Author Topic: covers our street in a haze of blue smoke  (Read 6195 times)

Online olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend
Re: covers our street in a haze of blue smoke
« Reply #30 on: 18.02. 2009 11:23 »
Gday sausage,    (probably smoked sausage by now)
More years ago than I care to admit my mate and I owned an A10 which started to smoke like yours.
On the advice of the local mechanic we removed the sump and found a bit of <something> stuck under the ball bearing in the oil return pickup. It worked fine after we removed that until we blew the barrels off. Even then it ran with a rock jammed between the top frame tube and the rocker box ... for a while. Thinking about it you wouldn't reckon there would be enough oil in the return line to cause a problem but it worked for us. Its an easy fix and worth a look.
now about the thorspark ignition. I've been looking at it for a while. They don't give out much info do they. Do they use the battery or the primary winding in the magneto?? and can you please post a picture of the points replacement thingy.
cheers

Offline a10sausage

• A's Good Friend
  • 58 flash
« Reply #31 on: 18.02. 2009 22:31 »
regarding the thorspark....you have to remove the mag end cap and then slip ring and points...the pick up unit slides into position where the slip ring was...the coils ...we have mounted them in the tool box...the battery is used for power to the coils...the 3 wires from trigger unit  are wired to the - and positive on the coils and one to the negative on the battery...the positive wire from the battery runs via an ignition switch to the positive on the coils....hope this helps....i will get some pics soon!
1959 bsa bantam d1
1956 ariel huntmaster
1922 triumph model h
1930 sunbeam model 8
1936 bsa q21 500 bluestar
1939 velocette mac
1975 honda cb750
2013 victory vegas

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #32 on: 19.02. 2009 11:58 »
S'pect you'll need an Alton alternator next!
Good luck with the electronic gizmo though, probably 'better' for accurate timing and advance curve. Friend of mine's got one on another marque - and it certainly works well . . . when his charging system is working properly.
On the magnetic plug point, I put an SRM thing on the bottom of mine, with its easily removable plug (to get occasional wet-sumping oil out, and to enable me to drain the cases when changing the oil without having to disturb the plate) - and it's great. My only beef was that the thing is supplied with long shiny allen screws in place of longer replacement studs (because the alloy plate is a lot thicker than the old steel one). I made up longer studs, because I think those particular small threads in the crankcase look a bit vulnerable to going out of shape (although in this case they were actually OK). Good news is the whole plate won't have to come off often - and maybe that's why the kit comes with allen screws.
On the valve, I prefer feed-line taps with magneto earth or ignition cut-out built in, although haven't fitted one to the A as there is only rarely a problem (probably because the inaccessible ball in the inaccessible wotsit is a bit suspect). I was going to, but the plan never quite got finished. They work great on 2 of my oilier toys, which can fill a sump in relatively short order, deliver oil through to the poorly-sealed primary side and induce clutch slip on a grand scale. Best antidote is constant use . . . I try!
Good luck with whatever you do though, and hope the filter conversion turns out brilliantly. There's been a fair amount of stuff on that subject in the forum over the past year, which a search should throw up.
Bill

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #33 on: 20.02. 2009 21:20 »
FWIW I usually ride at the rear as most of the other members ride A series bikes which accelerate a bit faster than the old M20 which I am campaining at present.
From this vantage point I notice that after a break when all the boys have left their bikes on the side stands ( left hand side) they all smoke a fair bit from the left pipe for the first 10 minutes or so.
The riders who sit their bikes on the center stand will smoke on either side or some times both.
Some of the smoke is blue & some is white.
We have put this down to oil draining down the valve guides and either into the pot and getting burnt ( blue) or vapourising in the exhaust pipes ( white)
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline snowbeard

• American Citizen in Lisbon, Portugal
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #34 on: 23.02. 2009 19:41 »
Hey Sausage,
I gots no help on the smoke, but it sounds like you've found the issue by now.  I have a worn guide on my right exhaust and it craps up the pipe and leaks oil out the silencer joint, but doesn't seeem to smoke badly except on a hard pull at speed. 

what i was writing for was to say that's my A10 startup that shows in the related videos for yours! :-) good company for it!
\1981 Suzi GS650
\1988 BMW K100LT in Lisbon!!

=

Offline a10sausage

• A's Good Friend
  • 58 flash
« Reply #35 on: 24.02. 2009 18:32 »
hi folks....i hope all my bsa ailments will be cured on friday....a big maintainance day.....full oil change......external oil filter kit.....front fork springs to change...and helping my mate fit his thorspark....see u soon...the sausage
1959 bsa bantam d1
1956 ariel huntmaster
1922 triumph model h
1930 sunbeam model 8
1936 bsa q21 500 bluestar
1939 velocette mac
1975 honda cb750
2013 victory vegas