Author Topic: cleaning A 10 anti sump ball valve question  (Read 899 times)

Offline lillygunny

• Moving Up
cleaning A 10 anti sump ball valve question
« on: 05.01. 2014 16:04 »
I was wondering if it would be safe to remove the oil pump and spray a can of WD 40 though the anti sump check valve to clean any sludge preventing the spring and ball from working properly, thus maybe reducing wet sumping in my RGS. I already have installed an SRM oil pump and it still wet sumps a lot. I plan to remove the sump plate for drainage. I am hoping that the WD40 will dissolve the debris, but I am worried that this might flush it all on the bearing surfaces. Is there a chance this would work and not cause problems? I realize that this will not help a worn spring.
Thanks,
Ron

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: cleaning A 10 anti sump ball valve question
« Reply #1 on: 05.01. 2014 18:57 »
G'day Ron. I've done it and it did help marginally. I used carby clean and not all that much. I started with the pistons at the bottom of their stroke, pushed the ball back with the nozzle and gave a few short bursts. Then wound motor to top of stroke and pushed the ball back to allow cleaner to run out along with some oil that remained in the crank. Job done no harm.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 05.01. 2014 20:17 »
Ron,
              It really needs to be reseated but unfortunately the engine has to be stripped down to do so.

Trev.

Offline lillygunny

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 05.01. 2014 22:40 »
Thanks Trev, when you say the ball needs to be reseated, is that because there is sludge build-up on the pump side of the casing? If so, would careful scraping with an appropriate tool (dental tool) combined with flushing improve the seal?
Thanks,
Ron

Offline The Artful Bodger

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 05.01. 2014 23:06 »
Hi Ron
 I wouldn't go scraping around in there, you'll probably make the problem worse by scoring / damaging the seat. To re-seat the ball you need to tap the ball into its seat with a hammer and punch, only possible with the engine stripped down. This will re-shape the seat to suit the ball, it wears over time. Obviously at the same time renew the ball and spring, no point putting a weak spring or possibly miss shaped ball back.
Colin

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 06.01. 2014 08:33 »
To add to Trev and TAB's post. I buy two balls (no joke), I use one to seat as per TAB says and then throw it away and use the other one.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline wardleybob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 06.01. 2014 08:37 »
Hy it is possible to do a conversion  on your engine in situ .as off a50/65 . It is Mutch better and you can clean it by simply moving the oil pump .I have done loads if? You are carefull there is no problem .