Author Topic: Oversized roller bearings  (Read 1782 times)

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
Oversized roller bearings
« on: 05.12. 2014 15:09 »
I believe it is possible to purchase 0.001" oversized roller bearings for the 6 spring clutch. (mine has a neat 1/4 inch play at the chain wheel and I think that's a little bit freer than it should be.

If anyone has located a supplier of the above 1/4 x 1/4, plus a thou.... I'd be grateful to know. Thanks.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Oversized roller bearings
« Reply #1 on: 05.12. 2014 15:34 »
Hi Gavin,
I'm assuming you are on about a plunger engined bike as the 6 spring clutch on the swingarm bikes has ball bearings???
The swing arm clutch bearings are not .250 wide they are nearer .220, the wider rollers will bind up the clutch
I'm not sure what width the plunger clutch rollers are,? I remember a post here some time ago about fitting a ballrace to the plunger clutchs ???

Anyway over size 1/4 x 1/4 +.002 rollers can be obtained fro the "vintage bearing co"
or a bigger selection from
http://www.peters-bearing.de/produkte_neu.php?klasse=8&#data

HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 07.12. 2014 08:21 »
You are making the correct assumption John. it is a plunger frame. The rollers are flat both ends and not spherical. Thanks for the clues. I am following up on them.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 07.12. 2014 09:08 »

Yeah Gav, I think I bought some a long time ago, but unsure where to find them now, maybe try Statewide Bearings. Their outlet up my way has always been helpful and knowledgable, and have good range of stuff, including obscure 'O' rings.....  http://www.statewidebearings.com.au/branch-locations/- I saw a mention just a few days ago of the ones John mentioned, are known as '6mm' which apparently equates to some weird measure like 1/4" x 15/64".....
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 08.12. 2014 13:10 »
Thanks Dutch, but my old school reckoning leads me to believe that 15/64 is actually 1/64 smaller than 1/4, or 16/64. (divide each side by 16 and I get 1/4. so forgive my reluctance to buy them.

I did however call Stateside who say they have not sold any BSA rollers in the last 10 years. So I time warped right outa there.

Having Dutch inlaws, and other rellies, I have shown some diffidence in making contact with Holland. (I have yet to be right about what day of the week it is, and that very question can cause the outbreak of a Royal Commission)

so i had a crack at the Poms... and lo and behold the order is filled both 1 & 2 thou oversized rollers are on their way. (Here's praying the packaging is good and they don't get mixed on the journey out to the antipodes.)

Thanks for the help and clues. the new bike will be one step closer come Christmas.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 08.12. 2014 17:11 »
so i had a crack at the Poms... and lo and behold the order is filled both 1 & 2 thou oversized rollers are on their way.

Glad we can still get something right, being without phone for six days now and a continuing war with Npower still ongoing (power company)  after 18 months B****y  privatisation, read yesterday that 75 coalition MPs receive donations ??? from private health companies, Am I getting old and Grumpy - yeeeeaaaa

Still work on the Flash is coming good small paint job and wiring to reconnect (nothing wrong with the wires, just trying to remember where they go ( the writing on the small paper tabs I put on them 12 years ago has dimmed somewhat and my memory even more so) *smile*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 08.12. 2014 23:18 »

Geez Gav- I think the only Dutch bone in my body may possibly be a small toe joint, possible throwback to medieval days...
Thanks Dutch, but my old school reckoning leads me to believe that 15/64 is actually 1/64 smaller than 1/4, or 16/64. (divide each side by 16 and I get 1/4. so forgive my reluctance to buy them.
    I agree, but you misread me- I simply gave a close Imperial conversion (I'd seen some that size advertised somewhere recently  ) to confirm they're what you don't need, and not suggesting you did. ...I only ever say in the bearing Shop what a bearing is for if I need to
 *beer*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 09.12. 2014 08:32 »
Never tell them what its for. 1 they won't understand and 2 if they do they'll charge you double.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 09.12. 2014 09:40 »

Never tell them what its for. 1 they won't understand and 2 if they do they'll charge you double.
Cheers

Yeah that's kinda what I mean, apart from explaining what a 'BSA- or whatever ' is.....
Australia

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 09.12. 2014 12:29 »
Just to clarify DuTch... I was referring to the 3 suggested sources for the bearings... Holland, Home, and the Brits.

Wish you had posted earlier about not revealing reasons for purchase... they charged an arm n a leg. But I figure if I get 2 clutches working for the price (I ordered 2 sets of bearings) then I would break even.

I am collecting a few parts that ain't exactly what I ordered and the extra cost of returning them doesn't seem worth it.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 09.12. 2014 13:15 »
Cheers

Ha - that's always amusing down at Halfords. They very quickly retract the offer of fitting the item for you.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza