Author Topic: Condenser  (Read 5032 times)

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
Re: Condenser
« Reply #15 on: 03.04. 2009 22:54 »
I've changed condensers on a couple of mags and they are not too bad a job for the average DIY fettler. I like to do as much maintenance work as I can myself, partly to save money and partly for the satisfaction derived from tackling the less routine jobs.

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #16 on: 04.04. 2009 08:37 »
Thanks all for the input. I am one that does most things myself. I served an Engineering Apprenticeship and enjoy it. The only things I don't do are machining (because I don't have a lathe or miller) and wheel building, which although I am told is easy I do not fancy it. As someone has already said there are people out there waiting to do the work and the good thing about this hobby is that you have the choice it's up to you. So happy spannering, or riding, or both.
John
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 15.06. 2009 21:36 »
 Just came across this thread,

Does anyone know of a web-site that shows or explains the rebuilding of a K2F? I have looked into this a little, and I believe with the proper patience it could be done relatively inexpensively. The wire I believe is "spring wire" (that's what the re-builder called it) and its listed on e-bay pretty cheap. The condenser and bearings and the rest are all out there, and not overly expensive compared to having it done.

I would really like to try this, and even if it fails I would enjoy puttering with it- but I don't have any idea of what is involved or where you would even begin... *conf*

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 16.06. 2009 12:00 »
 I did find this, hope I can add a link here and not screw it up!

http://www.brufnut.de/WORKSHOP/LUCAS/lucas.htm

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #19 on: 16.06. 2009 14:10 »
I've once replaced the capacitor, without disassembling the armature, went well with patience and care not to damge wiring. Filled it with epoxy (or was it silicone, don't remember). (Now my problem is at the other end, old bakelite slip ring failing).

Good link, thanks.

e

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 17.06. 2009 00:44 »
Lee, if you are contemplating rewinding your armature and have no idea where to start, forget it.
To do it properly you need a winding machine plus all the insulating medium etc. Add to that the primary winding wire is only .002 thick. It is worth the money to get an expert to do it.
Rebuilding the magneto is fairly easy once you get the armature done. Probably the most fiddly bit is shimming the end float. If you don't have the puller for the inner race, again, forget it.
Trev.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #21 on: 17.06. 2009 13:39 »
Gees,
It sound like the "conspiracy of the OZ Trev's" but the man with the fine sounding name is correct.
The wire used is actually called "hair wire" for good reason.
It is very easily broken and if you do then it is back to the start.
Better is to find the local maggy guy, pop over there and establish a good working relationship with him.
Usually they are quite happy for you to hang around ( particularly if you talk their type of bike ) and they can be a mine of information.
Armatures are not particularly strong and easily damaged if you try to jury rig some thing to pull the bearings out with and they will have all the bits & pieces on hand to do a proper job.
And I do enjoy stretching myself to do jobs that I have never done before but when you see the box of scrap bits that Scotty could not fix you realize that there is a thing called "false economy"

Now as to "suck it & see" that is fine if you ride by yourself and end up 100 miles from nowhere with no spark.
But it is a bit different if you are out with a group. Unless you are a smoker it becomes a bit tedious if every 1/2 hour or so you end up sitting on the side of the road while some clot fiddles with some thing that could have and should have been fixed properly before the ride.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline 69Bonni

• A's Good Friend
  • '67 A65T, '58 Roadrocket, '69 Bonnie, '60 350 AJS
« Reply #22 on: 17.06. 2009 16:36 »
Are two colonial friends are right,

I used to work in aircraft workshops repairing and servicing aircraft parts and i was involved with Magnetos. Down in the bowels of the ship we had a little shop with a lathe, Mill etc, there was an attachment on the Lathe for winding bobbins and armatures. But i hated getting sent down to rewind Mags and High Energy Igniters, starters ect. Fiddley arsy things and being young then and always in a rush it didnt bode well when the bloody wire broke (a Lot).
I did do some bike mags back then but it was painful, a Chief Petty Officer took over and showed me how to "Do it properly" after asking why i was using HM property to fix motorcycles!

I wouldnt attempt to try it without the right tools as Trev and Trev say! Get the man who can!

Recent club runs here sugested that someone carry a spare Mag amongst the group just incase.
Kind Regards
Steve Rickman

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 17.06. 2009 22:47 »
Lee, that website kicks much ass.  Thanks for the link.
Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 17.06. 2009 22:49 »
Now as to "suck it & see" that is fine if you ride by yourself and end up 100 miles from nowhere with no spark.
But it is a bit different if you are out with a group. Unless you are a smoker it becomes a bit tedious if every 1/2 hour or so you end up sitting on the side of the road while some clot fiddles with some thing that could have and should have been fixed properly before the ride.

Nobody wants to ride with me anyway.  Something about leaving people behind... *sarcastic*
Alex

Too many BSA's