Author Topic: A7 52 Plunger headlight switch/ammeter panel rubber seal  (Read 1395 times)

Offline larryc

• Moving Up
  • Back into BSA after 45 years!
The headlight switch/ammeter panel seal was shot when dismantled, I am ready for re-assembly and wondered if they are available, or has anyone used an alternative material, the original had 3 x rubber spikes to locate in 3 x matching holes in the headlight unit, I have been thinking on the lines of black door seal stuff, any suggestions will be very welcome.

mucky hands again, great!

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Couldn't find them either.
Ended up by cutting a 2 mm o-ring to fit the groove and glued the ends together with super glue.
Seems to hold well.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened

Isn't it normally a length of 'O' ring type rubber (~2mm) threaded through those holes, or held in with those small 'clips', and open ended at  the bottom end...?

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline larryc

• Moving Up
Thanks Dutch and Morris, I will try the 2mm 'o' ring, the one I took off had three pips on the rubber to fit into the holes, but as you both suggested the panel should hold the 2mm rubber. Cheers, Larry.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
 I can't remember where I got that info, but have an idea, will chase it up- I also can't remember if I used it or he didn't have some and I just used a bead of silicon or similar...

edit; 2 minutes later...well bugger me, I did a search for "Lucas switch panel seal", and the first result is the guy who told me about it- still doesn't have any...but the details are there  he's a local guy here

http://www.bmhstore.bmh.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1461

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline larryc

• Moving Up
Cheers Dutch, they are out of stock at the moment, I have sent them an email. regards Larry

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened

I punched that part#516442 into Draganfly too,  it said "excellent stock level"....give 'em a try...?   

https://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/component/mijosearch/search?filter=2&query=516442
Australia

Offline larryc

• Moving Up
Thanks for your help, I have ordered 1 metre of 2mm 'O' ring from Ebay £1.99 inc delivery, thanks everyone, Larry.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened

update;-
     Just by chance looking for ammeter part number, came across this again. I've had the meter panel off a coupe of times the last couple of weeks, and discovered I don't have anything other than 3mm 'O' rings under each screw, and as I don't have the three 3whateverBA screws have improvised with SS ~5/32"ww  screws with nylock nuts.

Off topic, I finally put some thought in and've come to realize that my +/- 30 Ammeter is likely from a Massey Ferguson tractor (stamped on back#36047B); does anyone know the stock prt#/ ...? Doesn't matter too much but a lesser deviant range would be more indicative of what's happening

I'll go looking for a more better topic *eek*
 Cheers
Australia

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Dutch,
                  You want 36084F which is a model CZU27.  8-0-8 amps but is marked --0-+
They are being made by Lucas again but one I installed recently fell apart before I put it into the headlight. It was badly assembled so I sealed it up with Silastic. It works OK.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: A7 52 Plunger headlight switch/ammeter panel rubber seal
« Reply #10 on: 28.11. 2015 22:35 »
 Thanks Trev, good to know about the flimsiness- is it a metal body or like the clear plastic ones I've seen?   

I actually found the info in Brians post here; http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=4183.msg28360#msg28360, but by that time was had hit full personal discharge and dozed off

I also found another thread where you said  the 12 A +/- were for 12V, which intrigued me; Ill find it again and address it there

EDIT; my mistake I read it wrong; found it here:
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=5035.msg34300#msg34300
 I'll go there
Australia

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 29.11. 2015 01:38 »
Clear plastic, similar to original but the back plate is Tufnol unlike the plastic of the original. I don't think that they are necessarily flimsy, just a quality control issue in my case.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 02.04. 2016 16:55 »

Just another update on the "headlight switch/ammeter panel rubber seal", when I was at the bearing shop the other week, i asked if they had any 2mm rubber "whatever it's called", he set me straight and sold me a metre of 2mm " Buna-N-Cord", so if anyone needs some that's where to get it.
Australia

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 03.04. 2016 07:38 »
I'm half way through the SR headlight and dash panel and was wondering if there was some rubber insulator between them, and now I know. Thanks

Clear plastic, similar to original but the back plate is Tufnol unlike the plastic of the original. I don't think that they are necessarily flimsy, just a quality control issue in my case.

Yep, mine fell apart too Trev, (same gauge) so I fitted a volt gauge in the hollow case  http://www.jaycar.com.au/Test-%26-Measurement/Panel-Meters/LCD/Panel-Surface-Mount-LED-Voltmeter-5-30VDC/p/QP5582   Cheers TC
59 Super Rocket