Author Topic: tight brushes  (Read 1463 times)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
tight brushes
« on: 12.05. 2014 18:34 »
No output from my dynamo so took it off for a look, have had trouble with it previously with a stuck brush and it would seem the same has happened again.
Gave all the little terminals a good clean and checked the brushes, although they did seem to have continuity from the top of the brush to the armature the brushes themselves could not be moved, I had to tap the brush holder quite firmly while tugging on the brush wire, they came out but slowly and covered in a white powdery deposit.
I cleaned them up and relieved them a wee bit with a fine file (messy), put it all back together and it's working fine now.
My question though for our resident Lucas Gurus is this, would it have been ok to put something on the brushes like battery terminal paste or copper slip, I didn't as I thought the carbon of the brush should be slippy enough and don't want to encourage more  chalky deposits  on them. but maybe there is something on the market that might cure this
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: tight brushes
« Reply #1 on: 12.05. 2014 20:21 »
A smal, carefully applied, amount of copperpaste (the brake pad mounting stuff) should'nt hurt. You do the experiment and tell us how it went ?  *smile*

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 12.05. 2014 21:08 »
You can rub them down smaller, on sandpaper or a file.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 12.05. 2014 22:18 »
You can rub them down smaller, on sandpaper or a file.

Thatès what I did TT

You do the experiment and tell us how it went ?
Ah too late it's together again, but if the brushes stick again I'll try it

Unregulated voltage was way over 12 at times 18 even,  21 was seen but fleetingly probably an unsteady hand on the voltmeter probe ;)
Tomorrow I'll try the meter between battery and negative lead to see how my Vreg is working and think about a voltage indicator of some kind (maybe a LED that goes off at 11v or similar).
Thoughts regarding electronic ignition
1. quite amazed how well the bike started considering the low voltage (7.3)
2. although obviously not going properly it did go at this voltage
3. had I not had electronic ignition I could have been caught out if a ride went into evening with a flat battery
4. OTOH I nearly got caught out and away from home - still more than happy with it though *smiley4*
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #4 on: 12.05. 2014 22:40 »
Thoughts regarding electronic ignition
1. quite amazed how well the bike started considering the low voltage (7.3)
2. although obviously not going properly it did go at this voltage
3. had I not had electronic ignition I could have been caught out if a ride went into evening with a flat battery
4. OTOH I nearly got caught out and away from home - still more than happy with it though *smiley4*
Worries, worries, worries Bill. Makes me think sometimes selling the bikes and spend the rest of life in happiness... Naaah, just joking!
Although I must confess since going 12V & electronic I find myself riding with half an eye on the ammeter to see if the needle's well on the + side of the scale *smile* ;)
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 13.05. 2014 08:22 »
I find myself riding with half an eye on the ammeter

I have an ammeter that is a few degrees on the positive side even at rest so always wondered about it even though it went minus if the lights were switched on (bike not running).
After refitting the dynamo it showed a good charge going in and even balanced when the light switched on (although allow for the off centre at rest), I might replace it sometime, for now I'm looking at a low battery voltage indicator of some kind, maybe a row of those voltage dependant LED that would come in when I sitch the ignition on.

You could buy a lot of that chocolate your countrymen make for the price of bike *smile*
All the best - Bill

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 13.05. 2014 08:41 »

Bill, at risk of telling what you may already know, and maybe not all, but the  ammeters I've seen have a 'set-screw' on  the back....??
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 13.05. 2014 09:59 »
a 'set-screw' on  the back....??[/quote

I just presumed that a screw on the back was for damping the needle, and as it doesn't jump haven't bothered. I'll have a look and if it has give it a turn and see what it does - thanks

PS the correct term when referring to my knowledge is not "what you may already know" but more like "what you may have known at some time in the past" *conf*
All the best - Bill

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 13.05. 2014 10:25 »
Bill, Paul Goff sells a battery status monitor that sounds like the kind of thing you mention....
http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyelectrex.htm
I keep on meaning to try one myself but haven't got round to it yet...

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #9 on: 13.05. 2014 10:47 »
Bill , that rings a bell!!just can't remember why , Bob ha ha
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline warmshed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 13.05. 2014 21:03 »
Bill, Paul Goff sells a battery status monitor that sounds like the kind of thing you mention....
http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyelectrex.htm
I keep on meaning to try one myself but haven't got round to it yet...

Something similar on ebay for half the price, anyone tried one? Can be used on 6 or 12 volts systems.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6v-12v-24v-LED-Battery-level-voltage-monitor-meter-J-/200627678428

Offline warmshed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 13.05. 2014 21:05 »
With the brushes set to the right size and the holders clean, I would not use a lubricant, it is more likely to jam when it collects the dust. Carbon is a good dry lubricant itself.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #12 on: 13.05. 2014 21:10 »
You could buy a lot of that chocolate your countrymen make for the price of bike *smile*
They say that eating chocolate makes you happy so I got a couple of bars tucked away in the shed for when things go wrong (again)
And if it goes really wrong, I got a bottle of that fine gin your countrymen make ;)
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
All the best - Bill

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 13.05. 2014 22:08 »
With the brushes set to the right size and the holders clean, I would not use a lubricant, it is more likely to jam when it collects the dust. Carbon is a good dry lubricant itself.

Yes.  Grease sticks brushes.