Author Topic: Another one (problem, clutch centre removal)  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Alex kettle

• A's Good Friend
  • 1960 bsa a10
Another one (problem, clutch centre removal)
« on: 10.07. 2014 21:15 »
I am another one struggling to remove the clutch centre, and have now made more trouble for myself. It all started out when I was piecing the clutch back together on the a10 ( sat for 30 years) and noticed that when the clutch basket was turned by had it had a noticeable " osolation " in it. After Taking the clutch apart this "osolation" is also present in the clutch centre. My only conclusion is that the key way insert is slightly too big thus not allowing the clutch centre to sit properly giving the movement I'm experiencing. I have since used a dti gauge to determine it is the clutch centre at fault and not the shaft that is bent.  I have tried the 3 leaver bearing puller and the clutch centre will not budge. I have now also damaged a couple of threads on the main shaft ( see pic )so would also like one of you to enlighten me on the thread  here in the hope I can buy a die to run down it. I can sympathise with all of you who have struggled with the same problem as I now feel depressed at the situation. Was hoping to get the bike on the road for a friends wedding early august but think with the current problem (s) that is not going to happen.

If there is anyone in the midlands willing to lend a hand? I'm in leicester and would be more than happy to pay for their time. Thanks for any help in advance

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
Re: Another one
« Reply #1 on: 11.07. 2014 00:12 »
I am another one struggling to remove the clutch centre, and have now made more trouble for myself. It all started out when I was piecing the clutch back together on the a10 ( sat for 30 years) and noticed that when the clutch basket was turned by had it had a noticeable " osolation " in it. After Taking the clutch apart this "osolation" is also present in the clutch centre. My only conclusion is that the key way insert is slightly too big thus not allowing the clutch centre to sit properly giving the movement I'm experiencing. I have since used a dti gauge to determine it is the clutch centre at fault and not the shaft that is bent.  I have tried the 3 leaver bearing puller and the clutch centre will not budge. I have now also damaged a couple of threads on the main shaft ( see pic )so would also like one of you to enlighten me on the thread  here in the hope I can buy a die to run down it. I can sympathise with all of you who have struggled with the same problem as I now feel depressed at the situation. Was hoping to get the bike on the road for a friends wedding early august but think with the current problem (s) that is not going to happen.

If there is anyone in the midlands willing to lend a hand? I'm in leicester and would be more than happy to pay for their time. Thanks for any help in advance

On my B33 I've had real issues getting my centres off and have typically found that getting a decent sized gas welding torch on them to heat them up fast is the only answer. I have both small propane and butane torches and they just wont heat up the centre fast enough.
Get a puller on tight and throw some decent heat at them fast and they come off with a real bang!
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 11.07. 2014 00:13 »
HI,
The clutch centre has an internal thread for an extractor, be careful as there are two different threads on the available pullers  *conf*
You should need the 26 tpi one, make sure its threaded  fully into the centre before tightening the centre bolt
Some heat from a heat gun will help, tighten the extractor bolt, apply the heat and if necessary a firm thump with a copper mallet on the bolt head will remove the centre

A problem can arise with primary chain alignment when a new centre is fitted, due to different taper depths
Also lots of poor quality centres out there *sad2*

A thread file should clean up the shaft, If I cam remember its 5/8th x 20tpi

HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #3 on: 11.07. 2014 11:15 »
A slightly modified 3 leg puller will work wonders.
You will have to grind a little off the legs to get them under.
Beg borrow buy or steal a rattle gun.
Put the puller on and do it up reasonable tight
Heat up the centre till it smokes ( or spit boils ).
Wack the rattle gun on the puller and it will pop off.

If you want to spend a little more money get a bearing separator  and puller.
Same drill to remove it but the seperator will not do any damage to the back of the center where as the 3 jaw puller might.

Dress the end of the shaft first and put the nut back on.
This helps to prevent the end of the shaft mushrooming out under the force of the puller.
If the puller has a point on the end that will not fit totally inside the shaft , file it off first.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

beezermacc

Re: Another one (problem, clutch centre removal)
« Reply #4 on: 11.07. 2014 15:46 »
I always use a bearing puller. They are not too expensive and if you are careful in selecting the size the semi-circular jaws fit perfectly on the recess in the clutch centre. Some heat on the centre is also make the job much easier. You can probably repair the threads with a thread file.

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 13.07. 2014 08:24 »
Hi.
I had same issue, but the extractor which I had purchased especially was the wrong thread pitch ( intended for Triumph I think), then tried three legged pullers with out success, so finished up welding the extractor to the clutch centre and with a little heat and a tap, it came off. Then easy task to clean up clutch centre. As already mentioned you should be able to tidy up the threads with needle files or similar. I,m in Desford if you require any assistance.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline Alex kettle

• A's Good Friend
  • 1960 bsa a10
« Reply #6 on: 18.07. 2014 19:34 »
Finally got the dam thing off. Question now is which centre is it that I have as this one is now no good. I take it it is one from a triumph as it's a four spring but which one am I looking for?
Chaterlea25 said that there are a lot of poor quality ones out there so has anyone bought one and been happy with there's? Can't beat a reccomendation . Thanks for the offer of help billy dream . Much appriciated. I will have to ride over and meet up when I've got it on the road.
Thanks all for you knowledge

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #7 on: 19.07. 2014 00:55 »
If you can not find a die nut for the shaft then get a another nut, cut it in 1/2 with aone of those really thin cut off wheels.
Dress each 1/2 on an oil stone so the edges are sharp .
Put it on the far end of the shaft where the thread is good, clamp the two 1/2s together with a good pair of vice grips.
Oil the shaft and jiggle the nut back down the thread.
Some do it in two or three passes, clamping tighter each time but I have found it makes little to no difference.
The important thing is to be working from the good section of thread back towards the damaged area.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 19.07. 2014 15:45 »
Hi Poshman1

. I take it it is one from a triumph as it's a four spring but which one am I looking for?

NO, Triumph ones have a different taper and also no scroll section for the primary case sliding plate

I have fitted an SRM one to my Super Rocket, with thrust washer ala A65
Again a reminder to check primary chain alignment after fitting the new centre

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
« Reply #9 on: 20.07. 2014 11:56 »
Hi Similar probs with removal, got my clutch centre puller from SRM also new clutch from them you wouldn't believe it was the same bike. The clutch is as light as a feather. Cannot recommend them highly enough.
Regards Huddie