Author Topic: Additional 6v Battery  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Terryb

• A's Good Friend
Additional 6v Battery
« on: 15.07. 2015 16:02 »
Hi All,

By adding another battery in series on my A7SS. Am I thinking that it would double the Ampere hours of battery power? Example, current battery is 6v 4.5 Ah, additional battery 6v 4.5 AH = 9 AH?

Online Klaus

• Valued Contributor
Re: Additional 6v Battery
« Reply #1 on: 15.07. 2015 16:09 »
Hi Terry,

for this you have, adding another batterie parallel  + to + and - to - than you have more amps.
As your discribe, when you fit in series you the 12 Volts 4,5 amps.

cheers Klaus

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 15.07. 2015 16:11 »
no - connect in series will give you 12 volts at 4.5 ah to get 6 volt 9 ah connect in parallel !!! but I type to slow and Klaus beat me to it ;)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 15.07. 2015 17:09 »
Whew! I thought you were disagreeing with Klaus for a second there, Bill.

Terry, that is some small battery you have there, mine is 14 Ah @ 6V. Anyway, if you have a good dynamo and regulator (like a DVR-2), unless you have an electric starter, or plan to read by your headlight at the campsite, or plan on laying on your horn for an hour or so, extra ampere-hours probably don't mean much.

Richard L.

Offline Terryb

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 16.07. 2015 08:46 »
Oops! Sorry I forgot my school Science lessons.

The bike came with a Gel Battery 6v, 4.5aH and it seems that the batteries that fit in the Battery Box are that size. I'll do some more research. So, if I do manage to increase the AH of the battery, it shouldn't have any impact on the dynamo performance?

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 16.07. 2015 09:00 »

Oops! Sorry I forgot my school Science lessons
... *bash* *bash* *bash* *smile*=glee
 The benefits of more A/h, is that if your dynamohum/chain/belt/genny/reg jack-schitts their/itself, you get further home..damhik

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 16.07. 2015 09:11 »
The benefits of more A/h, is
for most of us with a maggie and home before dark just a bit more weight to transport around.
for those of us with Electronic managed spark I'm not sure but think voltage  is more important (again discounting night riding)
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Klaus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 16.07. 2015 09:22 »
The benefits of more A/h, is
for most of us with a maggie and home before dark just a bit more weight to transport around.
for those of us with Electronic managed spark I'm not sure but think voltage  is more important (again discounting night riding)

Electronic ignitions all had to use 12 Volts. Boyers need allways a minimum of 11.5 Volt, otherwise missfire is geting on.

I have conferted all my bikes to 12 Volts with Alton Generators with an output of 12V 180 Watt. All time l drive with lights on an it produces a bright shining beam, that seems burning hedges *eek*

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 16.07. 2015 11:15 »
Electronic ignitions all had to use 12 Volts

I'm wondering about the SRM one as I know a lad that has had that for a long long tome now and he's never mentioned 12 v conversion (that I can recall).
But yes Klaus I know my Pazon ignition is 12 volt, unlike Boyer though it works down to 10 volts, it really has to be down to 6 to 7 volts before it get too scary to ride (DAMHIK) and won't be doing the engine any good.
Pazon I believe were Boyer employees who improved the design, once again I could be wrong

that seems burning hedges

You little pyromaniac *smile*
All the best - Bill

Online Klaus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 16.07. 2015 11:41 »
Electronic ignitions all had to use 12 Volts

I'm wondering about the SRM one as I know a lad that has had that for a long long tome now and he's never mentioned 12 v conversion (that I can recall).

that seems burning hedges

You little pyromaniac *smile*

hi Bill,
at their 2008 Catalogue SRM wrote  "The kids requires a12v electrical systhem but can be wired for postive or negative earth.
(If you have a 6v systhem this can be easyly converted to 12 v)

Realy busy the guys form SRM. The addiditon calls nearly 200 Punds excluding Vat for convertion to 12 v.
I don't know the price today  but it seems not a big deal.

cheers Klaus

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 16.07. 2015 12:27 »
The addition calls nearly 200 Pounds excluding Vat for conversion to 12 v.

vat in the UK would add £40 pounds = £240, I think I paid around £140 for dynamo 12volt conversion, then add to that a DVR2 so £200 ish elsewhere.

The Guy I mentioned had this done around 1998 or so but probably same applies
All the best - Bill

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #11 on: 16.07. 2015 14:59 »
I think I paid around £140 for dynamo 12volt conversion, then add to that a DVR2 so £200 ish elsewhere.

The simplest and least expensive way to go 12v would be to buy a DVR2 (£46) and the belt drive conversion (£77). The belt drive kit gives similar charge characteristics to the 6v system. There are other advantages too. For example the windings on a an E3L 6v dynamo are  heavier gauge than the windings on a E3L 12v dynamo conversion because more turns are required to produce 12v and so a lighter gauge wire has to be used. Also an E3L dynamo converted to 12v will have a maximum out put of 60 watts (the same as an E3L  dynamo operating in 6v mode) whereas because the windings of an unconverted E3L dynamo are of a heavier gauge, nearer 80 watts are reliably available when using an electronic regulator such as the DVR2. To go -ve earth is simple enough. Just change (reverse) the battery and Ammeter connections, Oh, and the dynamo will need to be flashed to re-polarise it. Make sure also that you order a -ve earth regulator. Another advantage of the DVR2 is that there is no discharge on tick over. On my bike I have fitted LED lamps so the ammeter is largely ornamental. Incidentally, the dipping LED headlamp lamp that I mentioned in a previous post  http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=9352.0 satisfied the MOT requirements. The bike passed its MOT a couple of days ago, and the MOT tester commented on how bright it was.
John

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 16.07. 2015 17:57 »
Now you tell me  *smile*

Probably would have gone that way John but I did things well out of that order, I did the - earth when ordering the Pazon (yes easy) and the DVR2 when the V-reg went funny (agree with your comment re DVR).
got the Flash ready to roll so next job is to rewire the RGF, got a few LED and digital stuff to play around with so lookout for some silly questions
All the best - Bill