Author Topic: Six spring clutch bearing  (Read 3730 times)

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
Re: Six spring clutch bearing
« Reply #15 on: 14.01. 2016 09:02 »
 everthing is in place according to drawings .       thanks   tw
Semper in excretia sumus solum profundum veriat.

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #16 on: 14.01. 2016 09:23 »
Your clutch basket looks very close to the inner case I have just measured mine and it is 13mm from the inner case to the center of the teeth on the clutch sprocket. Have you fitted the plate behind the sprocket as the previous  member has asked. You should also check to make sure that your clutch sprocket is in alignment with the engine sprocket.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 14.01. 2016 11:15 »
hi bob , yes I did fit the plate behind the chainwheel and the distance is 13mm same as yours , as I have said on my preveous  enquiry under  "clutch  chainwheel"yesterday ,  the outer ring on the chainwheel width is 10mm the bearing is 15mm , if I bring forward the chainwheel forward level it is out of line with the engine sprocket    thanks  tw

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #18 on: 14.01. 2016 12:04 »
tumbleweed if you look at the 4 photos that I put up at the beginning you will see that in the first photo which shows the new bearing you can just see the outer balls and if you look at the 4th photo which is the original bearing you can also just see the outer balls. Your clutch basket needs to come out slightly then you can buy a set of  shims to bring out the engine sprocket to bring it into alignment. Have you tried it with the original bearing to see if there is any difference.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 14.01. 2016 13:05 »
hi bob , that is an avenue I will go down for sure , the original bearing was the same width , I fact I can see where the inner ball has been rolling in the CENTRE of the outer ring so only half the bearing seems to have been used .  I think shims will be the answer  .  thanks   tw

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #20 on: 14.01. 2016 15:21 »
Give the new bearing a gentle tap.
I will be guessing that the old bearing had worn a grove into the race and the balls on the new bearing are getting stuck in the groove.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #21 on: 14.01. 2016 16:10 »
the groove isn't that deep , it looks as if the chaincase is for a roller bearing  to me,   (not knowing much about beezas )        I am beginning too lose the will to live     am going to have a weekend of R andR and see how things turn out on Monday    ive just eased pass another birthday so that's a plus           cheers  tw

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #22 on: 14.01. 2016 16:38 »
That's what a six spring clutch can do to you , nearly put me of BSA's for good when I was 17 ish always stuck with a 4 spring unit since no way perfect but you do get to ride much more.. When I first saw your post I thought here we go again some poor guy going to waste time and money on a clutch which doesn't warrant it however when I saw the bearing from dragonfly I thought perhaps they had retro found a way to sort the piece of crap but now looks like another way just to torment us poor souls . Sorry to be so negative TW but whilst I admire the skill of the guys who get the 6 springers working whats left of mine is and will remain in the bin . Best of luck with it Bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #23 on: 14.01. 2016 18:12 »
thanks for your sympathy bob, I think I might go in the 4 sprung direction after all  cheers   tw