Author Topic: occasional petrol leak  (Read 729 times)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
occasional petrol leak
« on: 23.06. 2014 15:02 »
Hi Everyone, need at bit of advice re concentric carbs and mine in particular. It's a 930 type and has caused no probs for about 5 yrs . I've been expecting problems with petrol after the winter break but nothing behaved fine now suddenly 3 weeks ago just arriving back after a nice blast out put her on the centre stand looked down just has i was turning the taps off and it looked like I had my own well the stuff was gushing out off the tickler . I tapped it with a spanner and it stopped and thought I'll do that , hey presto next week lovely weather of I shoot on another ride -no probs at all ,that was after i'd realised I hadn't looked at it . Last weekend out again and at first stop I had petrol everywhere ,second stop the same and then home where it appeared fine . So stripped it down expecting gunge and god knows what else to find nothing filter clean float bowl clean float seems ok (I will check it properly tonight )but nothing out of the ordinary ,so any ideas ,anyone had similar problem.any help greatly appreciated.
On another note main jet size is 250 is this about right for an A10 ? Again any imput would be of help, regards BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Seabee

• A's Good Friend
  • 1957 Road Rocket
Re: occasional petrol leak
« Reply #1 on: 23.06. 2014 15:29 »
Bob,

Sounds like a sticking float needle/seat.  Sometimes they can be cleaned up, but if it has a rubber tip it may have been damaged by ethanol.  Best of luck,

Joe
1961 Super Rocket
1957 Road Rocket
2009 Harley Electra Glide Classic
1993 Harley Springer Softtail
1971 Harley Shovelhead
1970 Harley Sportster Chopper
1957 Harley Panhead Chopper
1982 Yamaha XT550
2001 KTM EXC 400
1970 Honda CT70
Southern Illinois, USA

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 23.06. 2014 15:51 »
Sounds like a sticky float rather than a dodgy needle. I've suffered those (sticky float that is) as one offs that I've put down to a little bit of muck holding things down, but not really as a repeat exercise. Might need another pull down and looksy?
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Seabee

• A's Good Friend
  • 1957 Road Rocket
« Reply #3 on: 23.06. 2014 21:06 »
Could also be the occassional piece of trash if the filter is not working well or the hose is flaking internally.  I know I've dealt with some unique issues since the ethanol crap has been pushed so hard here in the midwest.  I have had the needles get so gummy that they will stick in the needle bore.  Anyway, happy hunting!

Joe
1961 Super Rocket
1957 Road Rocket
2009 Harley Electra Glide Classic
1993 Harley Springer Softtail
1971 Harley Shovelhead
1970 Harley Sportster Chopper
1957 Harley Panhead Chopper
1982 Yamaha XT550
2001 KTM EXC 400
1970 Honda CT70
Southern Illinois, USA

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #4 on: 24.06. 2014 11:08 »

thanks for the replies Gents,one thing that did surprise me was the lack of crud , I was expecting alsorts but it looks clear, think I'll invest in a tin of carb cleaner and also check out the tinkler mech

Thanks for the imput 'don't know anything about concentrics has I said earlier ,never had one before ,previous had a 389 on her but eventually got fed up with constant probs with that  and then fitted this one and no problems for 5 yrs so can't be bad. I'll check the float carefully and then have a go at the tickler . I 'm also puzzled by another thing that happened . It started to flood first time when I was trying to adjust the tickover ,just adjusted the slide very little and had I had a gusher ! gave it a clout and it stopped ,wierd or what ? oh and the tinkler did stick a few times but didn't cause a flood just seemed out of line then managed to fiddle it back to work, Final quiery about mainjet size ,only asking cos its down at the mo ,its 250 whereas the mono should be 240 methinks any thoughts again great fully rec'd regards BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom