
Is there anything wrong ? Or is it normal?

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Starting the A10
« Reply #1 on: 06.09. 2013 22:15 »
Try pressing the tickler.

Offline Ethelred

• A's Good Friend
  • Northants, UK
« Reply #2 on: 06.09. 2013 22:46 »
Hot starting on a kicker can be a b*st*rd.
Some like a little tickle, some a complete flooding, some respond to the choke more than others.
Get it wrong and you'll be kicking 'till you're knackered and then one day you'll stumble over the sweet spot and never have any problem again.
Don't 'spose that helps much, 'cept to assure you it is a right of passage. ;)
'59 A10

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 07.09. 2013 00:30 »
I had this and it was a magneto fault, does it cut out when hot ?

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 07.09. 2013 07:13 »
It does not die , but I have not driven so much. It must be inspected to run on the roads, and I have some work to do before the inspection.

I hope to find any errors as soon as possible so that I can fix them in the winter . I simply must try to start and try again .

I'm worried about the magnet , but do not think it is bad as doing I have spark even when it does not start .

Guess this part of the charm of OLD bikes :-)

/Markus

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 07.09. 2013 08:01 »
Marqs,

First, welcome to the forum. I was wondering where you might be located, as in, what city and country. The forum has a lot of members all over the world now and, maybe you might be near someone who could help. Also, we love to see photos of member bikes in all states of repair. You just need to take your photos at low resolution or edit them down to 600KB. How did you happen to become interested in A10's?

Regarding the tickler and hard starting when hot, I think the first kick when hot should assume a little flooding, so, no tickler and throttle half open for maybe two kicks. If that doesn't work, no tickler but throttle full closed for maybe two kicks. If that doesn't work, tickle only until seeing a little fuel around the tickler button, again, two or three kicks. If that doesn't work, there is a fair chance that spark is the issue, even if you can see some. Many folks here have had hot starting problems that have been cured by magneto rebuilds or just capacitor replacement. When the engine is hot do you see a real hot blue spark, or is it just jumping the gap? If your magneto has not been rebuilt in many years the capacitor may be the issue. Even if it isn't, there is an inexpensive way to have a new capacitor in a do-it-yourself operation, if you are into that kind of work. Look here for "EasyCap":  http://brightsparkmagnetos.com/   I am not associated with these folks (except as friends here on the forum), but adding an EasyCap to my magneto was a big part of curing my hard starting problem. Even if the capacitor is not the problem, EasyCap is a chep way to be sure of that.

Richard L.

Offline Ethelred

• A's Good Friend
  • Northants, UK
« Reply #6 on: 07.09. 2013 10:45 »

Guess this part of the charm of OLD bikes :-)

/Markus

Got it in one!

There's a good reason that no security devices were fitted to these bikes....
'59 A10

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 07.09. 2013 11:21 »
easy cold start but difficult hot start usually = Magneto, condenser or rewind needed
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #8 on: 07.09. 2013 12:27 »
Hi Markus,
First of all a very big welcome to the forum. You will find it really helpful and a great source of information.

I suffered more or less the same symptoms some time ago. It appeared to be the carb playing up.
Have a look at the full story;
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=7075.0
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 07.09. 2013 15:58 »
Thanks everyone for all the ideas! now I have a bit to think about :)

Ok! here's a little pressentation. I'm Swedish and I live in SkellefteĆ„. It's a little embarrassing in this kind of forum full of enthusiasts admit that it is a chopper I have. But that's changed in the early 70s so it is well barred?  It has not been run standstill since the mid 80's.It is basserad on a Golden flash and the frame is completely unchanged with longer fork. I like it as it is and will not change much at the current juncture.

I have switched to me the Bsa + some other stuff this summer against a Harley sportster. Sportster is not exactly unusual and thought a -86 was too new when I love screwing OLD bikes  *smiley4* *smile*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=K17SbmqlUMw

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 07.09. 2013 16:28 »
Hey, toys are supposed to be fun and you seem to having fun. Can't say much for the color of your leather jacket, however.

We do have members in Sweden. Also, I'm jealous of cheap shipping costs from basmotor.se .

Richard L.

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 07.09. 2013 17:31 »
Basmotor seems to be a good company. However Usually I find parts for a better price including shipping in the UK :) tex gsparkplug.com, http://www.srmclassicbikes.com/ and now I have ordered a capacitor here http://brightsparkmagnetos.com/contact/index.htm and more

a lot of parts from Ebay example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120919990359?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #12 on: 07.09. 2013 17:42 »
Hello, & welcome. Nice riding gear in the video, safety first!  *smile*
Am hoping you will find the forum useful. Added flag & link to your profile. btw, have been very happy with BAS with my dealings with them.

Regarding not running when hot, as mentioned the magneto may be the first to look at. When it refuses to start pull the plugs and earth them against the engine somewhere, kick it and look for good, strong sparks.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 12.09. 2013 09:59 »
What do you think of the electronic systems available ? I find it strange that they are on 12v . Dynamo charger 's only 6volt , can you do so that it charging 12v .

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #14 on: 12.09. 2013 10:33 »
G'dfay Marcus  *welcome*
I have 12v Boyer on both my A7/10's and use DVR2's on both to make the 12v out of the 6v dynamos. http://www.dynamoregulators.com/
There are a few different ones out there.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7