Author Topic: dodgy footrest  (Read 1044 times)

Offline derek taylor

• A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
dodgy footrest
« on: 17.06. 2014 20:55 »
dodgy footrest can someone please tell me if there is some sort of locating notch to hold the left hand footrest in place.
when i tighten it up it still drops down with a bit of foot pressure on it and pushes the brake on ?

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: dodgy footrest
« Reply #1 on: 17.06. 2014 21:55 »
Hi Derek,
The shaft and footrest hole are splined, so that can't move, but on the other end of the shaft there's a plate with a locating pin that locates into a hole in the frame. The pin may have sheared off.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline derek taylor

• A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #2 on: 18.06. 2014 06:19 »
thanks morris

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #3 on: 18.06. 2014 10:13 »
Hi Derek, had an interesting/frustrating time with one of my footpegs last year . Tightened up really hard the footrest would still move and as morris said it's on spline which coupled to movement will quickly become knackered. O n checking I found that the footrest was by wear further down the hanger which meant although the nut was tight it was tight aginst the hanger spline not the footrest . Had to make up a spacer ( used an old fork bush ) and problem sorted and still good after 1 yr , worth checking partictularly has the splines and footrests are getting as rare as rocking horse poo! best wishes BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline derek taylor

• A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #4 on: 18.06. 2014 20:44 »
thanx topdad i think its the same fault as you had

Online terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #5 on: 19.06. 2014 16:52 »
I've had the same problem (splines no longer mating as necessary owing to wear) and initially I thought I would be able to find a spline pair (male/female) to weld on and press in as replacements.  Absolutely no luck there!

As the footrest would hold provided it was not too far onto the mount I have welded on a collar to limit travel - not yet tried in anger though.

Occasionally the Indian suppliers offer foorests but I have not been brave enough to give that a try.  We'll see how the bodge (alternatively engineered solution?) works first.  And whenever footrests come up on ebay, and sell for large sums, I cannot help wondering about the state of the splines.

Perhaps it won't be long before enough of us has a need that will make commissioning a batch a sensible proposition.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 19.06. 2014 17:52 »
Hi ALl,
I bought a pair of splined hangers from Draganfly a couple of years ago, (to cut up and repair a Huntmaster frame where they are welded in place  *eek*)
I dont know where they were made but they seemed ok quality
I have sourced footrests from ebay from time to time, most difficult to find are the late type lefthand ones
Have you tried Yeomans for some?  http://yeomansmotorcycles.com/contactus.html

HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #7 on: 19.06. 2014 19:38 »
Hello John - that looks like an interesting steer, thank you.
Terry
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline Mick Hall

• 1955 BSA a10 SA
  • Active
« Reply #8 on: 12.12. 2020 13:12 »
Looks like I am about to have fun! I have just bought a 1955 swinging arm Golden Flash. With no front footrests. Chap said he mislaid them, but as I was leaving said previous owner had rear sets on, presumably thinking he was on a RGS? Anyway guy then gave me 1 side footrest and hanger, hanger was just under 3" long (ignoring peg). Looks new Indian? I then bought a pair of footrests and hangers off Ebay, to find they were one side footrest & hanger, after being advertised as footrests, which I questioned as only one was in photo, BEFORE bidding. This hanger is 4 7/8" long, can anyone help me and tell me if either are any good. Also as I left he mentioned it wet sumps, so reading up it sounds like I want to fit an SRM pump and new oil pressure spring & check seat? I have just got back into British bikes after a few years and looks like I have a baptism by fire, any help appreciated. 
1955 BSA a10 SA
1955 NormanB2S
2000 Honda Pan European
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1988 Honda C90 Cub
1953 cyclemaster 26cc
1966 Morris 1000
1980 Shetland 570

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 12.12. 2020 21:53 »
hi mick, original footrests always get damaged in a crash and have always been in short supply. as above posts the splines wear which you need to adjust the footrests to your best position. i think indian replacements may be the way to go, as mentioned above.
most brit bikes wet sump and read about all the various ways owners deal with it. an srm pump would help and is a good investment.

Online Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #10 on: 13.12. 2020 09:56 »
interesting website Yeomans, anybody used them? expensive? good? helpful?