Author Topic: A7 Primary Chain Case  (Read 2115 times)

Offline vwphillips

• Moving Up
A7 Primary Chain Case
« on: 18.01. 2014 16:46 »
I have been attemption to remove the primary chain case for my A7 SS

First problem

There is no chain adjuster screw as shown in http://www.bsawiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Chapter10
or prain plug as discribed in the Haynes Manual.
As there does not appear to be a level plug how to I establise the correct level for what I believe should be 1/4 pint?

Second Problem

As I removed the screws oil drained from the bottom of the case oil drained from the bottom of the case
This oil was red, I expected brown engine oil(SAE 40)
Can any onr guess what the red oil may be?

Third and Major Problem

One(the third from the front bottom) allen screw will not come out, the key rotates
some of the other screws were very tight but released with an extention on the key

I have ordered a new set of allen keys in the hope that they will catch and undo the screw
but if not Iwill need to drill out the SS head unless there are any other suggestions?

I am fastly betting to regret buying this recently restored machine.

Offline stu.andrews

• A's Good Friend
Re: A7 Primary Chain Case
« Reply #1 on: 18.01. 2014 17:13 »
  Problem 1           Measure out a quarter of a pint & add via the top screw plug in the chaincase
  Problem 2           ATF fluid has been added to your chaincase. This is fine as it will cause less clutch slip. It also has the advantage of knowing where the oil drips on the road are coming from!  Engine oil-                            blackish. ATF- red. Gear Oil- golden with a sickly smell.
  Problem 3           The screw will probably need drilling out & a helicoil insert fitted. Most engineering shops will be able to do it.
2010 Yamaha TDM 900-Touring
2012 Triumph Bonneville SE-Fun

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 18.01. 2014 18:12 »
As there does not appear to be a level plug how to I establise the correct level for what I believe should be 1/4 pint?

On my 1955 plunger A10 the second or third screw from the front of the chaincase, (at the bottom of course) serves as a level indicator. There is a cut-out on the inside of the outer case so that oil can reach the screw hole when the screw is removed. Or just use a measuring jug.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 18.01. 2014 19:49 »
Hi Vw
The wiki link is for the early rigid and plunger models
HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 18.01. 2014 20:02 »
Before committing to drilling out the allen screw, I think I would try a different approach. Find a cheap  easy-out  that is larger in diameter near the top than the allen screw measures across the points. Break it off where its diameter will just clear the flats of the allen screw and turn counter clockwise. With luck, the easy-out will take a firm bite in the screw. I think the easy-out is unlikely to break off in the screw before the hex strips further, so, if it doesn't work, you shouldn't need to worry about trying to remove the screw with a broken off easy-out in it.

Richard L.

Edited due to a lot of thumb-typing errors.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #5 on: 18.01. 2014 20:29 »

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 19.01. 2014 01:27 »
Yes I'd go with Richards method first and as an extra rig it up to an impact driver. Failing that just drill the head of with a 17/64" drill. Once the other screws are out the cover can be removed leaving the shank of the screw proud to get vice grips on.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 19.01. 2014 09:01 »
I used penetrating fluid, heat, (carefully applied from a plumbers torch) and an impact driver when struggling to get the screws out of my chaincase. I still had the original slot headed screws; it should be easier to remove socket head screws but on the other hand they are likely to be nipped up tighter when fitting. There is really no need for the chaincase screws to be super tight.

When I was a teenager I put allen screws in the cases of my Ariel Huntmaster because I thought it was a cool thing to do, (and it was a modification that I could afford). I expect I tightened them up as only a 16 year old can do!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 19.01. 2014 10:23 »
I expect I tightened them up as only a 16 year old can do!

Know what you mean ;)

Slotted screw look good until removed / returned a couple of times  *sad2*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 19.01. 2014 11:57 »
A method I've found that often works is to take a slightly larger hex key, cut the longer leg off and carefully grind a shallow taper on all 6 sides so it only just fits into one of the good bolts, then hammer it hard into the damaged one. And undo with the appropriate sized spanner.....hopefully!

Offline vwphillips

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 19.01. 2014 12:11 »
Thank you for the advice and the info on the level and drain screws

I have ordered a set of easyouts

the new set of allen keys and easyouts are due Tuesday/Wednesday

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 19.01. 2014 14:17 »
I like both Musky's and Unclerob's suggestions as much as my own. A good set of easy-outs and
allen keys are worthwhile to have, so, no waste there. I think I just assumed most folks here are like me, with decades of accumulated loose tools like drill bits, allen keys and a smattering of easy-outs. Maybe I should have emphasized CHEAP easy-out when suggesting breaking it off. The easy-out method's only chance of working is if the tip just barely enters the screw, which will be iffy with one that is not modified. Then, still no guarantee. Maybe I should have added something like, "let's see what others have to say," so we had a little discussion before the money started to flow.

The fact is, the screw is cheap and it's dead anyway, so Musky's approach may be the quickest and would have been the cheapest way to go. Now, it's really going to be interesting to hear what worked.

Richard L.

Offline Briz

• A's Good Friend
  • West Norfolk UK
    • Custom cycle developments
« Reply #12 on: 19.01. 2014 14:51 »
Yeah; just drill the bugger off.
If you have a reversable drill, a LH drill bit is even better, half the time it'll grab & unscrew the offending bolt anyway.
LH bits are easy to get on ebay.

Offline vwphillips

• Moving Up
« Reply #13 on: 25.01. 2014 17:37 »
I am glad to say that the screw came out with the new allen keys

I will not be using it again

Thank you all for your suggestions