Author Topic: Contact Breaker Cover  (Read 572 times)

Offline Russ

• A's Good Friend
Contact Breaker Cover
« on: 12.06. 2015 00:19 »
Can someone please inform me, and or post a photo, of what the correct contact breaker cover for my KF1 magneto, on my 51 A10 Plunger, should look like.
Mine is currently fitted with a metal one which has the engine kill button on it. Is mine correct?
Thanks Russ
1951 A10 Plunger.
Australia

Offline Russ

• A's Good Friend
Re: Contact Breaker Cover
« Reply #1 on: 12.06. 2015 00:40 »
Sorry guys just realised I made a typo in my original post. Should be K2F magneto. Have now found photo of a K2F which has a plastic end with lead which I assume goes to a kill switch on the handle bars. Is this the one I should have to be politically correct?
Russ
1951 A10 Plunger.
Australia

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 12.06. 2015 04:01 »
 Trouble is Russ, that I think (could be wrong) that each different end cover also has a corresponding bearing housing to suit, so you could be opening a worm can....(can 'o worms)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Russ

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 12.06. 2015 05:35 »
Thanks Dutch I will look into it further
1951 A10 Plunger.
Australia

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #4 on: 12.06. 2015 06:31 »
According to the Lucas parts lists a '51 should have magneto 42248E, and again, according to the lists, cb cover should be 485619, which is the plastic job with the kill wire coming off at a tangent, with a clip to secure.
The alloy dome is part 459037, attached by two screws through the ears, and I'm fairly sure was to be found on some Beesa twins, but maybe right at the beginning on A7s, dunno. Most commonly seen on AMC twins.
The bearing housings do vary, it's a bit of a minefield as duTch says. Manual/auto advance retard, plastic cover, alloy one with the ears and the button, screw-on big jobs later on, etc. Often, if minor mods are needed to the fasteners (screws where there were pillars threaded both ends etc), it's not so bad but it gets more awkward when the mag body hasn't got the tapped threaded holes in the right corners and so on. Hard to know without seeing exactly what you have there.
If you've got a good working mag, maybe best to leave well alone until you need to do something more major to it? The bits are available to create whatever exact variant is needed - but it can be a fiddle, swapping bearing housings and outer races in particular.
Depends how politically correct you want to be I guess!
Cheers.
Bill

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 12.06. 2015 07:36 »
 Russ, I forgot to say that I have the same end cover as you, but I pulled out the button and bodged up and grafted in a spring loaded carbon 'brush' connected up to a kill switch....much beeetta..have posted pics somewhere here before
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Russ

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 12.06. 2015 08:20 »
Thanks again Dutch and groily,
I will see if mine can be made correct without too much pain otherwise I will live with what I have.
Russ
1951 A10 Plunger.
Australia