Author Topic: Speedo Drive 'O' Ring Oil Leak Prevention  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Fredl

• Moving Up
Speedo Drive 'O' Ring Oil Leak Prevention
« on: 05.01. 2014 17:23 »
Happy New Year!

I am having issues with oil making its' way up the speedo cable and gumming up the speedo mechanism - I hear there is a solution whereby
an 'O' ring is fitted at the gearbox end to prevent this happening?

Anyone fitted one and could advise as to how to do it / where to buy the appropriate seal etc..?

Many thanks!
Fredl
United Kingdom
1959 A7
2005 Thruxton Bonneville

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
Re: Speedo Drive 'O' Ring Oil Leak Prevention
« Reply #1 on: 06.01. 2014 09:24 »
If oil is getting up into the speedo then it suggests that the driven gear part No67-3175 is worn or the gear bush and should be replaced, fitting an O ring on that spindle will need to have groove machined into the spindle this will mean having access to a lathe as to size that would be determined by the depth of the groove as the inside size of the O ring and the outside size by the diameter of the gear bush. You would also have to be careful not machine too great a depth of groove in the spindle as you would weaken it. I would take the easier option and replace the worn parts.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Fredl

• Moving Up
Re: Speedo Drive 'O' Ring Oil Leak Prevention
« Reply #2 on: 06.01. 2014 15:18 »
I just received this advice from Draganfly:

In case of leaks, make sure the spiral groove on the speedo spindle is clean and you can fit a small fibre washers at the speedo spade to help prevent oil leaks

Thanks Bob - I think the part might also need replacement as at around 60-65mph the needle flickers in 5mph increments which (I am told) means the part you describe being worn...think I should use the washers AND replacement the part!

Thanks again
United Kingdom
1959 A7
2005 Thruxton Bonneville