Author Topic: Points question  (Read 676 times)

Online scotty

• Resident Legend
Points question
« on: 16.03. 2014 03:02 »
Tinkering away on setting my timing on the mag today when all of a sudden a tiny ball bearing jumped ship from behind a retainer on the points plate  *eek*

Obviously has rolled out of sight for now and I'll probably find it months from now when I'm not looking for it  :!

Does any one know the size of the ball bearing and what its purpose is ?

many thanks

Scotty

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Points question
« Reply #1 on: 16.03. 2014 04:44 »

Hiya  Scotty, I think you'll find- or maybe not- that it's not actually a ball bearing, but a small price of insulate, kind of in the shape of a Crusty the Clown hat....sits in the recess  over the pivot pin at the face of the point arm.....well that's what mine was like, but lost it the other week when the spring broke and I hadn't realized whenI pulled offoff the cover.
Still works ok without it

Can probably make one with a blob of urethane or similar, and a Cruisy Clown hat mould... *eek*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 16.03. 2014 20:40 »
I machine them out of PVC rod.

Trev.

Online scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 17.03. 2014 00:13 »
Thanks for the replies  *smile*

I'm ordering a new points plate and points.....do you think it comes as part of that ensemble *????*

Failing that I'll have to source some material and fashion a crusty the clown hat  ;)

She ran with out it and the static timing is now adjusted great  *smile*

Can't say the same about the oil pump / circulation  *sad2* ...but more about that in another post i guess

Thanks for the advice on the points

S

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline KenF

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 17.03. 2014 10:24 »
The Crusty the Clown hat usually comes with the points set. If the points set is handed, then it's usually stuck in place. If the points set is universal (can fit clockwise and anticlockwise CB assemblies), then the CtC hat is usually loose and easily lost. Best to stick it in place as the first job.

If you manage to source a new points plate, please let us know where from.

Most Lucas CB assemblies seem to run perfectly well without the CtC hat, although if the spring blade is loose, it will swing out and rub on the cam. Most even seem to run perfectly well without the spring blade.

Ken.