Author Topic: New acquisition! Gear + Clutch questions  (Read 3640 times)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
Re: New acquisition! Gear + Clutch questions
« Reply #15 on: 03.01. 2014 00:50 »
There are many variables in clutch issues around wear or loose parts.
The 4 spring is not a bad clutch, I would suggest investigating before you spend.

Drag comes in various increments, could be wear in the basket or uneven lift making the clutch less free than it could be. but if the bike tried to creep briefly or doesnt find neutral while stationery its dragging.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 04.01. 2014 16:37 »
Well, problem found I think! I last rode it a couple of weeks ago, dragging quite badly but the after a couple of miles it started slipping....so much so that when I tried to start it the next day you couldn't kick it over...Today, I tried it again and clutch wouldn't release at all, so although I haven't got any new parts yet I just had to look and see...
First took out the case level bolt and a good bit of oil came out (have checked a few times and doesn't seem to be wet sumping btw), then drained it....over a pint of thick oil....gear oil I think. Way too much I believe? (Still haven't got round to buying a manual!!)
The clutch seemed to be lifting evenly so I took the springs and pressure plate off, still solid though, you could turn the engine over using the clutch nut (9:1 comp and plugs in), began hooking the plates out and they all seemed almost bonded together, some I had to force apart with a knife blade... you could still turn the engine with one of each left! Also the insides of the basket coated in a red rusty coloured thick grease and lots of pitting on the plain plates....
Should mention here that I bought the bike recently from someone who had had it rebuilt and then not used at all for about 4 years, all of the clutch parts seem to have been replaced.
So, I'm thinking that the general lack of use was causing the dragging and then as it got soaked in oil as I rode it, it began to slip, leave it for a while...the plates stick themselves back together again and so on....?
I was fully expecting to see the clutch hanging off and maybe some damage to the mainshaft so fairly pleased really, my plan was to fit a Pearson clutch to this bike and use the existing one on a bike I'm building from parts....is it worth attempting to clean the friction plates in some kind of solvent? I've tried cleaning up the plain ones and they are going to be OK I think...

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 04.01. 2014 17:03 »
They'll clean in petrol, or any sort of kerosene.

Or boiling water and detergent.

The primary case may have filled with engine oil while the bike was idle for a long time. Some people use monograde 40 or 50 oil, which is very thick when cold.

A whole pint shouldn't leak through from the gearbox.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #18 on: 04.01. 2014 19:50 »
G'day Rob. Sounds like the PO used the wrong oil and too much of it *ex*. Clean plates (and rest of primary) in solvent/petrol. Use ATF in there and try again, the older grade ATF type D is best. Set the lift square and all should be good.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #19 on: 04.01. 2014 22:32 »
When leaving the bike unridden for any length of time
we used to pull the clutch leaver in, & slip a 2" strip of bicycle tube over it & the grip.
to keep the plates separated...   *idea*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #20 on: 05.01. 2014 00:49 »
Did you use new springs when re-commisioning it?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #21 on: 05.01. 2014 05:44 »
naaaa....  Harley springs never loose their tension...     *whistle*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #22 on: 05.01. 2014 08:42 »
That's right WozzA, the gear changes are that slow you have time to use both hands on the lever. *fight*
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #23 on: 06.01. 2014 20:23 »
Cleaned the friction plates in Jizer and got the worst of the corrosion off the plain plates, put it back together....and tried it....lovely!!!
Gearchanging is so much better and no sign of it slipping either....
I still have a Pearson clutch coming but no problem as the other bike I'm putting together has no clutch at all....just need to decide which one deserves it the most!

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #24 on: 07.01. 2014 08:42 »
Great to hear Rob. By the looks of the weather over there it'll be a while till it gets a good test.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #25 on: 07.01. 2014 12:36 »
Unless Rob fits floats !! BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #26 on: 09.01. 2014 17:03 »
Or maybe try riding on water as Guy Martin did the other evening on tv! But really just pleased that I can now change gear easily....several other jobs I can think of to keep me busy though so new question in the fuel section now....

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #27 on: 18.01. 2014 11:21 »
Fitted the Pearson clutch this morning, lovely piece of engineering and very light. It came complete with a modified sealing plate with an oil seal in it since the clutch is designed to run wet, no problems at all fitting it and the only mod is to shorten the original pushrod. I hadn't realised before that the pressure plate bolts are just done up tight so there aren't any concerns about getting an even release...or how having to adjust the amount of pressure they apply, I don't think that's the case with the Bob Newby clutch so glad I chose this one.
Its wet and cold again today so only a brief try out....first impression is how light it feels, gearchange even better, finding neutral easy and from the feel of it so far, no question of it even thinking about slipping!
Now, I might have my rose tinted specs on at the moment but I think the whole transmission seems quieter as well...so, overall very pleased!!

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #28 on: 18.01. 2014 12:32 »
Isn't it marvelous what a difference a good clutch makes. Gear changes twice as quick and neutral is where it should be.
BSA made a great step forward with the plunger 6 spring, then 4 steps back with the s/a 6 spring. *problem*
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #29 on: 19.01. 2014 12:13 »
It is....had another ride this morning...(the suns shining for a change!)....and it feels like a different bike....
Since I'd already sorted the problem with the original clutch I was wondering if it was going to be sensible buy but it is, no doubt in my mind at all.
Oh, and btw, found a probable reason for the high oil level before, the level bolt hole was blocked with sealant...thinking whoever assembled it before kept on putting oil in until he ran out of the stuff!