Author Topic: New Member First Post  (Read 1258 times)

Offline 1959superocket

• Moving Up
New Member First Post
« on: 21.09. 2013 19:37 »
Hello All,
I live in the Warrington area and my bike is a 1959 Super Rocket of which a photo is attached.

I bought the bike as a loosly assembled project in 2007 and then stripped it down and started collecting any missing, incorrect or damaged parts and getting things restored.

I have read many of your posts over the years and these have been very helpful so many thanks to you all for that.

In 2010 I decided to get the bike professionally restored, having not got the time or engineering expertise myself, so I took it to SRM who did most of the work and did a brilliant job.

The bike was at Stafford April 2012 and won the public choice award so thanks to any of you who voted. It has many upgrades and is restored to ride not show and just had my 3rd mot at 2900 miles.
Hope You All Like it and I will give spec details upgrades if interested.

Regards

Stuart
59 SR

Offline Yarp

• Moving Up
Re: New Member First Post
« Reply #1 on: 21.09. 2013 19:42 »
Very Very nice! *welcome* only joined last week myself.
Martin

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 21.09. 2013 19:45 »
Welcome, that's a nice machine+++ (with a good dose of envy & admiration here).
& thanks for the kind words about the forum.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline 1959superocket

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 21.09. 2013 20:39 »
Many thanks for the kind comments.

The motor spec is as follows:
Crank crack tested balanced and spline repaired, journals standard, Thunder Engineering con rods, barrels at +20, I think pistons SRM used were GPM but rings may be sourced elsewhere, head fin repairs, plug hole repair, lead free seats, end feed conversion of course, dynamo belt drive, primary belt drive with cush conversion.

Frame and cycle parts:
Frame checked and painted with oil tank and toolbox by SRM.
Petrol tank was painted and chromed by Geoff Allinson of Paintwork Express, IKON shocks, progressive springs and two way damping in forks, wheels are Devon stainless with 2mm butted spokes. Hubs and shoes skimmed by SRM after wheel building.
Electrics

Dynamo on 6v with DVL2 conversion to 12v. Two cyclon 6v cells in series in rubber case to provide 12v and i have a key switch fitted as mag is just a K2F shell with electronic ignition.
Carb is new monobloc with stay up floats upgrade.

Bike has extensive srainless fittings supplied by Brian at Lightning Spares and Will Horgan at Stainless Classics

Bike assembly and set up rolling road carb set up test and first MOT by SRM.
Regards

Stuart

59 SR

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 21.09. 2013 21:43 »
G'day Stuart, welcome to the forum. That's a beautiful bike mate, 99% of the mods you can't see but make it better than new.
I can't quite see but what is the cover over the tacho cable where it crosses the Y cover?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline 1959superocket

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 21.09. 2013 22:16 »
Hello,

It is an alloy sleeve that is part of the cable I assume to protect it from heat.

I got it from Tom Johnsons Cables who really know their stuff cable lengths, proper spec not like the usual pattern stuff, you do have to be careful.

I did get one prior to that off the auction site but it was just black.

The RC drive is one of Phil Pearsons and Ian Bartram restored the chronometrics for me top job.

Regards

Stuart
59 SR

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 21.09. 2013 22:27 »
Your bike is properly lovely! The only thing that jars is the huge gap between the tyres, (tires) and the guards, (fenders). Is it because you have modern profile tyres?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline 1959superocket

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 21.09. 2013 22:41 »
Hi,

Yes exactly that the tyres are Avon Roadriders and the best for handling, grip etc but they are not as tall as the original sizes.

I put 30psi in the front and 32psi in the rear and it rides well on those Welsh roads where I use it most.

I could get the front stays cut shorter but I can live with it.

I have the original heavy rear and sports front mudguards but I thought it best to go for chrome and got them from Burton Bike Bits.

Regards
Stuart

Stuart
59 SR

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 21.09. 2013 23:54 »
Well, not everyone is into bobber rat bikes, but if it works for you, that's your business.  Uh, but really, that is an awesomely lovely bike with what is clearly top-notch mechanical work by SRM. I suppose it doesn't hurt to live in Wales if you plan to frequently visit Aberystwyth.

I'm looking forward to your entry in the 2013 Best Photo contest that will probably start taking entries soon. (e?)

Richard L.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 22.09. 2013 11:14 »
some nice touch's on your bike Stuart
Like the rear shocks with the unpainted bottom bit (are they DOT by any chance) also I generally don't like the tach drive from the magneto drive always think it looks like a bit of an afterthought on BSA' part but it's ok on yours, well better than ok it looks rather good, probably the cable cover tidies it up nicely for me.

Tank badges might bring a tut or two from the rivet counters but I like then as well little bit of counterpoint maybe ( I've no idea what that means)

Nice one - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline 1959superocket

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 22.09. 2013 11:27 »
Hello Richard,

I dont live in Wales but very close to North Wales where I do most of my riding and there are some great twisty roads and scenery.

Aberystwyth is more mid Wales but I have had many rides down in the area often by-passing it  on modern bikes just to ride the Newtown to Crossgates A483 (best road in Wales) then back up  north often 325 miles on a sunny Sunday.

Not done it on the Rocket (apart from riding back from SRM) but 200 mile runs to and from North Wales is what I use it for maily with a few stops unless I just have a short run to the local coastal town Southport which is just a 50 mile round trip.

Iam using Morris straight 40 oil and Morris AG 90 in the box changed evey 500 miles.

Regards
Stuart
59 SR

Offline 1959superocket

• Moving Up
« Reply #11 on: 22.09. 2013 11:34 »
Hi Bill,
Yes in the next year 1960 the RC drive was moved as US road testers commented about it fouling the gear change. I can understand that but it looks good with the bronze finish.

I prefer the 58/59 without the nacelle and I also prefer the round badge tank.

Those tank badges are very rare and I think I saw 2 sets over 5 years on the auction site and I got them both.I did check out a colour brochure on this from D Lewis.

The shocks are IKON from SRM with painted top section and chrome bottom they are adjustable for pre-load on the spring and there is a hidden top rebound adjuster too.

regards

Stuart

59 SR

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 22.09. 2013 18:29 »
HI Stuart
Welcome
I saw you bike at Stafford, Yes, well deserved  *smile*
I,m presuming the front guard is RGS replica? I dont know why they sit so high??
Were BSA using up old stock 21" guards ???
I have one for my RGS and fitting it upsets the bikes look (in my opinion)

Cheers
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline 1959superocket

• Moving Up
« Reply #13 on: 22.09. 2013 19:16 »
Hi John,

Thanks.

Yes the wheels are right size but the old ribbed tyres are much deeper and Ok for show but rubbish for riding on.

However I do wonder about the stays and if they are too long to explain:

I got the mudguards from Burton Bike Bits and the front is an A10SR59 6 tab from their invoice with 2no 12inch stays and 2 no centre stays.

Now the centre ones snapped twice at the fork leg (vibes or rubbish thin tube who knows ?) anyhow I did not buy a 3rd set off them and SRM made two in solid bar painted black and I fixed them using rubber washers and been OK since. Reason I mention is that when replacing the centre stays with Burtons replacements they did seem a bit short so I do wonder if the 12 inch stays are too long?

Rear mudguard is DBD style 42-6831 also from Burtons and both mudguards are good chrome save the L shaped rear stays which is very thin rubbish chrome so might get them re-chromed.
Cheers
Stuart

59 SR